Samba causing error message on XP computer
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Samba causing error message on XP computer Reply with quote

Code:
Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   NetBT
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   4321
Date:      10/11/2017
Time:      8:56:30 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   CASTI
Description:
The name "GREENGABLES    :1d" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 192.168.0.100. The machine with the IP address 192.168.0.104 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

192.168.0.100 is the XP computer
192.168.0.104 is the Gentoo Samba 4.5.13 server computer
192.168.0.102 is another Gentoo Samba server computer on the network.

Wins is not enabled on either. The samba server is set to OS level 255. All computers on the net are in workgroup GREENGABLES (following Fitzcarraldo's blog) . There is no domain.
GREENGABLES is the XP computer's workgroup, not the computer name. Casti is the computer name and it can readily read and write the samba share, so why the error event?

The samba server's tesparm output: [url] https://paste.pound-python.org/show/6yDFMzQouqeX4fk7yyUh/ [/url]
192.168.0.104's samba log.smbd [url] https://paste.pound-python.org/show/EoUw8S8vm8wSt12OyuNC/ [/url]
192.168.0.104's samba log.nmbd [url] https://paste.pound-python.org/show/CPKX1cSkYfRwNG725GD1/ [/url]

Any ideas?

I recently made some changes to the XP computer to be able to write to a networked printer (HP ENVY 4520) and then these events came up.

BTW, it was much easier to setup the printer on Gentoo with hplip than it was to to set up Windows!
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetBT is NETBIOS over Tcp/IP, not useful in a home LAN that may rely solely upon SMB. Have you tried disabling NetBT in XP? (I don't remember how it's done however, my hands have not touched a Windows machine for a long time.)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was one by semi-default. There were three radio buttons:
1. (default) Use Netbios settings from the DHCP server. If static ipaddress is used or ... enable Netbios over TCP.
2. Enable NetBios over TCP
3. Disable NetBios over TCP

The default was checked and I switched it to #3 as you suggest.

Interestingly, yesterday I emerged Virtualbox on the first floor Gentoo computer and installed XP in it. The XP in the virtualbox has no problems and boots a lot quicker than the standalone XP. That computer does have a 10,000 RPM hard drive.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! After a reboot, Windows doesn't see any network computers.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Oops! After a reboot, Windows doesn't see any network computers.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it cannot reach them and connect to shares. NetBT is only there for browsing. In a small environment you know what you have, right :wink: ?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but machine X3 sees no one and no one sees it.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: check your smb.conf Reply with quote

Windows based clients can be twitchy about wanting to stay in their own workgroup or domain. Check your smb.conf to see whether it is set to use the same workgroup or domain as the the windows pc. If the windows client is the "home" version, it may actually be easier than trying to get a pro or enterprise version to browse other clients.

If you can't browse the linux box, make sure you have nmbd running in your samba suite.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: check your smb.conf Reply with quote

vaxbrat wrote:
Windows based clients can be twitchy about wanting to stay in their own workgroup or domain. Check your smb.conf to see whether it is set to use the same workgroup or domain as the the windows pc. If the windows client is the "home" version, it may actually be easier than trying to get a pro or enterprise version to browse other clients.

If you can't browse the linux box, make sure you have nmbd running in your samba suite.

In frustration, I copied the smb.conf from the working computer and just changed the netbios name. Didn't help.

Right now I'm recompiling samba without ABI=32. The only difference I see between the working and non-working computers is that the working computer is a pure 64-bit profile and the non-working computer is multilib.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: