Ruby 3.0 with Yukihiro "Matz" Matsumoto

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bombard Body Language

Just look at the list and find a person you are interested in. She breaks down the body language that we all would have seen and explains why body language is interpreted the way that it is.

She has Harvey Weinstein, an MK Ultra victim, Anton Levey, several with Comey, some Trump, Clinton and lots of others. Levey was particularly interesting. Marilyn Manson was good, too.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly YouTube video but a good one nonetheless. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41928752

Quote:
Instead of sending pictures of her car, Alyssa sent the insurers side and front photos of herself.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

o'bogamol wrote:
Bombard Body Language

Just look at the list and find a person you are interested in. She breaks down the body language that we all would have seen and explains why body language is interpreted the way that it is.

She has Harvey Weinstein, an MK Ultra victim, Anton Levey, several with Comey, some Trump, Clinton and lots of others. Levey was particularly interesting. Marilyn Manson was good, too.
Nice find. I've only watched a handful so far.

Clinton (only the most recent video): gratifying.
Sheriff Lombardo: compelling.
Baldwin: interesting.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Not exactly YouTube video but a good one nonetheless. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41928752

Quote:
Instead of sending pictures of her car, Alyssa sent the insurers side and front photos of herself.
I wonder what would have happened had the car been a convertible.
Quote:
The 25-year-old teacher
So, I had to check.
elsewhere wrote:
The 25-year-old, who teaches special needs
Certainly a noble path.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube private-locked Existential Corrections over 'tag issues', so here's it on vid.me: https://vid.me/JXAXH
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't sure what js had to be allowed to get vid me to work, so found it on bitchute:

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Qv-4Pxe8Dz8/
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYFikTIAT-s

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Store person seemed nice. I'd shop there if it didn't require that I be in WA.

That lead to a case of full blown deranged hysteria.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Wow. Store person seemed nice. I'd shop there if it didn't require that I be in WA.

That lead to a case of full blown deranged hysteria.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's what "progressive" politics does to people, turns them into complete mental children.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually concerned for her well-being, but not from the "monsters." And evne more concerned (and saddened) for her kid. It doesn't have much of a chance growing up in that kind of environment.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I was actually concerned for her well-being, but not from the "monsters." And evne more concerned (and saddened) for her kid. It doesn't have much of a chance growing up in that kind of environment.

She doesn't seem capable of raising kids, she's an emotional child herself.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compelled speech and the implications of submitting to reeducation (~12:15 to ~13:45).
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:
notageek wrote:
cokey wrote:
Jimmy Carr, Judah Friedlander, Chris Hardwick, Eddie Izzard, Tim Minchin & Paul Provenza talk comedy

Meh
you haven't watched it

It's brilliantly clever and entertaining
Early on Izzard said something chuckle worthy, but I forget what it was. The only real joke was Carr's, that was pretty funny. But the funniest part was Izzard talking about fighting fascism. LOL

Otherwise not worth the time.
I enjoyed it when they were talking about the anatomy and philosophy of jokes - all the while making them
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Not if I don't read it. Retard.
you're replying to the contents, that means you've read them, 'retard'
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Chapman's Eulogy

Hilarious
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/2t4ojjzJJZ4

Watch this, seriously.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand their url shortener. It saves roughly 10 characters or so and is still too long compared with other shorteners.
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that exponentials (and logarithms) of matrices are a actual thing?

You're probably familiar with regular powers (the ones that go 2^4 == 2*2*2*2 == 16). You've probably also seen rational and real powers (perhaps not remembering much, but that's ok). And, perhaps, you've heard that there are also complex powers (what does it even MEAN to raise something to the 'i' == sqrt(-1) power, anyway?!)

But raising a number to a MATRIX power? Indeed!

(part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6WoU05ZR0
(part 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-Upx5dfmQ

The pacing is a bit uneven, and it isn't particularly rigorous, but I thought at least some of you might enjoy it.

And while musing exponentially, I can't help but also link what's probably the best powers-and-logarithms video I've ever seen. Go ahead and view it. Even if you don't know math. It's that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-7tcTIrers
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
Did you know that exponentials (and logarithms) of matrices are a actual thing?
Nope. And Still don't :D If I ever won the lottery, I think I'd go back and take math classes.

Akkara wrote:
Made sense up until "Define e^0 = 1". After that, it was mostly random noise.

Akkara wrote:
And while musing exponentially, I can't help but also link what's probably the best powers-and-logarithms video I've ever seen. Go ahead and view it. Even if you don't know math. It's that good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-7tcTIrers
I'll have to go back to this one. The poetic delivery nearly triggered a PTSD reaction.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a bit...

If ib = cos(b)+i sin(b) makes i irrational, because i is in it's self a part of the equation?
Besides of that the equations looks really gay (lambda).

This one was terribly awesome:
sin(doh) = doh^3/3 +doh^5/5 -doh^7/7

I have searched a lot for finding it.
EDIT: Forget about it..A is not an angle...just sums up my week. Craptacular.
EDIT2: About numbers to n+1 ( I understood some of it ):
vsauce - How to count past infinity
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
Hah! The land of math believe.

On the video itself, it never ceases to amaze me when people generate background noise which makes it difficult to hear the primary information being conveyed.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
Hah! The land of math believe.

On the video itself, it never ceases to amaze me when people generate background noise which makes it difficult to hear the primary information being conveyed.

That I so sincerely agree with. Hate it as well. Feelings...again. Like trying to convince people through emotions while pointing out something. Still, I find his uh, 'lectures' solid.
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Akkara wrote:
Made sense up until "Define e^0 = 1". After that, it was mostly random noise.

It is unfortunate this and the next part were kind-of glossed over. They are key to making the final leap. E^0 is defined to be 1 because of many good reasons. Similarly, the infinite-sum thing is what it is for other good reasons. It's not blindly "picked" that way, and gee, it works.

The way these "extended-math" things usually go, it starts with a clear pattern that's established in easy-to-understand (and prove) arithmetic, usually the integers. In the case of exponentials, it is the "pattern" that integer a^b is equal to a multiplied by itself b times.

Experiments ("playing around with it") and observation leads to more patterns. One such pattern is that powers of 4 go {4, 16, 64, 256, ...} which happens to be every 2nd number in the list of powers of 2, {2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, ...}. That suggests the idea of a "half" power being "halfway" down the list, and with a double-time list available, a reasonable meaning can be attached to "halfway down the list". Follow that idea to its conclusion and you get the rational powers. (This is what the 3rd video is about, explained much better than I could ever put it.)

Real-number powers are harder. There's several approaches besides the ones shown in the video. One can use rational powers and find what number it approaches, as the rational approximation gets closer and closer to the real number you're "powering". One can even do it using nothing more than integer powers, via (1 + a/n)^n == exp(a) as integer n increases without bound. Or one can use the summation-series shown in the video. (It is also interesting where that series comes from, which alas wasn't shown either.)

The important part is that all these approaches all come up with the same answer. There's a consistency to it all that's been mathematically proven, and to have all the properties commonly associated with exponentials. That is why the definitions are what they are. That's the part I wish was made more clear.

The extension to complex is similar to the reals. That same "(1 + a/n)^n" works. Just set a == sqrt(-1) == i. It isn't even very hard to do. Pick n to be a power of 2, and raising to even large powers can be done with relatively few repeated squaring operations. Here's n = 1024 done with 10 squarings. It evaluates exp(i) to within ~0.5% of the true number
python:
n = 1024 # must be a power of 2
p = complex(1.0, 1.0 / n)
while n > 1 :
    p *= p
    n /= 2

print p
Do this for bigger and bigger 'n' and you get a better and better approximations. Try the same for exp(2*i) and find out that it is indeed the square of exp(i). Try other numbers and find out that exp(i*n) goes "around and around" the unit circle - it is periodic! Who would have thunk! Get the sense that there's probably a sin and cos in there somewhere. Eventually re-derive Euler's formula, which states that exp(i*x) == cos(x) + i*sin(x). Knowing that, and using the exponential-summation formula, exp(a+b) == exp(a)*exp(b), you find out that exp(a + b*i) == exp(a)*(cos(b) + i*sin(b)). And that finishes the extension to complex.

And the extension to matrix powers continues with a similar theme. There's some modification necessary: every time a '1' appears in an addition it needs to be changed to the identity matrix (of the same dimensions as your 'x'). And multiplications become matrix multiplications.

But this time, some of the "usual" properties of the exponential does *not* carry forward. In particular, exp(a+b) == exp(a) * exp(b). It cannot hold when a and b are matrices, for the simple fact that addition is commutative but matrix multiplication is not. However, if a and b are restricted to matrices where a*b == b*a, then the sum-of-exponential property does work, for those matrices.

OMG, TLDR! How did that happen? I was mostly hoping these videos would inspire a sense of curiosity and wonder about this stuff. All too often math is approached as this difficult subject to be avoided if possible and to be worked through drudgingly when unavoidable, dry and devoid of "fun". It seems to me nothing short of a miracle that it all works out like it does, that it all hangs together, and that all these different approaches all lead to the same place. Like there is a universal, fundamental truth to it all. The satisfaction that, for once, you can actually *know* something.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: