Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo's forum search functions suck hard SOLVED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
duby2291
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Gentoo's forum search functions suck hard SOLVED Reply with quote

I made a thread here a while ago, where I was having a problem with an rtl8812au chipset wifi adapter and now I can't find that thread. My post history doesn't go back that far, and gentoo's search isn't finding.

Actually the problem I was using the wrong driver,. Eventually with the help of other gentoo users we found the correct driver. Now I need to find that post so I can the correct driver again, but this forum sucks too hard. Is there a better way to search gentoo's forum?

Or how about you guys actually upgrade the forum software for once. I mean really, this thing sucks ass hard. It's like a thousand psi vacuum up your butthole, honestly.You guys here -REALLY- need to do something about it.


Last edited by duby2291 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 16861
Location: here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't underestimate the force of google, "rtl8812au duby2291 site:forums.gentoo.org" search return
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1058140-start-0.html
it's correct thread?
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 39261
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291,

Google. Append site:forums.gentoo.org to only get results from the forums.

If you really want to see all of your posts. Go to your profile and click the Find all posts by duby2291 link.
That works until your post count gets to 6666.

The link is in the public part of your profile, so you can try mine if you like.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16750

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum search isn't often quite as bad as people think, but yes, it can be bad.

Search for Keywords: rtl8812au driver
Search for Author: duby2291

This thread perhaps?
Realtek rtl8192 wifi adapter problems

Honestly I often have better results here than with Google. *shrug*
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duby2291
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Don't underestimate the force of google, "rtl8812au duby2291 site:forums.gentoo.org" search return
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1058140-start-0.html
it's correct thread?


YES! Thank you. I'll definitely remember how to search web sites with google. That's highly useful info. Thank you guys so much.

(But I still think you guys need to update forum software extremely badly) :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 16861
Location: here

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291 wrote:
(But I still think you guys need to update forum software extremely badly) :D

Seems that search forum not find keywords in url (indeed rtl8812au keyword is in a url), probably if the word was in text you could find it (with advanced search you can also search only your posts).
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 217

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
That works until your post count gets to 6666.
Sir, this scares me. It is not wise to make mockery of evil. Could the number perhaps be changed to 7777, or an even 5000?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 9571
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you're not kidding, the "number of the beast" from Revelations is not 6666.

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 499 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 217

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Just in case you're not kidding, the "number of the beast" from Revelations is not ----.
The number of repetitions is not as important as much as the single digit itself. Seven is a holy number, seventy seven moreso, and likewise with seven hundred and seventy seven. Less than the Lord is unholy and a representation of evil.

What also worries me is that many developers in #gentoo-mentors are Dark Lords of the Sith order. I do not see why one would willfully associate themselves with evil. It might be possible for people to become confused.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duby2291
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:
Just in case you're not kidding, the "number of the beast" from Revelations is not ----.
The number of repetitions is not as important as much as the single digit itself. Seven is a holy number, seventy seven moreso, and likewise with seven hundred and seventy seven. Less than the Lord is unholy and a representation of evil.

What also worries me is that many developers in #gentoo-mentors are Dark Lords of the Sith order. I do not see why one would willfully associate themselves with evil. It might be possible for people to become confused.


Really? I do understand that back in the day before written forms of language symbolism was really important for passing on knowledge between generations.... But guess what? We all have our own forms of written languages now and that stuff is just the same as "old wives tales". I am a semi-religious person, but that stuff is just ancient symbolism for illiterate populouses.

For example, There are serious scientific theories that state the universe is a projected simulation. Which scientifically means there must have been a creator. Not a mystical spirit, but a actual conciousness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16750

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
duby2291 wrote:
(But I still think you guys need to update forum software extremely badly) :D

Seems that search forum not find keywords in url (indeed rtl8812au keyword is in a url), probably if the word was in text you could find it (with advanced search you can also search only your posts).
Works just fine for me. Searching for only rtl8812au and the author, that thread is the 15th result (of 19).
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 01 Jul 2004
Posts: 6339
Location: almost Mile High in the USA

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numerology believers here? oh no... Only 598 posts to go after I post this (post #6068) until my fgo account explodes, I guess.

Well, I have run into the strange "search X get Y" issue with the quick search, unsure what exactly triggers it. Sometimes I get completely off base results through search. Not sure if this has been fixed yet. There must be some symbols perhaps that get silently deleted before the search takes place or perhaps there's some session leakage going on. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact recipe.
_________________
Intel Core i7 2700K@ 4.1GHz/HD3000 graphics/8GB DDR3/180GB SSD
What am I supposed watching?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 39261
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r,

Emperical evidence suggests that you will be OK until you get to 38654 posts :)
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 08 Mar 2005
Posts: 9571
Location: Somewhere over Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
John R. Graham wrote:
Just in case you're not kidding, the "number of the beast" from Revelations is not ----.
The number of repetitions is not as important as much as the single digit itself. Seven is a holy number, seventy seven moreso, and likewise with seven hundred and seventy seven. Less than the Lord is unholy and a representation of evil.
My suggestion to you, then, is to always work in a radix that excludes that symbol. Binary should be just fine. :wink:

- John
_________________
I can confirm that I have received between 0 and 499 National Security Letters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16750

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291 wrote:
We all have our own forms of written languages now and that stuff is just the same as "old wives tales". I am a semi-religious person, but that stuff is just ancient symbolism for illiterate populouses.
Maybe it was misdirection that has people afraid of and looking for the wrong number when they should be afraid of 616. Or it was just a bunch of young Jews writing graffiti in protest of their treatment by the Emperor.
_________________
Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present, Man Not Caring. -- Perry Cox
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duby2291
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
duby2291 wrote:
We all have our own forms of written languages now and that stuff is just the same as "old wives tales". I am a semi-religious person, but that stuff is just ancient symbolism for illiterate populouses.
Maybe it was misdirection that has people afraid of and looking for the wrong number when they should be afraid of 616. Or it was just a bunch of young Jews writing graffiti in protest of their treatment by the Emperor.


Nah :D If they were young jews they wouldn't have been able to write, it was only taught to priests and scribes. And it was them who used symbolism to control the illiterate masses. (It's why jesus taught his disciples to create churches. Unfortunately. But fortunately we now live in a world were people can read and write don't need to rely on those manipulations) (666 is just another form of manipulation on the illiterate people of the world, just like teaching the world that a man could die and come back to life three days later.) (It's just my opinion)

(I think the whole concept of 666 was invented by a man named John of Patmos, if I'm remembering right. He was basically calling out the roman emperor and needed to control a lot of people to get support. It worked, Constantine overthrowed the government and instituted John of Patmos'es ideology. It doesn't have anything to do with our modern age at all. It's just a shame his manipulations are still working even 1800 years later)

(Interesting fact: The only thing that has killed more people than Christianity is malaria.... Seriously 100% the truth. It's because of manipulations like 666 teaching people to fear and hate. The genocides and population cullings of the last two centuries don't even come close.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 08 Mar 2003
Posts: 16861
Location: here

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
fedeliallalinea wrote:
Seems that search forum not find keywords in url (indeed rtl8812au keyword is in a url), probably if the word was in text you could find it (with advanced search you can also search only your posts).
Works just fine for me. Searching for only rtl8812au and the author, that thread is the 15th result (of 19).

You right, sorry but yesterday I don't see the post
_________________
Questions are guaranteed in life; Answers aren't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Goverp
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 511

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duby2291 wrote:

...
For example, There are serious scientific theories that state the universe is a projected simulation. Which scientifically means there must have been a creator. Not a mystical spirit, but a actual conciousness.

You know of course that John Horton Conway's Game of Life is proven to be a Turing machine, and has been programmed (in a mind-bogglingly complex way) to play Tetris. So perhaps we are living in an even more boggling Game of Life, in which case the creator would be JHC. :-)
_________________
Greybeard
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 39261
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp,

That takes me back. I recall reading the Scientific American article (1970) while I was at school.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duby2291
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
duby2291 wrote:

...
For example, There are serious scientific theories that state the universe is a projected simulation. Which scientifically means there must have been a creator. Not a mystical spirit, but a actual conciousness.

You know of course that John Horton Conway's Game of Life is proven to be a Turing machine, and has been programmed (in a mind-bogglingly complex way) to play Tetris. So perhaps we are living in an even more boggling Game of Life, in which case the creator would be JHC. :-)


That makes sense in weird sort of way. And wave/particle duality sort of proves it. If you observe the energy it's a particle, and if you don't observe it it's a wave. Which means that the nature of energy is directly related to a consciousness observing it. Weird. (It's sort of similar to how the new quantum computers work so at minimum you could state that the universe itself is a type of quantum "brain" (that has it's own consciousness) that is projecting and simulating -itself-.) (Also weird, it completely describes how and why anti-matter is observed in particle accelerators, which means there is actually a real scientifically possible way to slow down or speed up the arrow of time. And without needing relativistic speeds at our macro scale to achieve it.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lexflex
Guru
Guru


Joined: 05 Mar 2006
Posts: 326
Location: the Netherlands

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion :-)

duby2291 wrote:

For example, There are serious scientific theories that state the universe is a projected simulation. Which scientifically means there must have been a creator. Not a mystical spirit, but a actual consciousness.


I am a bit in doubt about the serious scientific theories you mention here. There are some requirements before a 'theory' can be called scientific ( in the sense of being accepted by some scientific method , like falsifiability, being able to to a prediction, etc )
I understand that also those requirements can be (and are) under discussion, but still....

My opinion is there are many theories out there (on the internet), many of which are not scientific at all.


Alex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duby2291
Guru
Guru


Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Posts: 578

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexflex wrote:
Interesting discussion :-)

duby2291 wrote:

For example, There are serious scientific theories that state the universe is a projected simulation. Which scientifically means there must have been a creator. Not a mystical spirit, but a actual consciousness.


I am a bit in doubt about the serious scientific theories you mention here. There are some requirements before a 'theory' can be called scientific ( in the sense of being accepted by some scientific method , like falsifiability, being able to to a prediction, etc )
I understand that also those requirements can be (and are) under discussion, but still....

My opinion is there are many theories out there (on the internet), many of which are not scientific at all.


Alex.


Maybe mathematical theory would have been a better term? Although I'm sure Pythagoras and Euclid would have called them "proofs". In the sense that all functional mathematics appear to be true somewhere in the universe. If it's calculable it happens. Of course that itself is a theory.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum