View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tabanus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A heads up for anyone thinking of making the same mistake I did.

I built a Ryzen 5 2400G system last week. Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard, 2x8GB RAM (G.Skill).

It's basically a door stop just now. A catalogue of woe...

Had to update the MB BIOS to get the CPU supported. No biggie. But...

Raven drivers are a joke. Completely unusable. A quarter of the screen is completely blank. Kernel 4.16 is not going to fix anything, unless they do something amazing after rc2.

Installed an nVidia PCI-E card (also Asus) to get things moving until AMD get the drivers working. While this initially worked, it somehow disabled the onboard LAN (an intel chipset). During troubleshooting for this, it started throwing up all sorts of IOMMU errors, and became unbootable (kernel panic). This happened both in Gentoo and using System Rescue CD bootable USB.

I guess I might have been unlucky and bought a faulty nVidia card, but I've returned that, and plan to replace it with a cheap Radeon card. At least the driver for that is nice and mature.

Even if kernel 4.17 fixes this (and I would be surprised if it did), that's about 6-8 weeks away for rc1, 16 weeks to release.

Wishing I'd just gone for an intel solution now.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
Had to update the MB BIOS to get the CPU supported.
I'm glad that I built my AM4 update with a Bristol Ridge non-APU. I shook down the cheap Radeon video card when I still had an old Athlon II with built-in graphics. I've been waiting for Ryzen+ because of the Ryzen bug, but now I'm not so sure. The Bristol Ridge is nearly twice as fast (passmark rating) as the Athlon II. Maybe that's fast enough. Whatever happened to AMD quality control?

EDIT: If I do switch to zen, that $50 Bristol Ridge will come in handy for BIOS updates. My mobo came four updates behind (original BIOS about nine months old). Best $50 I've spent in a long time.
morbid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I saw this massive thread before... I wasted a ton of time doing my own research to get my new 2400G HTPC (Kodi) box going.

For the display quadrant artifact issue... that was finally fixed in 4.16_rc5. Based on some of what I read, the fixes were originally slated for 4.17... which concerned me, but they just got merged in to 4.16!

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1078328.html
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:
I built a Ryzen 5 2400G system last week. Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard, 2x8GB RAM (G.Skill).

It's basically a door stop just now. A catalogue of woe...

I bought this card for a cheap video https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-R523D3-1GL-rev-11#ov
It's better than having your new system as a doorstop. Works fine with the inkernel radeon driver.

Mostly seems out of stock, but available new on e-bay. For the price of a restaurant meal for two you'll have something to use until 4.17 comes out.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indulging my masochistic side, I have ordered a 2700x, asus prime x370 pro, and 16 GB of DDR4. Im good on the other bits and have been reemerging my system and world as vanilla amd64, and compiling a kernel that hopefully boots. My 4790k has been great, but the lure of 16 threads is just too great.

EDIT: Been doing a ton of prereading, including this thread. Since I am unsure about the shipping bios on my new mainboard, I also have a $50 A6 am4 cpu in the order. Eager to get working on my new rig and assess my compiling gains.

Just booted my old install, previously recompiled as generic amd64, on the Ryzen hardware using an amd64 4.17.2 kernel with only -O2 and -pipe as cflags. CPU type in the .config is znver1. Changed make.conf CFLAGS to "-march-znver1" and am compiling GCC 7.3 in another VT to see how hard my 16 penguins are willing to work for me. So far so good.

Hardware swap was easy, using a newly purchased A6 dual-core to flash a newer bios before installing the Ryzen. Apparently the ram I purchased is not the best for Ryzen and though rated at 2666, I have to run it at 2400. No big deal and I can always pick up a better kit later.

For starters ran through GCC and the rest of the toolchain again. No problems whatsoever, while browsing and doing other things in XFCE. Very responsive and smooth. 25 minutes for GCC 7.3, binutils and glibc. Is that good?

UPDATE: working my way through emerge -e @world with new CFLAGS. Was so used to old 8 thread system, and my 32GB of DDR3. I neglected to reinstall my old swap drive. Started having segfaults due to 16 threads exhausing my (now) 16 GB of RAM, and because I had the size of my /var/tmp/portage mount point too large. Resized the fstab entry and reinstalled the drive and have been compiling w/o a hitch. About 300 packages so far. It's quite warm here but my old NH-D15 is working beautifully as temperatures haven't gone above 61C. The Ryzen's boost is functioning well, as 'cpupower monitor && sensors' shows all thread running mostly at around 4GHz. The newer CPU, latest bios and gentoo-sources-4.17.2 seem to be a winning combination for my kit.

I would say that as long as one does a bit of reasearch upfront, purchases a decent motherboard, PSU and RAM, that the Ryzen 2 and latest kernels function quite well and there is no longer any cause for worry.

I could get used to this:

>>> Installing (1 of 1) www-client/chromium-67.0.3396.87::gentoo
* >>> SetUID: [chmod go-r] /usr/lib64/chromium-browser/chrome-sandbox ... [ ok ]
* Updating icons cache ... [ ok ]
* Updating .desktop files database ... [ ok ]
* Updating icons cache ... [ ok ]
* Updating .desktop files database ... [ ok ]
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

real 46m40.995s
user 618m47.909s
sys 22m28.679s
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Samsung m.2 NVME pcie-3.0
Etc....

Last edited by bammbamm808 on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total
MrZammler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

This thread seems kinda quiet for a few months :-)

Am I right to assume that e.g. the 2600 Zen+ is now okay under linux? I'm thinking to do a new build and replace my really againg Core2Duo machine. I'm looking at a Ryzen 5 2600, a B450 motherboard, 16GB of ram, and an NVMe drive. Can I assume being safe from any weird bugs? Or should I steer to Intel?

Thanks.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrZammler wrote:
Hi!

This thread seems kinda quiet for a few months :-)

Am I right to assume that e.g. the 2600 Zen+ is now okay under linux? I'm thinking to do a new build and replace my really againg Core2Duo machine. I'm looking at a Ryzen 5 2600, a B450 motherboard, 16GB of ram, and an NVMe drive. Can I assume being safe from any weird bugs? Or should I steer to Intel?

Thanks.

EDIT: My asus motherboard crapped the bed and I replaced with the one now in my signature.

Absolutely fine, with a bit of setup. Get a motherboard with good power circuitry. Get a good quality power supply. Get good ram specced a bit above what you want. If you are running 4 DIMMS or dual-ranked DIMMS (16GB sticks), you will not be able to run your ram at as high a speed. You will probably have to make a handful of adjustments in your UEFI firmware settings to voltage, ram timings and other things. I and others have been throught this process and have absolutely rock-solid systems and I can emerge most packages at -j16 (I have a 2700x) with no instability and retain excellent responsiveness for browsing and other tasks while it is going on.

I would encourage you to go ahead and if you have problems post back here for guidance. I absolutely love this system. But, it took a bit of fiddling.

One caveat that cannot be completely be overcome is that hardware monitoring is quite lacking. There is semi-functioning it87 module floating around but it only reports some values correctly. I can get important temperatures and voltages, but I set my fan controls either statically or in the uefi firmware anyway. If this is a deal-breaker for you, reconsider.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bammbamm808 wrote:
One caveat that cannot be completely be overcome is that hardware monitoring is quite lacking. There is semi-functioning it87 module floating around but it only reports some values correctly. I can get important temperatures and voltages, but I set my fan controls either statically or in the uefi firmware anyway. If this is a deal-breaker for you, reconsider.

That module works fine in my case, problem is that it needs 'ignore_resource_conflict=true' , I don't like using it that way so I don't use it.
Had a chat recently with the author of that out-of-tree driver, seems like the problem is in BIOS and it takes finding a way to decode it to solve that resource conflict.
MrZammler
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bammbamm808 wrote:

EDIT: My asus motherboard crapped the bed and I replaced with the one now in my signature.

Absolutely fine, with a bit of setup. Get a motherboard with good power circuitry. Get a good quality power supply. Get good ram specced a bit above what you want. If you are running 4 DIMMS or dual-ranked DIMMS (16GB sticks), you will not be able to run your ram at as high a speed. You will probably have to make a handful of adjustments in your UEFI firmware settings to voltage, ram timings and other things. I and others have been throught this process and have absolutely rock-solid systems and I can emerge most packages at -j16 (I have a 2700x) with no instability and retain excellent responsiveness for browsing and other tasks while it is going on.

I would encourage you to go ahead and if you have problems post back here for guidance. I absolutely love this system. But, it took a bit of fiddling.

Well, since we use Gentoo, I guess we're no strangers to fiddling with our systems. I'm very fine with that. :-)

As for the motherboard, any recomendations ?

Thanks a lot!
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kajzer wrote:
bammbamm808 wrote:

That module works fine in my case, problem is that it needs 'ignore_resource_conflict=true' , I don't like using it that way so I don't use it.
Had a chat recently with the author of that out-of-tree driver, seems like the problem is in BIOS and it takes finding a way to decode it to solve that resource conflict.

My new mitherboard seems to use the nct6779 so I will now have to see about gettinv that working. I seem to recall that one was also out-of-tree.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrZammler wrote:
bammbamm808 wrote:

Well, since we use Gentoo, I guess we're no strangers to fiddling with our systems. I'm very fine with that. :-)

As for the motherboard, any recomendations ?

Thanks a lot!

Just my personal biases: I avoid MSI lime the plague. I lean toward Asus or Asrock x470 stuff with more robust power regulation. My x470 Taichi is great but the firmware interface is a bit buggy. Nothing you cant work around but its a bit convoluted at times. Asus seems to have the most user friendly, full-featured firmware implementation. Then again my Prime x370-Pro just died after 6 months. I hear Gigabyte boared are well bhilt mostly but the firmware can be a bit sparse.on features. I would biuy a bit of a higher end chipset and pick something with good VRMs. I seem to end up spending between $130 and $200 USD. The x470 Taichi was just on sale at newegg for $160. The Asus Prime x470-Pro csn be had for about the same. Buy RAM on the QVL for your board. And if you can get 32GB, you can set -j higher and emerge in /var/tmp/portage.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
berferd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my ASUS ROG Strix B450-F gaming, but have not run Gentoo on it. Read up on the chipsets before you decide you need the most expensive one:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13091/analyzing-b450-for-amd-ryzen-a-quick-look-at-all-the-motherboards

The feature that attracted me to this board was the Intel NIC. I hate the new-fangled GUI BIOS utilities. I'll keep pining away for mainstream support for Coreboot.
Gooberpatrol66
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an ETA for a fix for the Raven Ridge freezing bug? My computer is virtually unusable. I have tried every workaround on the internet to no effect.
FastTurtle
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: AGESA Updates Reply with quote

Anyone with an APU that's had a black screen, the issue is the AGESA and the simple work around is to plug in a budget GPU. Just about anything will work as you don't need the fastest. Just a dedicated card. Once you've got working graphics again, that's when you install the latest Radeon Drivers - not the chipset as the AGESA is buried in them instead of the chipset where is should. But then the only ones having that issue are using an APU (onboard graphics) so you need the Radeon Drivers.

I actually wasn't aware of this little issue until I updated the firmware on my B450M Pro4 board. They had all sorts of warnings about a possible mismatch between the AGESA and what ever firmware I updated to and to update the Radeon Drivers First then the firmware update. In regards to those indicating that they had to update the firmware before using a 2xxx Zen, I'm inclined to believe the board was defective as AMD indicates all AM4 sockets should handle any generation of Ryzen. Most likely it was a Ram Issue that caused the fault - I've found that "Always Checking the QVL" in regards to Ram and Bios Versions is a Must Do step. It saves lots of issues and anyone who tells you you need the fastest Ram possible is full of lint. I'm using 64GB of 2400 ram with a zen5 1600 and system performance is better then 80 percent of the submitted results. More Ram Beats Faster Speeds.
LSI 9211-8i in HBA mode for all of the SaS drives
Radeon 6800 (Non XT) for GPU
Terry_Davis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would love to see some benchmarks of fully optimized Gentoo on Threadripper / EPYC vs other distros... I'm curious of the potential performance improvements. Especially interested in latency reduction: does Gentoo have any optimizations that zenkernel doesn't?
Amity88
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabanus wrote:

Installed an nVidia PCI-E card (also Asus) to get things moving until AMD get the drivers working. While this initially worked, it somehow disabled the onboard LAN (an intel chipset). During troubleshooting for this, it started throwing up all sorts of IOMMU errors, and became unbootable (kernel panic). This happened both in Gentoo and using System Rescue CD bootable USB.

If it helps, the 1050Ti works completely fine with Gentoo. I had a much better time with this GPU rather than my old AMD R7 240.

Quote:
Wishing I'd just gone for an intel solution now.

Intel GPUs aren't that perfect either. The BSDs don't play well with my Braswell NUC GPU (Intel).

Tony0945 wrote:

I'm glad that I built my AM4 update with a Bristol Ridge non-APU. I shook down the cheap Radeon video card when I still had an old Athlon II with built-in graphics. I've been waiting for Ryzen+ because of the Ryzen bug, but now I'm not so sure. The Bristol Ridge is nearly twice as fast (passmark rating) as the Athlon II. Maybe that's fast enough.

I recently upgraded my Celeron build to an AM4 Bristol Ridge APU. Currently testing it out with Fedora, the amdgpu driver seems to work fine. The kernel on in here is 5.3.16

The stock cooler seems pretty good, not too noisy, cools it down well below Tjmax during torture tests. It's also great that AMD keeps their sockets around a lot longer. This is actually my very first AMD build.

Quote:
Whatever happened to AMD quality control?

What about it? did you get any defective parts?

Also... Be ignorant... Be happy! :)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whatever happened to AMD quality control?

What about it? did you get any defective parts?[/quote]
No I, but many did. The whole first month or so of production was junk, but AMD made people jump through hoops to get fixed chips.
About a year later as the 3000 series was coming out, I bought a Ryzen 2700X. The only problem was squeezing the giant cooler into place. Gentoo booted and ran fine (I had modified my CFLAGS to not use bulldozer instructions not available on Ryzen).
I rebuilt the kernel, booted it then changed to -j8 and removed the restrictions on CFLAGS and rebuilt "e" world.
Blazing fast. That huge cooler worked great.
nick_gentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
I rebuilt the kernel, booted it then changed to -j8 and removed the restrictions on CFLAGS and rebuilt "e" world.

Can you even change that to -j16, for a Ryzen 2700X? As it runs 2 threads per core.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick_gentoo wrote:
Can you even change that to -j16, for a Ryzen 2700X? As it runs 2 threads per core.

Earlier experiments on single core processors showed no improvement going from N to 2N+1, but they were single core and this board has more memory than ant other computer that I ever had.

I'll try that on palemoon which takes about 15 minutes to build, and report back.

EDIT3:
-j8:
Code:
real    18m4.786s
user    107m53.599s
sys     4m19.759s
 genlop -t palemoon: ....  Sun Dec 22 09:22:43 2019 >>> www-client/palemoon-28.8.0-r4
       merge time: 17 minutes and 56 seconds.

-j16:
Code:
real    14m49.736s
user    152m31.621s
sys     5m38.550s
 genlop -t palemoon: ...   Sun Dec 22 08:47:02 2019 >>> www-client/palemoon-28.8.0-r4
       merge time: 14 minutes and 43 seconds

-j17:
Code:
real    14m46.126s
user    152m54.226s
sys     5m27.027s
 genlop -t palemoon: ...   Sun Dec 22 09:44:03 2019 >>> www-client/palemoon-28.8.0-r4
       merge time: 14 minutes and 40 seconds.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if rcu_nocbs in kernel parameters is still needed for ryzens in 5.x kernels?
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
I wonder if rcu_nocbs in kernel parameters is still needed for ryzens in 5.x kernels?

I know I tried it at some point (I have it commented out in my 'lilo.conf' still), but it must have been a couple of years ago by now (dang... time... stop moving so fast).

That is to say, at least for me, it's not needed (Ryzen 7 1700).
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:

That is to say, at least for me, it's not needed (Ryzen 7 1700).

Ok, thx, I have 1700X, I'll comment it out, if something goes wrong I post here.
bammbamm808
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick_gentoo wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:

Can confirm. Using -j16 with my 32GB. Works fine.

In addition. i just installed the out of tree zenpower module and it gives me everything I want as far as monitoring. For me, it replaces both k10temp and nct6775 modules. I get Tctl and Tdie temps, which may need a bit of tweaking, CPU and SOC voltage, wattage and ampereage.
Geforce RTX 2070S 8GB
Etc....
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, j16 works fine and very slightly faster than j8. Running top in another terminal reveals that even with j16 the CPU is loafing 98% of the time. Something else is the bottleneck. I'm running on a SATA SSD.
bebyx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tested AMD Ryzen 3700U? The dedicated article is saying it works, but still, it's a new processor and I'm wondering if there are some Gentoo issues. It has some good reviews on the Internet, less expensive than similar Intel and I'm planning to buy a ThinkPad with the one.

I searched and I couldn't find any real life feedback except the mention in the Ryzen wiki article.

UPD: I've found the answer in another Ryzen topic.

Last edited by bebyx on Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: