Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
They have been telling a story, just not the one we thought we were watching. Kudos to the writers.

Yep, just caught the latest one and I agree, can see the female Klingon remaining on the mirror universe side as Voq is still present.

Leaving Burnham promoted to captain, via a few twists and turns - then again I can't see Lorca being written out.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd give this a try, made it to episode 10 and got bored. :?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing but a Soap Opera
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the consensus on the series as a whole ?

Pity Lorca went, a darker captain would have been interesting - the Enterprise turning up was a surprise, Spock is supposed to be on board too.

Still don't see how they're going to mesh this back in with accepted history.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lorca was great!

Personally I think they ruined it. They should have blown Kronos in half! chickened out
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we have seen the last of Lorca. I think he is the captain Discovery left to pick up. The whole Spock with a sister thing is going to be interesting as to how that is handled. I would love to see how these guys visualize a Constitution class bridge.

It just keeps getting better
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Spock with a sister
They did dismiss canon, right? I mean, they're not trying to tie it directly into the real timeline / universe? Interesting though that they went from him being an only child to having a sister.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Old School wrote:
Spock with a sister
They did dismiss canon, right? I mean, they're not trying to tie it directly into the real timeline / universe? Interesting though that they went from him being an only child to having a sister.
Adopted sister.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Interesting though that they went from him being an only child to having a sister.
Not to mention his half-brother, quite the crowd for a single child family.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
pjp wrote:
Interesting though that they went from him being an only child to having a sister.
Not to mention his half-brother, quite the crowd for a single child family.
I forgot about him, but they at least wedged that into canon, and it made reasonable sense (I forget if Spock even knew him as his brother?).

Burnham's wikipedia page says she was a foster child, not related. Even still, the premise is that it happened at least while Sarek was alive, if not Amanda. I'm skeptical any prior suggestions hinted at Sarek taking in any foster children.

But I also see they've already done the "mirror universe" thing, so maybe it just doesn't matter. I had higher hopes when they indicated the series wasn't gong to follow the move reboot. Still waiting for it to appear on Amazon, hopefully within ~6 months or so (probably not renewing Prime).
nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can say fuck and shit on the show but Burnham can do a shower scene without boobs? I liked Hollywood better when it was all Ferengi.

(it was clear from the very first episode that this show is not to be taken seriously)
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokilli wrote:
(it was clear from the very first episode that this show is not to be taken seriously)

I must be pretty dense, cuz I have taken it as seriously as any other Star Trek show. A lot more seriously than Star Trek V.

nokilli
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
nokilli wrote:

I must be pretty dense, cuz I have taken it as seriously as any other Star Trek show. A lot more seriously than Star Trek V.

I guess I have a sixth sense when it comes to war propaganda. We (Star Fleet) strike first because that's how the Vulcans do it? It's an obscenity; I'm sorry you missed that.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nokilli wrote:
Old School wrote:
nokilli wrote:

I guess I have a sixth sense when it comes to war propaganda. We (Star Fleet) strike first because that's how the Vulcans do it? It's an obscenity; I'm sorry you missed that.
:lol:

desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I forgot about him, but they at least wedged that into canon, and it made reasonable sense (I forget if Spock even knew him as his brother?).

Burnham's wikipedia page says she was a foster child, not related. Even still, the premise is that it happened at least while Sarek was alive, if not Amanda. I'm skeptical any prior suggestions hinted at Sarek taking in any foster children.

According to "memory alpha", they were raised as brothers, which aside from raising some questions of its own, feeds the vulcans do not talk about family until they really really need to narrative. Perhaps he had dozens of foster children and they were never discussed because they never happened to be plot relevant? Also, note that the wikipedia page does indeed list two foster brothers.
Quote:
In the brig, Kirk is cursing Spock for betraying the entire crew. Spock says it's worse than that – he's betrayed Kirk and does not expect the captain to forgive him. Kirk simply cannot believe it – why wouldn't Spock defend his ship and follow orders and just pull the trigger on the weapon he had on Sybok. Spock claims he could not because Kirk ordered him to kill his brother. Kirk is incredulous and claims Spock is lying because he knows for a fact that Spock does not have a brother. Spock agrees that Kirk is technically correct – he has a half-brother. Dr. McCoy tries to make sense of it all – that Spock and Sybok have the same father but different mothers. Spock says that Sybok's mother was a Vulcan princess and upon her death, Sybok and he were raised as brothers. Kirk can't believe Spock never mentioned any of this to them before and Spock apologizes for it.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
According to "memory alpha", they were raised as brothers, which aside from raising some questions of its own, feeds the vulcans do not talk about family until they really really need to narrative. Perhaps he had dozens of foster children and they were never discussed because they never happened to be plot relevant? Also, note that the wikipedia page does indeed list two foster brothers.
The discussion sounds vaguely familiar, and as I mentioned, they did fit it in reasonably. And yes, it is possible the family had other unmentioned family.

In "wikipedia page," I'm guessing you're referring to Burnham's? The two foster brothers are Spock and Sybok, so that doesn't really add anything. But I hadn't noticed that. And it does mention Spock's mother as being Burnham's, so at least that part is now clear to me.

And I just noticed another unfortunate piece. The series prequel novel:
Quote:
She also works with her foster brother Spock as he and Captain Christopher Pike of the USS Enterprise visit the Shenzhou.
It just seems unfortunate to me. I don't see any benefit in tying her character to Spock in any way, other than to try and add some sort of credibility to the series. If there were a way to have any of the actors involved, that might be different, but at this point, it seems worthy of just being its own show.

But I will concede that it appears they weren't lazy about making it work, I just think it is unfortunate they chose that path.

I appreciated the other series' tie-ins with TOS as an homage to the show and characters / cast. They were mostly cheesy, some more so than others. Although I can't recall if Enterprise did that. With Discovery, it seems less like an homage. If I'm able to see it at some point, maybe I'll see the light :)
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing it does not care about anymore is the white guy.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
I wonder if that would that be life imitating art, or art intimidating life.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
patrix_neo wrote:
I wonder if that would that be life imitating art, or art intimidating life.

So art it is. Life is as it should be. Darwinian. Still there will be minority reports...
[edit] So, I see you as an artist, and you see me as a racist?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: