Boot locks up at 'Populating /dev'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Boot locks up at 'Populating /dev' Reply with quote

Good morning all!

I'm surprisingly having a tough time with this install, and I can only attest it to my Radeon card and lack of experience with them (haven't used Radeon with Gentoo for a very long time). After a successful installation (or so I thought), I tried to boot into the system and it locks up at 'Populating /dev with existing devices through uevents ...' Hopefully someone can see something that I do not. Below is my kernel config:

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/ztySYA3UMBNrLemRW6du/

and dmesg:

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/ddJCQT2GEEjDOh7Gwpr2/

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lspci -k

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/LSnNEwM73Fgq7xn3jpA0/
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Boot locks up at 'Populating /dev' Reply with quote

FrankRizz0 wrote:
... After a successful installation (or so I thought),

Can you boot that installation using boot option 5) of http://sysresccd.org?
If so, proceed configuring the kernel.
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not using the sysrescue cd because for some reason it won't boot, I had to move the installation medium to livedvd. I had some assistance earlier and reconfigured the kernel:

https://paste.pound-python.org/raw/xQvKs6dTJHwqiqGcQGkC/

I thought it had worked, and I actually rebooted into the system, but I realized that after I had rebooted, I did not "make install" after the rebuild. I did make install, rebooted again and the system locked up at Populating /dev again. I've done basically the exact same install 100 times on 5 different systems, and the only real difference is the video card (radeon vs nvidia). Unfortunately I have no idea where to go from here cause it looks like it's booting fine.
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing that just dawned on me, I am not using the sysrescuecd to do the install, I am using the LiveDVD, but this would not create this issue....would it?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankRizz0 wrote:
I thought it had worked, and I actually rebooted into the system, but I realized that after I had rebooted, I did not "make install" after the rebuild. I did make install, rebooted again and the system locked up at Populating /dev again. I've done basically the exact same install 100 times on 5 different systems, and the only real difference is the video card (radeon vs nvidia). Unfortunately I have no idea where to go from here cause it looks like it's booting fine.
make install doesn't tell the system to use the new kernel. What did you do to configure the system to use the new kernel (grub2, grub legacy, lilo)?
FrankRizz0
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point, and I thought that make install DID! I did not use anything obviously, but I did decide to try another install using the sysrescue CD, and it's almost finished so I'll up date you guys soon.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you lack a firmware your kernel will get stuck waiting for the timeout, something you can easy mistake with "lock up" on screen.
if you consider time taken to reboot/using livecd, mount directories and setup chroot... it might just be better (time speaking) to just go make a coffee and let your kernel end its booting instead.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: