Troubleshooting Wake-on-LAN
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Wake-on-LAN Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a workstation which has a WOL-capable ethernet controller. I have made sure this functionality is enabled in the BIOS as best as I am able - there was a WOL setting, and I disabled deep sleep, which said it would conflict with WOL (though the menu options did not exclude each other). Checking with ethtool shows that the magic packet wake option can be enabled, and it is enabled by default. I have added configuration that should make sure magic packet waking is set before each shutdown, and /etc/conf.d/rc has RC_DOWN_INTERFACE="no". See this forum post. I've since found /etc/conf.d/rc is deprecated, but am unable to find its replacement.

R0b0t1.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setting I was looking for is now in netifrc, and is ifdown_${name}="NO" in /etc/conf.d/net. Unfortunately, the system will still not wake after shutdown. The link light is off. Is there anything else to check?

I've attempted to go into S3 (suspend to RAM) with "echo mem > /sys/power/state" but that also seems to disable the NIC. Using pm-suspend with a script containing "ethtool -s ${name} wol pug" (/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/70wol) turns off the screen and makes the system unresponsive, but does not turn off the fans or, I think, the main power supply relay. The link light does not turn off, but I can't send a magic packet to wake the system.

Does anyone know how to proceed from here?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: