Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Postfix Authentication Method: is 'normal password' secure?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Postfix Authentication Method: is 'normal password' secure? Reply with quote

A few months ago I finished building a new mail server, following Gentoo's virtual mail server guide (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Complete_Virtual_Mail_Server).
Now, I noticed that recent Gmail accounts are using authentication method called OAUTH2 whereas my mail server uses 'normal password'.

According to Wikipedia: "OAuth is an open standard for access delegation, commonly used as a way for Internet users to grant websites or applications access to their information on other websites but without giving them the passwords."
So it seems unnecessary for the simple needs I currently have which are receiving and sending mail via imap.
Nevertheless, I still wonder whether 'normal password' is the secure way to go, or is it that the guide is simply a bit outdated and maybe I should switch to a different method?

Edit: I connect via SSL/TLS of course
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OAuth2 only exists because website security in general is a trash fire. (Sufficiently complex) passwords over TLS are fine.
jhon987
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Thanks Ant
chiefbag
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note if you use 2 step authentication on your GMail account you can generate separate "App Passwords" to allow the likes of Postfix access your GMail account.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: