[Solved] Periodic 1-second cpu usage spikes from plasmashell
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayOfLight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: [Solved] Periodic 1-second cpu usage spikes from plasmashell Reply with quote

After having my plasma session open for some hours, and after quitting any open foreground applications, my cpu usage is still at about 10-15%, spiking like a sinewave every second or so, much like:

This post with screen captures which I can't bother registering to

ptrace hasn't helped me much, but disabling my system tray clock "show seconds" feature, has solved it, so I'm typing this for posteriority.

Do you reproduce this problem? I have an i7-3517U CPU and it's quite sad that a simple screen update and a clock interrupt/polling, needs this much cpu power and HEAT generated on my laptop (it sucks my battery dry in less than two hours.

Anyway, now we all know :)
RayOfLight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reappeared, this time it was my disk usage warning animation on the taskbar, apparently you can set ksysguard to refresh very quickly and it doesn't bother the CPU, but the taskbar widgets? no way, they all waste resources :/ (Diagnosed through paint refreshes on my window compositor effects)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: