bug - Forum display width started exceeding screen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: bug - Forum display width started exceeding screen Reply with quote

I've noticed this every so often, and then it goes away, so I don't bother to kick up a fuss. But I think I've guessed what's happening.
The issue is gentoo forum displays start being wider than my laptop's screen, so I have to scroll right to get the right hand margin and ends of sentences. (This isn't the problem where somehow lines don't get wrapped on certain posts. In those cases I've had to scroll right several times to read all the line. I assume it's some niggle in the post contents. I'm talking about a small excess, about 25 characters and thread- not post-related.) My laptop has a small screen, 1024x600.

It's currently happening on the politics of systemd - part 3 thread. My hypothesis is it starts when the number of pages exceeds 9, causing some width calculation to double-count the digits in the "Go to page" navigator at the top and bottom. That would explain why it's not a problem on most forums, After a while, it will go away because the forum gets split according to the rules, and the new "systemd - part 4" will have less than 10 pages, for a whlle, at least ;-)
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This usually happens because there's a long "word" (a string characters with no whitespace in them) that can't be word-wrapped properly. Emerge errors often contain these and so you'll find those kinds of threads tend to have this problem.

What pages on that thread are you having trouble with? All of them? Or just some of them? Currently, the only thing that stands out to me is there's a user whose signature contains such a long "word", and this might not be fitting in your screen width. Does this correlate with your experience?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp,

To add to what Akkara said, the forum mods often fix these long lines but its a manual job.
Newer firefox seems to wrap these lines anyway, so I don't see as many as I used to :)

Feel free to report these threads.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chromium is still really bad at word-wrapping (but not just on this site). Putting this in a user CSS makes things much better:
Code:
.code { word-break: break-word }
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara, thanks you're right, there's a user with a long "word" in his sig that appears on every page but 8 of the relevant thread, and page 8 does format correctly.

Ant P. Thanks, but I'm not a Chromium user - Opera or konqueror (which seems to be alive-ish! with a WebEngine backend). Both show the problem.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

I had been meaning to discuss the signature with said user for quite a while now, but since it wasn't that big of an issue, I never got to it.

Since there is an actual topic about it now, I have initiated a conversation towards a swift-like solution.

Thank you for reminding me about it! :]
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.
I've changed my sig now. I didn't saw it breaking the layout on firefox... Although I use to keep my own custom zoom and font settings that might affect the behaviour.

I'll try to remember this next time I plan to change my sig.
Thanks. And sorry for all the broken layouts. ;)
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Akkara, thanks you're right, there's a user with a long "word" in his sig that appears on every page but 8 of the relevant thread, and page 8 does format correctly.

Never noticed that. Makes me wonder what the result actually was... And how could it happen that only pages with some specific number were affected.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Makes me wonder what the result actually was... And how could it happen that only pages with some specific number were affected.

Those were the pages containing posts with long words. It has nothing to do with page numbers, and everything to do with whether posts on the page in question contains long words (whatever their source, whether signature or in the post text itself).
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My workaround for that is a button in the firefox bookmark toolbar with this code as the URL:
Code:
javascript:(function(){var%20D=document;F(D.body);function%20F(n){var%20u,r,c,x;if(n.nodeType==3){u=n.data.search(/\S{45}/);if(u>=0){r=n.splitText(u+45);n.parentNode.insertBefore(D.createElement('wbr'),r);}}else%20if((n.tagName!='STYLE')&&(n.tagName!='SCRIPT')){for(c=0;x=n.childNodes[c];++c){F(x);}}}D.body.innerHTML+='%20';})();

I think I got this from this forum years ago.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: