Someone Tell Lennart Poettering to Stand in the Street
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Someone Tell Lennart Poettering to Stand in the Street Reply with quote

I'm going to drive over his dumb ass with my truck.

systemctl should not return non-zero simply because I choose to query the status of a service that happens to be stopped. It should return non-zero if the query operation itself fails and the code should specify why it failed.

Fuckin' idiot...
Federal Premium HST 124gr (P9HST1)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally had to use it at work. From a UI/UX perspective, it is horribly designed.
HungGarTiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Someone Tell Lennart Poettering to Stand in the Street Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm going to drive over his dumb ass with my truck.

systemctl should not return non-zero simply because I choose to query the status of a service that happens to be stopped. It should return non-zero if the query operation itself fails and the code should specify why it failed.

Fuckin' idiot...

Lennart wrote:
Just don't do that thing, then it isn't a problem.
saellaven
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a vocal opponent of systemd based on the merits, I wish Poettering no ill will. In fact, he will probably quote your post at some point to talk about how people want him dead (as he's done in the past).
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
As a vocal opponent of systemd based on the merits, I wish Poettering no ill will. In fact, he will probably quote your post at some point to talk about how people want him dead (as he's done in the past).
Exactly.

The best thing for linux is he keeps on going pushing he crap architectural designs. The more his screwups occur, the more he posts his ridiculous defenses the more people will really see how bad it is. Silence him, give him a valid reason to dismiss and it will perpetuate.

Let him burn himself out due to his incompetence.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is this thing called hyperbole.

Naib wrote:
Let him burn himself out due to his incompetence.
Is RedHat going to burn out? Pottering is just a dev. Maybe he finishes his contribution and moves on to another project. But RH is still going to have an employee who maintains that code base. And with as much as systemd as usurped, it would be a big undertaking to undo.

I'd say the better approach would be to build a better alternative.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be completely wrong, but I suspect systemd will not survive without Pottering's cult of personality. Once that is gone Redhat will move on to the next "Big Thing" to cover its complacency with the spaghetti code and general mess.

Of course, how other distros react is the wild card. They may opt for developing their own or adopting OpenRC. I tend to think that is an eventual outcome since Pottering seems to have a habit of alienating key developers.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I may be completely wrong, but I suspect systemd will not survive without Pottering's cult of personality.

I'm not entirely sure how it ended up spreading so far with his personality in the first place. The guy is full on cancer incarnate.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
The Doctor wrote:
I may be completely wrong, but I suspect systemd will not survive without Pottering's cult of personality.
I'm not entirely sure how it ended up spreading so far with his personality in the first place. The guy is full on cancer incarnate.
Exactly. It isn't your weight. It's how you throw it around. ;)

He has been very successful in whipping up supporters in key locations. The plebs really don't get a vote and he doesn't mind stepping on them. That works out in the short term, but long term it is asking for rebellion.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I wouldn't care about this if I had a chip in my head...
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even a systemd powered chip
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, any part of the chip that decided to get the status of a stopped service would probably cause the whole thing to fail.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate the mess that systemd has created, I feel I should point out that this specific complaint seems ill-placed, or at least ill-explained. OpenRC also returns a nonzero status when I query a stopped service, and as far as I know, this is the expected way of testing whether the service manager thinks the service should be running. Specifically, I did /etc/init.d/lvm --quiet status on a system where LVM is not running, and $? afterward was 3. Running the same command for a service that is presently running sets $? to 0.

OP: what do you think should be the workflow for querying whether a given service is expected to be running?
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
As much as I hate the mess that systemd has created, I feel I should point out that this specific complaint seems ill-placed, or at least ill-explained. OpenRC also returns a nonzero status when I query a stopped service, and as far as I know, this is the expected way of testing whether the service manager thinks the service should be running. Specifically, I did /etc/init.d/lvm --quiet status on a system where LVM is not running, and $? afterward was 3. Running the same command for a service that is presently running sets $? to 0.

OP: what do you think should be the workflow for querying whether a given service is expected to be running?

I missed this reply for some reason.

Hu wrote:

How about you don't return non-zero if the operation is successful? What you're suggesting is that I ran:

Code:
systemctl assert whatever.service running

I'm not asserting anything. I'm asking. Non-zero should only be returned if it can't successfully carry out its orders, and the value of that return code should why.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm asking. Non-zero should only be returned if it can't successfully carry out its orders, and the value of that return code should why.

Why would there ever be a case where an init system would ever fail to print current status? More useful information to your scripts would be to enumerate the number of failed services, would it not?

I hate systemd as much as anyone, but this doesn't really seem to be the hill worth dying on.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
I'm asking. Non-zero should only be returned if it can't successfully carry out its orders, and the value of that return code should why.

Why would there ever be a case where an init system would ever fail to print current status? More useful information to your scripts would be to enumerate the number of failed services, would it not?
I would expect a nonzero return value to mean the status of the service is indeterminate. Knowing that it has stopped is not indeterminate.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
I would expect a nonzero return value to mean the status of the service is indeterminate. Knowing that it has stopped is not indeterminate.

Or it could have a specific number for general failure and another for an indeterminate failure state.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidanjt wrote:
Why would there ever be a case where an init system would ever fail to print current status?

1. Permission denied.
2. Service not found.
3. Service manager not started.

etc...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: