View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my understanding the handbook should cover either what the devs intend to be the desired usage or the common case. Given how the situation unfolded with the systemd case, I think it's pretty safe to assume most people will default to that. It should be up to the advanced users to branch away from systemd, not the other way around.

EFI vs MBR: This issue exists solely because we are in a transition phase. MBR will be phased out eventually (for the mainstream at least), so in the mean time installations will have to deal with it in a case by case basis. It's not rocket science anyway.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm not sure if that is completely correct either. I would think the vast majority of Gentoo refugees are people desperately trying to avoid systemd, so the default should be OpenRC. I'm curious to see how many people have actually grabbed the systemd stage3.

However there are the newcomers to Linux who will also have interest in Gentoo. These people likely will not care either way unless they have already used systemd before from another distribution. Then this might be an influence - get away or stick to comfort, probably the latter.

However it would be nice to unify the initial install. As systemd requires an additional bootloader step, as well as the "refugee" issue, I think the default of openrc is still correct, at least up until the point people start mass downloading the systemd stage3.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The political discussions on systemd are out of place in this topic, which is about the Gentoo handbook.
Please use The Politics of systemd Part 3 for discussions of that nature.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least the existence of the systemd stage3 is relevant to the fresh installation of Gentoo and thus has a potential to be mentioned in the handbook. The only mention of the systemd stage3 tarball I've found so far is in https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/Installing_Gnome3_from_scratch , which appears to be written as a "diff" to the handbook - not exactly the friendliest way for a newcomer to install.

In fact this reference might be helpful for the OP, just replace "gnome" with "kde" up until the actual point of installing gnome3. Now that section you should replace with "installing kde".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: