Yaaaaay finally installed my Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pr0cesor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Yaaaaay finally installed my Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi folks,

First of all I would like to great everyone, after countless attempts (10+ maybe) of installing Gentoo on my laptop, finally I made it until having actually my Plasma desktop fully running. I think it's been 3 weeks now that I was struggling with the installation. I am happy to be part of this community, during the install process I learned many things which I am grateful.

So here I am a Gentoo noob that is ready to start an adventure.

How many times did u try to install the system again after failures? :P I am curious.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Yaaaaay finally installed my Gentoo Reply with quote

pr0cesor wrote:
Hi folks,

First of all I would like to great everyone, after countless attempts (10+ maybe) of installing Gentoo on my laptop, finally I made it until having actually my Plasma desktop fully running. I think it's been 3 weeks now that I was struggling with the installation. I am happy to be part of this community, during the install process I learned many things which I am grateful.

So here I am a Gentoo noob that is ready to start an adventure.

How many times did u try to install the system again after failures? :P I am curious.

A few times before I had the system I wanted initially, it gets easier with practice ;) Welcome to Gentoo.
pr0cesor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Yaaaaay finally installed my Gentoo Reply with quote

ian.au wrote:

A few times before I had the system I wanted initially, it gets easier with practice ;) Welcome to Gentoo.

I've learned how to partition disk using parted and how to create partitions for gentoo linux :P (thanks to my multiple failures, I know the process by head already haha).

I love Gentoo already and the simplicity of the emerge command.

Although I have a question, how can I use the emerge command as per SUDO using a regular admin account and not root?
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add your user to the portage group
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Pr0cesor,

Not certain but I think it was 4 or 5 times to get a booting command prompt. After getting a basic working desktop environment there were a few occasions I just scrubbed Gentoo and installed Arch or Mint to get something done. My current Gentoo has been running since June last year, which is nice.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Yaaaaay finally installed my Gentoo Reply with quote

pr0cesor wrote:
Although I have a question, how can I use the emerge command as per SUDO using a regular admin account and not root?

Some users like sudo, others don't. Some like me even dont' have sudo installed.

Even without having sudo installed, you could use su -c
Code:
su -c "eix-sync && emerge -uDUavt --with-bdeps=y --complete-graph @world && emerge @preserved-rebuild && eclean-dist -d && emerge -ac"
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pr0cesor,

Welcome to the Gentoo community.

There have never been any failed Gentoo installs.
However, there are varying degrees of success :)

Its very difficult to break Gentoo, or mess up an install, so badly, the only option is to start again.
You learn more by fixing your Gentoo that you do by reinstalling.

I'm sure you learned things from all of your installs ... to me, that's a degree of success.

Enjoy your Gentoo.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
joanandk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Its very difficult to break Gentoo, or mess up an install, so badly, the only option is to start again.

I have been cloning Gentoo installs and have never had any big trouble, many it worked out of the box. If your optimisation is not very strict, it is a miracle if Gentoo does not boot.
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@pr0 - I think mine was about 5 or 6 attempts, first few were due to not really understanding what I was doing, later ones were due to finding early arbitrary decisions caused problems it was easier to blow it away and start again than try to change it!

Once you've tripped all the land mines and rakes it's much easier the next time around ;)

The best thing I did was keeping a log of what I did and what commands I used and why!

My original Gentoo server started life as a Pentium MMX 200 and ended as an Opteron 180, going through several other systems on the way - I only rebuilt it from scratch for this most recent system because I was moving to 64-bits and was sooooo glad I kept those notes!

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Its very difficult to break Gentoo, or mess up an install, so badly, the only option is to start again..

You clearly haven't tried not updating it for a year :P

(This is a good lesson - Keep your Gentoo up to date! If you let it lag too far behind it can very easily become a massive pain in the place the sun shineth not out of to untangle the dependency cascade hell that results!)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker,

I have an Intel Atom N270 based netbook that gets updated about every 18 months, so I do get a bit of practice in the over 12 months update field.
Its not an essential tool though, so if I break the install, I don't really mind. That allows me to be a bit more adventurous than I would be with an old install that had to be kept alive during the update process.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tuggbuss
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it all set up accordingly in my third strike, and now running my 4:th installation on different hw.
First time it took me ~a week, mostly because reading stuff. The installation/configuration per se didn't take so long, maybe an hour and a halv.
It's not hard at all, it's just paying attention and follow the Handbook accordingly to my arch.
ChalkboardHero
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few rough tries, I learned that certain flaky hardware wasn't worth the effort. Although now I've learned to slide into a broken Gentoo install and fix it from there, so now it's close to 1:1, as long as I'm not being excessive.

I've had 1 machine running for a few years now. And I aim to keep it running as I write code on it. :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: