View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Beth Mowins Sucks Reply with quote

ESPN thought it would be brilliant to put a super loud annoying cow in to do the play-by-play for the Monday Night Football game between the Chargers and the Broncos.

Worst announcer ever

The comment section over at SBNation says it all.

ESPN is completely run by Disney SJWs, and their decisions are as stupid as one would assume.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is a woman commentating on football? :?
Federal Premium HST 124gr (P9HST1)
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

Exactly.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Beth Mowins Sucks Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Worst announcer ever

The comment section over at SBNation says it all.
Most of the criticisms I scanned through seemed to be primarily annoyed that it was a woman, masked by not liking her voice. Or possibly they don't like her voice, and then criticize her gender. This is what I would call "soft" sexism if they don't realize what they're doing. If they know, then it isn't "soft."

For example, I loathe Jim Nantz. But I don't criticize him because he's a he. I find his voice annoying and he comes across to me like a pompous ass. On the other hand, Johnny Miller may not always be loved by players for his honest and blunt critiques, but he knows what he's talking about.

Muso wrote:
ESPN is completely run by Disney SJWs, and their decisions are as stupid as one would assume.
The whole sport seems to be turning into SJWistan. I haven't watched broadcast television in several months, but I've heard there has been a lot of kneeling going on during the national anthem so far this season. My only hope now is that Brady wins every SB until he retires. Then I hope to never hear about the sport for the rest of my life.

wswartzendruber wrote:
Why not?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Beth Mowins Sucks Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Why not?

It's not a girl's sport.

Why don't we have men doing menstrual slam poetry?

ESPN’s Jemele Hill Calls President Trump a White Supremacist

ESPN is a disgrace. MNF needs to go to another network.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuck ESPN. Channel blocked.
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

Exactly.
I am actually rather surprised that either, much less both, of you have such a strong gender bias in regards to simply presenting commentary on a game, there it literally nothing stopping women from doing color or play by play commentary every bit as well as men. Knowing the rules and players and providing entertaining and/or informative commentary on them as the game progresses, and afterward, hardly seems a gender specific skill set.

pjp wrote:
Most of the criticisms I scanned through seemed to be primarily annoyed that it was a woman, masked by not liking her voice. Or possibly they don't like her voice, and then criticize her gender. This is what I would call "soft" sexism if they don't realize what they're doing. If they know, then it isn't "soft."
Without reading through the comments on that site at all, nor having listened to her commentary; that seems sexist as well, it is every bit as possible for women to have grating voices as it is for men. Just because someone that you disagree with is being sexist, does not mean that you are not.

Muso wrote:
It's not a girl's sport.
Tell that to the leagues of female players. If you do it personally, please post video.
Muso wrote:
Why don't we have men doing menstrual slam poetry?
So, there is some specific in game use for the contents of a codpiece? Do tell.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Muso wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

Exactly.
I am actually rather surprised that either, much less both, of you have such a strong gender bias in regards to simply presenting commentary on a game, there it literally nothing stopping women from doing color or play by play commentary every bit as well as men. Knowing the rules and players and providing entertaining and/or informative commentary on them as the game progresses, and afterward, hardly seems a gender specific skill set.

It's a preference and tradition. If the woman sounded decent, it probably wouldn't bother me. But Beth Mowins sounds horrible... imagine a very loud woman doing the world's worst Harry Caray impression while getting the details of game wrong.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
pjp wrote:
Without reading through the comments on that site at all, nor having listened to her commentary; that seems sexist as well, it is every bit as possible for women to have grating voices as it is for men. Just because someone that you disagree with is being sexist, does not mean that you are not.
I wasn't able to follow that thought through to the end. Taking a stab, what I was trying to get at is that I believe intent is absolutely relevant.

muso wrote:
It's a preference and tradition. If the woman sounded decent, it probably wouldn't bother me. But Beth Mowins sounds horrible... imagine a very loud woman doing the world's worst Harry Caray impression while getting the details of game wrong.
Finding something about a person annoying is fine. And/or if they are "not good enough for the national stage," that's a perfectly reasonable criticism. As is criticizing the decision to hire that person. But in none of those cases is gender relevant.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
muso wrote:
Finding something about a person annoying is fine. And/or if they are "not good enough for the national stage," that's a perfectly reasonable criticism. As is criticizing the decision to hire that person. But in none of those cases is gender relevant.

I'd wager gender is the main reason why ESPN picked her instead of say... any of the thousand or so retired players or other known play callers.

As Gandhi said, "If you shove that crap down my throat, don't be shocked when I spit it back up"

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. And even if she was the best ever, that decision would still be horrible.
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
It's a preference and tradition. If the woman sounded decent, it probably wouldn't bother me.
In that case, why "It's not a girl's sport." and "Why don't we have men doing menstrual slam poetry?", when "Women commentating football is not my cup of tea either." would seem rather more fitting?
Muso wrote:
But Beth Mowins sounds horrible... imagine a very loud woman doing the world's worst Harry Caray impression while getting the details of game wrong.
What little of her commentary I could find in my brief search did not seem especially bad, though perhaps it is relevant that I needed to find some samples from Harry Caray for reference per your analogy.

pjp wrote:
desultory wrote:
pjp wrote:
I wasn't able to follow that thought through to the end. Taking a stab, what I was trying to get at is that I believe intent is absolutely relevant.
My intent was to explicitly note that I had not read the comments to which you had referred, nor yet listened to any of her commentary at all, Thus I had no baseline other than your description by which to judge the comments you mentioned. That commentary serving to decouple from the immediate context my observation of the fallacy that someone disliking some other person's action (in this case the performance of commentary though I was generalizing at this point) indicated a necessary bias against that other person (again generalizing to sexual, racial, age, religious, or whatever else). Subscription to that fallacy is itself often, though not necessarily, due to bias intended to be in favor of the group thus "discriminated against". Point being, again as s general matter, that it is entirely possible to dislike something someone does without being biased against any class they happen to be assigned to by society or members thereof and bearing that in mind has apparently fallen out of favor in recent years.
pjp wrote:
To put my reply a bit more succinctly: "++".
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Muso wrote:
It's a preference and tradition. If the woman sounded decent, it probably wouldn't bother me.
In that case, why "It's not a girl's sport." and "Why don't we have men doing menstrual slam poetry?", when "Women commentating football is not my cup of tea either." would seem rather more fitting?

Sure.

desultory wrote:
Muso wrote:
But Beth Mowins sounds horrible... imagine a very loud woman doing the world's worst Harry Caray impression while getting the details of game wrong.
What little of her commentary I could find in my brief search did not seem especially bad, though perhaps it is relevant that I needed to find some samples from Harry Caray for reference per your analogy.

Here's a parody, but it explains well enough.

{EDIT} Fixed link

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Last edited by Muso on Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:32 am; edited 1 time in total
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Are you sure that was the correct link?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:
Muso wrote:

Oh, nope. This is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lh7mdekB_k

Kindness Evokes Kindness

desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
desultory wrote:
Muso wrote:

Oh, nope. This is : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lh7mdekB_k
I was going by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G43p8dHNnhQ for Harry Caray reference... that link seems more a harakiri reference, at least that impression should be career suicide.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find any specific coverage of the game, but what I heard didn't stand out (obviously being annoyed is a personal thing). And that obviously doesn't address any "knowledge of the game" concerns which seem to have been mentioned (elsewhere if not here). With very little to go on and trying to find something, I could maybe see a bit of Hillary-esqueness.
biggie1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: beth mowins sux, she suuuucks Reply with quote

WHY DOES A SHRILL WOMAN TRYING TO SOUND LIKE A MAN ACCEPTABLE IN BIGTIME FOOTBALL PBP ANNOUNCING?? SHE SUCKS SOMETHING TERRIBLE. ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED HAS TO JUST WANT TO TURN IT OFF WHEN THEY LISTEN TO HER.... SHE IS THE WORST...MUST HAVE SEVERE DADDY ISSUES.... FIRE HER!!!!!!
biggie1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:05 am    Post subject: I , personally, turn it off.... Reply with quote

AS SOON AS I HEAR THAT INCOMPETENT SHRILL TUFF WOMAN SOUNDING VOICE..... SHE DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL. SHE JUST MONKEYS BITS AND PIECES FROM OTHER PBP GUYS... PROBLEM IS...SHE'S NOT A GUY...SO WHEN SHE APES A GUYS PERSPECTIVE IT DOESNT FIT. SHE SUX, SHE REALLY DOES.
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: beth mowins sux, she suuuucks Reply with quote

biggie1 wrote:
WHY DOES A SHRILL WOMAN TRYING TO SOUND LIKE A MAN ACCEPTABLE IN BIGTIME FOOTBALL PBP ANNOUNCING?? SHE SUCKS SOMETHING TERRIBLE. ANYONE WHO HAS PLAYED HAS TO JUST WANT TO TURN IT OFF WHEN THEY LISTEN TO HER.... SHE IS THE WORST...MUST HAVE SEVERE DADDY ISSUES.... FIRE HER!!!!!!

biggie1 wrote:
AS SOON AS I HEAR THAT INCOMPETENT SHRILL TUFF WOMAN SOUNDING VOICE..... SHE DOESNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL. SHE JUST MONKEYS BITS AND PIECES FROM OTHER PBP GUYS... PROBLEM IS...SHE'S NOT A GUY...SO WHEN SHE APES A GUYS PERSPECTIVE IT DOESNT FIT. SHE SUX, SHE REALLY DOES.
Your Caps Lock appears to be stuck.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief. He makes me look tame.

Who is that, really?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, but sounds like someone with bigger mommy/women issues than his perception of her daddy issues.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
. . .
Who is that, really?

It's not me.

While I still write (on paper) with my capslock stuck engaged I learned more than twenty five years ago that people do not appreciate reading all caps when typed. Oddly enough I get almost nothing but compliments about my "all caps" handwriting. Of course there is that one exception (isn't there always?!?).

I typically try to ignore most posters with a zero post count. I highly recommend trying it out! :twisted:

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write all caps too and get compliments on it. It's a Marine Corps thing and it's one of the habits I took with me on the way out.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I write all caps too and get compliments on it. It's a Marine Corps thing and it's one of the habits I took with me on the way out.

Yep, all caps here too. Learned it from my dad. Never been complimented on it though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: