cross-avr: ld fails with '-pie is not supported' [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: cross-avr: ld fails with '-pie is not supported' [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi again.

I don't know if it's because I ran eselect gcc or not but since then I can no longer compile anything for the AVR platform. For the record I installed avr-gcc using crossdev and it worked like a charm until I decided to peek into higher versions of the compiler, which latest version is 6.4.0 as of now. Note that I had to manually install the symbolic link /usr/avr/lib/ldscripts -> /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/avr/lib/ldscripts to make the original toollchain work.

After I've installed cross-avr/gcc-6.4.0 all I get wierdly enough is this:
avr-gcc -g -Wall -mcall-prologues -fshort-enums -Os -ffreestanding -Wl,-gc-sections -Wl,-relax -mmcu=atmega64m1 dac.c -o dac:
dac.c:1:0: warning: -fPIC is not supported [-fPIC]
 /*

dac.c:1:0: warning: -fPIE is not supported [-fPIE]
/usr/libexec/gcc/avr/ld: -pie not supported
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm not even invoking -pie! Where the heck does that come from?

I've tried to completely remove cross-*/* and reinstall only one version of each tool (all stable but GCC). No way, I'm still getting the error.

equery l cross-*/*:
[I-O] [ -] cross-avr/avr-libc-2.0.0:0
[I-O] [ -] cross-avr/binutils-2.28.1:2.28.1
[I-O] [ -] cross-avr/gcc-6.4.0:6.4.0

ll /usr/libexec/gcc/avr/ld:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 51  8 sep 15:42 /usr/libexec/gcc/avr/ld -> /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/avr/binutils-bin/2.28.1/ld

EDIT: I don't know what muse inspired me to check USE flags for avr-gcc-6.4.0 but the latter was indeed compiled with... pie. I added -pie to my global USE flags for crossdev, reinstalled avr-gcc and now the issue has gone.

Case closed. *pfew*
salfter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: cross-avr: ld fails with '-pie is not supported' [SOLVED Reply with quote

VinzC wrote:
EDIT: I don't know what muse inspired me to check USE flags for avr-gcc-6.4.0 but the latter was indeed compiled with... pie. I added -pie to my global USE flags for crossdev, reinstalled avr-gcc and now the issue has gone.

Just had the same issue...applied the same fix and got everything running again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: