Folders open in Dolphin, but should use Nautilus
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Folders open in Dolphin, but should use Nautilus Reply with quote

[Moderator note: changed title from dolphin naughty-lust to try to attract helpful answers. Normally, I would not change a marginal title like this, but when I saw the old title, I expected to find binnable adult-only spam. -Hu]

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out why dolphin has replaced nautilus as the default when I open folders.

For example, when I log into gnome, on the desktop are icons. If I double-click a folder-icon, it gets opened by dolphin and not nautilus as expected.

I can't remember doing anything explicit to enable this.

The system does have KDE installed and Plasma can be selected from the GDM login menu.

Can I get the regular association back?

I tried searching for it with gconf-editor but it appears gconf's search function does not return any results.

Thanks for the help
fturco
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try adding the following line in ~/.config/mimeapps.list under the [Default Applications] section:
Code:
inode/directory=org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop
Progman3K
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Folders open in Dolphin, but should use Nautilus Reply with quote

Progman3K wrote:
[Moderator note: changed title from dolphin naughty-lust to try to attract helpful answers. Normally, I would not change a marginal title like this, but when I saw the old title, I expected to find binnable adult-only spam. -Hu]

Dear Hu,

That's the very reason I used that title; trying to get some interest through salaciousness. I realize it was probably not the right thing to do. Thanks for correcting it!

Hi fturco!

I added the line you recommended but it hasn't changed the behaviour back.

Maybe a logout/login

EDIT:

Nope, no change even after a restart
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can help this?
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mime-association stuff is somewhat tricky. Different desktops use different algorithms for finding default handler for mime type. There are few utilities that might be helpful here.

I would recommend to start with command

Code:

xdg-mime default /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop inode/directory

That might do desired action in the appropriate way for your desktop. But might not. If not then if you use Gnome desktop you may want to try

Code:

gvfs-mime --set inode/directory /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop

gvfs-mime is from package gnome-base/gvfs

In general one can use strace to see which files are checked during searching for default handler. For example

Code:

strace -f -o trace.txt kde-open Dir-Name

HTH
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: