View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Someone needs to deactivate Google's circuits.

Google Shopping is no longer filtering all searches containing “gun”

Quote:
Note that it is extensively filtering the results.
Earlier a bunch of searches were returning items that violate their policy ( https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/6150004 ) and so they started blocking keywords entirely.

Now they aren't blocking keywords but have reduced the number of items in the results that violate their policy. It's wack-a-mole though: https://www.google.com/search?output=search&tbm=shop&q=black...

Triggering spell check is a fun pattern:

https://www.google.com/search?output=search&tbm=shop&q=trigg...

At the moment the second result there is AR-15 parts, while "trigger group" is blocked as a search term.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex-Google recruiter: I was fired for opposing hiring caps on white, Asian male nerds
Quote:
A former recruiter for Google and YouTube has sued the search ad beast, claiming he was fired for objecting to hiring policies that discriminated against white and Asian men.

In a civil lawsuit filed in January in San Mateo Superior Court, plaintiff Arne Wilberg contended that he was an exemplary employee who received positive performance evaluations "until he began opposing illegal hiring and recruiting practices at Google."

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a loss for words. I mean, I knew social media / tech companies had a detrimental morality, but this...

source wrote:
In thinking about an ideal world where you could set Facebook's policies, how would you handle the following: a private message in which an adult man asks a 14 year old girl for sexual pictures.
  • This content should be allowed on Facebook, and I would not mind seeing it.
  • This content should be allowed on Facebook, but I don't want to see it.
  • This content should not be allowed on Facebook, and no one should be able to see it.
  • I have no preference on this topic.

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'm at a loss for words. I mean, I knew social media / tech companies had a detrimental morality, but this...

source wrote:
In thinking about an ideal world where you could set Facebook's policies, how would you handle the following: a private message in which an adult man asks a 14 year old girl for sexual pictures.
  • This content should be allowed on Facebook, and I would not mind seeing it.
  • This content should be allowed on Facebook, but I don't want to see it.
  • This content should not be allowed on Facebook, and no one should be able to see it.
  • I have no preference on this topic.

Jim covers it in his most eloquent way

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to persuade a robot that you should get the job

Quote:
asks candidates to answer interview questions in front of a camera. Meanwhile its software, like a team of hawk-eyed psychologists hiding behind a mirror, takes note of barely perceptible changes in posture, facial expression and vocal tone.

“We break the answers people give down into many thousands of data points, into verbal and non-verbal cues,” [...] The program turns this data into a score, which is then compared against one the program has already “learned” from top-performing employees.
Also, "automated analyses compare favourably with established tests of personality and ability". I keep hearing that in the US, personality tests for employment are not legal. They're used anyway, just not by name.

Quote:
With applications rising, employers have automated as much of the process as possible. This started more than a decade ago with simple programs that scanned text CVs for key words. It has now expanded to include quizzes, psychometric tests, games and chatbots that can reject applicants before a human ever glances at their CV.

Jobseekers are forced to prepare for whatever format a prospective employer has chosen, a familiar power shift in the gig economy era. And without human interaction or feedback, an already difficult process has become deeply alienating.

Beyond the dehumanising experience lurk the usual concerns that attend automation and AI, which uses data often shaped by inequality. If you suspect you’ve been discriminated against by an algorithm, what recourse do you have? How vulnerable are those formulas to bias? And is it inevitable that non-traditional or poorer candidates, or those who struggle with new technology, will be excluded from the process?

“It’s a bit dehumanising, never being able to get through to an employer,” says Robert, a plumber in his 40s whom I met at a weekly jobs club in London. He uses job boards and recruiters to find temporary work. Harry, 24, has been searching for a job for four months. In retail “just about every job opening” requires a test or game. He completes four or five a week. The rejections are often instant, piling up without a word of feedback. Every time you start again from zero.

“You never know what you’ve done wrong. It leaves you feeling a bit trapped,” Harry says.

The problem is worst for older jobseekers.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On 2017.Aug.27 wswartzendruber wrote:
I just realized that Microsoft's position on hate speech and censorship seems to be non-existent. Hrm.....
I guess they wanted to wait for some of the noise to settle so there would be less distraction from their limelight...

Microsoft to ban 'offensive language' from Skype, Xbox, Office and other services
Quote:
Microsoft will ban 'offensive language' and 'inappropriate content' from Skype, Xbox, Office and other services on May 1, claiming it has the right to go through your private data to 'investigate.'

Better watch out if you are playing Xbox, get ticked, and cuss. Microsoft might ban you for the “offensive language.” If they do, then say bye-bye to your Xbox Gold Membership and any Microsoft account balances.

Or if you and a significant other are getting hot and heavy via Skype, you better watch your language and any nudity because that, too, can get you banned. The ban hammer could also fall if Cortana is listening at the wrong moment or if documents and files hosted on Microsoft services violate Microsoft’s amended terms.

The changes are part of the new Microsoft Terms of Services agreement that go into effect on May 1 and cover a plethora of Microsoft services.

Was that "take it to the cloud" or in the cloud?
desultory
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Comcast is leaking the names and passwords of customers’ wireless routers

Comcast has just been caught in a major security snafu: revealing the passwords of its customers’ Xfinity-provided wireless routers in plaintext on the web. Anyone with a subscriber’s account number and street address number will be served up the Wi-Fi name and password via the company’s Xfinity internet activation service.
The problem is threefold:
  1. You can “activate” an account that’s already active
  2. The data required to do so is minimal and it is not verified via text or email
  3. The wireless name and password are sent on the web in plaintext

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/21/comcast-is-leaking-the-names-and-passwords-of-customers-wireless-routers/
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inventor says Google is patenting work he put in the public domain
Quote:
Google denies that it's trying to patent Duda's work. A Google spokesperson told Ars that Duda came up with a theoretical concept that isn't directly patentable, while Google's lawyers are seeking to patent a specific application of that theory that reflects additional work by Google's engineers.

But Duda says he suggested the exact technique Google is trying to patent in a 2014 email exchange with Google engineers—a view largely endorsed by a preliminary ruling in February by European patent authorities.

The European case isn't over, though, and Google is also seeking a patent in the United States.

patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benelovence of the unjust just got sued : Southern Poverty Law Center
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube Blocks Blender Videos Worldwide

Yes, the software Blender. But blocking isn't the worst of it... Youtube tried to force them to allow ads.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
YouTube Blocks Blender Videos Worldwide

Yes, the software Blender. But blocking isn't the worst of it... Youtube tried to force them to allow ads.

Damn it!

This is thus far the most compelling evidence that Google is finally going evil. I knew it would happen I just never looked forward to the day! I've seen many false alarms in the past. This doesn't seem to be one of them.

I'm not shooting the messenger though. Thank you for the link!

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
Damn it!

This is thus far the most compelling evidence that Google is finally going evil. I knew it would happen I just never looked forward to the day! I've seen many false alarms in the past. This doesn't seem to be one of them.
:lol:

I actually think it's on the low end of "evil." I just don't care for how they went about it. It costs money to deliver the content, so it seems reasonable that a channel can grow to become too much of a cost. They could have contacted certain "tiers" of usage and informed them of what was going on and offering the ad option, and maybe alternatives. Throttling, etc. But blocking / limiting the content without warning and then making the "customer" work to get an answer which comes across as a legal threat is the part I consider evil.

In some sense, I'm glad they're doing it. I hope people at least diversify their reliance on "free" services.

I came across something called peer tube. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet.
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I came across something called peer tube. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet.

Why do we all have to use tubes? YouTube, MeTube, SewageTube? It's all the same to me. When I hear tube, I think of the shitty tube amps that introduce distortion but that's okay and actually wanted because "you don't understand what's good" say the near-deaf 70-something year olds that have 50 layers of nostalgia goggles on and just came back from a snake-oil shop where they bought literal snake cables, high end power cables, other electricity magickarydoohickers audiophile-grade SATA cables and magic sonic crystals (Yes, that one's a joke but honestly, would you be able to tell if I didn't say so? Plently of people who bought weren't.) for $700 000 in total.
I just want to enjoy my music in silence and then go play some music myself. I just hope my Sabians won't blow my eardrums before I make it through the SewageTube.

EDIT: Oh and I forgot the cable risers. More laffs. Now that I think of it, lolcorp is kind of fitting but not quite... Can we have a lolconsum thread?
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
[
Damn it!

I don't want to sound like a besser weisser buuuut...when I heard their motto was

'Don't do evil, do good'

I just felt a bad feeling shivering down my spine. This won't end well. It's too good to be true-
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. As much as I have loved Google, and I really have, I've always known (history baby) that eventually they would turn evil. I'm not sure the metamorphosis is complete but it does seem to have begun.

pjp wrote:
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Spectre news. Now Chrome browsers will eat more RAM from a new isolation feature.

pjp wrote:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: