View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

Are we having it in the USA? Commies are tearing down statues. What's next, burning books? I have a better task for them, go and destroy Egyptian Pyramids, those were built by slaves. Common sense tells history cannot be changed, why commies always try to falsify the history?

Political Correctness is all about replacing imaginary injustice with real injustice.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems someone drank the kool-aid.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this answers my question. Communists did it in Russia, in China, and in some other places and nobody cared until it was too late. Every nation deserves what is coming to them, I guess.

Political Correctness is all about replacing imaginary injustice with real injustice.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they'll need to tear down the Supreme Court. It has an image of Muhammad carved into it, and he was a slave owner.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you worry, they will get there, just let them grow a bit.

Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America is defenseless against communism. Communism/fascism/totalitarianism is evil, it should be outlawed.
For example, what steps were taken when American Universities started suppressing free speech? This is denying constitutional rights. The answer is - nothing. Those who are elected and paid to protect the law and rights of people did nothing.

You will see more of it coming:

Quote:
Piper said America needs to brace for more campus unrest.

“Oh, it’s going to be a mess,” Piper told WND and Radio America. “You will see protests. You will see riots. You will see the results of teaching victimization and vice for decades. When you teach victimization, you don’t get anything but vengeance and violence.

“The only thing that rescues us from this vicious cycle is to start teaching virtue. Virtue is selfless. Victimization is selfish.”

He fears many Americans still don’t see how dangerous this campus intolerance and groupthink really is.

Linky.

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, every publicly funded university that's engaging in this regressive bullshit should be defunded.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Related

++

No wonder the hard left seems to adore Islam.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one needs to come down

Kindness Evokes Kindness

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the title, this seems like the best thread.

And to paraphrase Dr. Peterson, yes, I know this isn't Canada, but it is relevant.

The first two parts, each about 2 minutes help set up for why I'm posting the third. The third part is a question, which is amplified by the first two parts.

First, on students reluctant to participate. The relevant part starts as linked and goes until 35m 17s.
Part 1

The first part is from a different talk than the second and third parts, both of which are from the same talk (it's worth listening to in its entirety, but it is abit long).

Second, is the part of the talk being referenced by the question in the part 3. Peterson talks about feedback in communication. It continues until 18m 48s, at which point you can skip to the third part.
Part 2

Third, the question. Note her country of origin.
Part 3
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Are we having it in the USA? Commies are tearing down statues. What's next, burning books? I have a better task for them, go and destroy Egyptian Pyramids, those were built by slaves. Common sense tells history cannot be changed, why commies always try to falsify the history?

the statues are relics of the jim crow era, rather than direct celebrations of the civil war.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Jaglover wrote:

the statues are relics of the jim crow era, rather than direct celebrations of the civil war.

Larry Elder wrote:
Replace statues with a plaque: "Dems founded KKK, opposed 13th/14th/15th Amdts, a greater % of GOP voted for Civil Rts Act of '64 than dems"

Kindness Evokes Kindness

sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:

Where are the statues to celebrate the emancipation of the slaves? If you want your civic spaces to have statues that reflect history, then why were they trying to falsify history by putting up the confederate statues in the first place?

Quote:
I'm a black Southerner. I had to go abroad to see a statue celebrating black liberation.
Why aren’t there more statues memorializing slaves?

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/8/16/16156540/confederate-statues-charlottesville-virginia
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:

You know where pulling down statues and the like is the most popular? Who likes to do it most? Fucking middle-eastern fanatics like the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

And it's a tradition that goes waaaaay back. All the way back to the rapacious, destructive, asshole Assyrians. They did it to the Babylonians. The Egyptians did it to themselves, as did the Libyans. The Hebrews did it to the Caananites and Philistines. The Babylonians, Akkadians and Assyrians did it to the Hebrews. The Hittites did it to the Akkadians. The Persians did it to the Assyrians. The Neoassayrians did it to the Persians. Even the fucking Byzantines (the iconoclasts) did it everywhere they could -- kicked in people's doors and cut up their faces for having little statues and pictures and shit.

What did they all have in common? They were brutally authoritarian and they were fanatics. Also, they were ignorant (backward idolaters who believe spirits inhabit inanimate objects -- these are the morons who become the iconoclasts). They believed in controlling people's minds by denying them information, right down to certain images and words. Forbidden Knowledge! The eradication of the historical truth! To what end? To control their very thinking! This is fact, my friends. Fact.

Now, that was thousands of years ago, and that was considered brutally uncivilized and ignorantly savage even then. They only people doing that kind of shit today (the Taliban and Al Qaeda) are almost universally shit upon as the worst examples of humanity to exist since primitive times. What primitive thinking is at its heart? Belief in the worship and inherent power of objects -- writing off, as though they don't exist, free will, human intellect, human rationality, and human decency. The presumption that all men are, at heart, evil beings who must be not only controlled but who must be FORBIDDEN certain knowledge. The believe that fact and truth are not the basis of reality, but only beliefs, and that beliefs should be manipulated and controlled by bald-faced lies ostensibly told "for the greater good" (the very words justifying all the greatest crimes against humanity).

These people are not merely ignorant; they are primitive and uncivilized in a way that hearkens back to savagery we left behind thousands of years ago. And what kind of Orwellian bullshit is used to justify this iconoclastic malevolence? "Progress!"

Progress, my ass!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to blow up mt Rushmore, G.Washinton was a slave owner and a harsh one at that

Last edited by Naib on Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Jaglover wrote:

Where are the statues to celebrate the emancipation of the slaves? If you want your civic spaces to have statues that reflect history, then why were they trying to falsify history by putting up the confederate statues in the first place?

Quote:
I'm a black Southerner. I had to go abroad to see a statue celebrating black liberation.

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2017/8/16/16156540/confederate-statues-charlottesville-virginia

Then and Now

First Draft wrote:
he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, & murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

The reality is that slavery and slaving has a complicated past and present.

If we're on about destroying monuments to slavers, maybe we should look to the ones in Europe and Africa, from where this blight was spread to the New World.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:
sugar wrote:
Jaglover wrote:

Quote:

Then and Now

First Draft wrote:
he has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating it's most sacred rights of life & liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere, or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither. this piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the CHRISTIAN king of Great Britain. determined to keep open a market where MEN should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or to restrain this execrable commerce: and that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, & murdering the people upon whom he also obtruded them; thus paying off former crimes committed against the liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

If we're on about destroying monuments to slavers, maybe we should look to the ones in Europe and Africa, from where this blight was spread to the New World.
exactly, let's start with the pyramids.

Or we could all stop being little pussies and wanting to tear such things down and you know... Go through proper channels and get some newer monuments errected, maybe replacing some of the others...

Or you know ... These bottom feeders could do something with their lives to warrant a monument in their name. This mindset had some halfwits advocating tearing down Nelsons column, battle of Trafalgar admiral...

This cultural destruction is no different from what ISIS is doing
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
America is defenseless against communism. Communism/fascism/totalitarianism is evil, it should be outlawed.
For example, what steps were taken when American Universities started suppressing free speech? This is denying constitutional rights. The answer is - nothing. Those who are elected and paid to protect the law and rights of people did nothing.

I am afraid for these things, though I do my best not to worry. People in general are good. It is unfortunate that so many people seem to treat science and political discourse as a religion. I have many European friends who mock me when I question their beliefs instead of explaining themselves, and I am sad that this seems to happen in America as well, but it seems to a lesser extent. Eventually the truth will win out.

Psalm 37:7 wrote:
Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

flysideways wrote:

that's up to those cultures to determine if these symbols resonate with their values. In the same way that your culture is trying to determine what value confederate monuments have.

#culturalrelativism
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

Or we could all stop being little pussies and wanting to tear such things down and you know... Go through proper channels and get some newer monuments errected, maybe replacing some of the others...

Or you know ... These bottom feeders could do something with their lives to warrant a monument in their name. This mindset had some halfwits advocating tearing down Nelsons column, battle of Trafalgar admiral...

And the Ukraine is removing all statues of Lenin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/lenin-statues-removed-soviet-union-russia-crimea-ukraine-bolshevik-communist-petro-poroshenko-a7903611.html

It's up to the current culture to decide on the symbols that represent them.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Naib wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/lenin-statues-removed-soviet-union-russia-crimea-ukraine-bolshevik-communist-petro-poroshenko-a7903611.html

that is true. What is also true is a violent minority does not have the right to make the decision for the majority
sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Cultural Revolution Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
sugar wrote:
Naib wrote:

that is true. What is also true is a violent minority does not have the right to make the decision for the majority

it's almost as if there's some kind of explanation that provides an understanding about social conflict that would be really useful right about now.

Fortunately for you, I found a really nice article that talks about Richmond, VA, which is a majority African-American city that is struggling to decide what to do with it's confederate monuments.

Quote:
Keep Confederate statues, but tell the other side of the story? Richmond tries — with mixed results.

“You can’t put up a statue of Anne Frank next to one of Adolf Hitler and say now you’ve solved the problem, now you’re telling the full story,” said Phil Wilayto, another Richmond resident who is working with Edwards to memorialize the city’s former role in the slave trade. “No, what you’re doing is saying you honor Anne Frank and Adolf Hitler. You’re historically schizoid.”

Walter Dotts, a preservationist who grew up on Monument Avenue, said over the past few years he had arrived at the view that it may not be possible to put the statues in enough context to explain their “insidious” original intent — to prolong white rule long after the Civil War by enforcing oppressive Jim Crow laws against the black population. He originally thought keeping the statues could provide a “teachable moment” about the past.

“I’m wondering whether now it wouldn’t be better just to take them down and put them in some other venue, I’m not sure what that would be,” Dotts said.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to destroy or deface historical monuments. That's how you end up with no history at all, like negroes. Or, you end up with things like the Sphinx, with its ridiculously tiny head that's had plastic surgery way too many times.

What they need to do is not tear down the Robert E. Lee statue, but build a 10x larger Biggie Smalls statue, squatting to take a dump on its head.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile madness is getting worse and worse. Did I say burning books is next?

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: