View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: nouveau and urxvt scrolling [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm actually adding a SOLVED post here for others future reference. I had tried several times in the past to replace nvidia-drivers with nouveau on this machine, especially because it has a GeForce 6200 card which is limited to the 304.xx drivers. I'm beyond sick and tired of patching drivers and waiting for nvidia to catch up to the latest kernels. No doubt at some point they'll just plain stop supporting that version altogether. The 4.12 kernel finally pushed me over the edge. Never mind that it was the second time I accidentally tried patches for the wrong version, because two of their legacy drivers happen to be 304.xxx and 340.xxx...don't get me started.

One big issue that held me up on this was that scrolling in urxvt (x11-terms/rxvt-unicode) terminals was so painfully slow (literally watching each line paint simply by hitting enter in a full screen) as to be unusable. This time I finally discovered that this was purely when using a transparent terminal...that is:
Code:
grep trans .Xdefaults
URxvt*transparent:true

With that disabled all if great. Hope this helps someone.

Tom
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also give x11-terms/st a try - it works fast enough for me (with transparency and freetype fonts).
Code:
 ~ $ time find /proc 2> /dev/null
[...]
real    0m0.692s
user    0m0.394s
sys     0m0.318s

~ $ echo $(( $(find /proc 2> /dev/null | wc -l) / 692 * 1000 ))

This is on an ancient AMD card, but I don't think nouveau will be much different.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...checking that out now. Looks right up my alley for sure! Thanks! A few quick questions if you don't mind ;):

1. As I understand it, having scrolling with Shift-PageUp etc or mouse scrolling requires patches?

2. The patches supplied by st require using st-9999?

3. Assuming that's the case, I notice that the st-0.7.ebuild appears to have eapply_user but st-9999.ebuild doesn't. Would the patches need to be done in a local overlay?

EDIT: Ahh...I see that they do have patches for versions such as st-0.7. Never mind.
UPDATE: Needed to use the st-9999 version after all. The scrollback patch they had for 0.7 applied but wouldn't compile for some reason.

Still working through the config quite a bit...a lot to grasp there.

Thanks!
Tom
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes you need to toggle USE=savedconfig off while adding new user patches because portage doesn't know how to do a 3-way merge with savedconfig and eapply_user. It's a bit of a weird system but you get used to it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: