MythTV upgrade woes to 0.28.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: MythTV upgrade woes to 0.28.1 Reply with quote

I had been running 0.27.6_p20160318-r1 and just upgraded to 0.28.1-r1 and things are completely messed up.

It first gave a warning to run mythbackend or mythtv-setup to upgrade, which it did do a bunch of stuff and apparently successfully finish.
Then later mythfrontend had a bunch of stuff done.

However now I see a bunch of issues:

1. my recording rules disappeared. System status still says they're there but browsing them through the "Manage Recordings" option show nothing and nothing seems to get recorded (but it looks like the mysql table 'record' still has everything there?

2. When deleting recordings, the listing deletes but no disk space is reclaimed...

3. Switching channels when watching livetv takes forever and once I got a timeout waiting for a video buffer?

Anyone run across these issues?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been long time since I had to repair MythTV database, but if you dig there is a script which is supposed to fix the database. If you had database backups enabled (smart thing, I keep five) then just restore and run the backend again, it probably updates the database at first run.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I have seen corrupted databases before (mysql issues) but not sure about higher level corruption.

Another oddity I found - I can add new recording rules but they don't show up on the frontend. I typed in sql commands directly to the database backend and see that they are entered (though I might have did something bad and removed the one I added with mythfrontend directly via sql commands.)

Also the autoexpire list is not showing up in mythfrontend - however if I run

mythbackend --printexpire

this does show the list of recordings I expect it to delete (including the ones I manually selected for deletion) ...but it doesn't delete...

Not only this: mythweb is showing proper information: I see the proper recording rules...
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HORRIBLE.

Just Horrible.

I just saw a posting by a dev on the bug reports indicating to ... not specify 127.0.0.1 as the local backend server address in mythtv-setup. And likewise don't specify 127.0.0.1 as the master backend. But I still don't understand why if it's my only backend (and frontend machine).

I changed 127.0.0.1 to my ethernet's IP address and things started working again. Go figure. There are some howtos that specify 127.0.0.1 as a valid address; and same issue as I had on distccd - I really hope that I don't need to do similar with ipv6.

I don't understand why things fixed but it seems to work now, probably better than 0.27 after some cleanup. It started purging expired files to get it back down from 100% full, and once that brought the disk under 100% liveTV started working again.

I'd welcome anyone to give an explanation why this fixed the problem, perhaps the code just doesn't like localhost?
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have the mythtv and mythplugins ebuilds around for 0.27.6_p20160318-r1 ?

A new zlib recently came out, which is triggering a bunch of rebuilds, including mythtv and mythplugins. Since 0.27.6_p20160318-r1 is no longer in the tree, it's telling me to upgrade. Here and in other places, the 0.28 upgrade looks a bit messy. There is q;uite a bit going on in the real world right now, so I'd rather not take on a messy upgrade at the moment. It would be perfectly fine to rebuild 0.27.6_p20160318-r1 - I don't believe anything forces the upgrade other than its removal from portage.

I've looked in the attic, and that version is not there yet, just older stuff. Otherwise I'd snag the ebuilds and stick them in my local portage overlay.

Does anyone have the 0.27.6_p20160318-r1 ebuilds, or can point me to them, if they're not in the attic?

Or as long as I don't point my mythbackend to localhost (I don't) will this upgrade go effortlessly?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably could just mask all versions but your current version, and it won't try to upgrade, but if you're trying to make sure revdep-rebuild is clean, you probably can swipe the old version of the ebuild from your portage database at /var/db/pkg/media-tv/mythtv-0.27.6_p20160318-r1/mythtv-0.27.6_p20160318-r1.ebuild .

In any case after the frustration, I found that the update to 0.28.1-r1 was worth it, the new version seems quite a bit more stable than 0.27 at least on my box. It seems to deal with my ATSC tuners a bit better, and seems to be a bit more stable with corrupt mpeg streams. I do have to warn that I am running on a fairly unstable box, I've already ended up having to "solder gun" repair the motherboard and its power supply each twice, so my experiences may not be typical. In fact I upgraded to 0.28.1 because mythtv on the machine was disproportionally unstable since it's a very consistent gcc builder. I don't get random segfaults when running CPU/memory intensive applications, but the GUI/GPU constantly crashes.

My aging frontend/backend box:
Hauppauge PCIex1 ATSC tuner in x1 slot
AverMedia PCIex1 ATSC tuner in x16 slot
Core2 Duo 6700 on Foxconn G965 onboard graphics motherboard (This motherboard is NOT recommended. Had so many problems with "consumables" on this board.)
2TB SATA WD Green HDD with head unloading disabled
4GB RAM
Low profile "HTPC" micro ATX case.

The upgrade did try to automatically upgrade the databases which was not typical of previous updates - an expected step for any upgrade, so this was welcome.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointer into /var/db... I've never used that before, whenever I've tried this stunt the attic has had what I needed.

I like to keep portage happy, whenever possible. Maybe in a few more weeks I'll have time to upgrade. I haven't been having problems with 0.27, so I'm in no hurry. That said, I also don't like to get too far behind, just not for the next few weeks. I've also got one backend and multiple frontends, so it's a buildfest when the time comes.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're kidding yourself, portage is never happy :)

Speaking of multiple frontends, this too has been problematic. Last time I tried using a second frontend with no backend, it messed up the frontend of the main machine (that hosts the backend), seemed like it changed the default channel to an illegal one which confused other frontends.

I haven't tried this with 0.28 yet so maybe this was one of the issues fixed, I hope...
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...I'm sort of surprised by all this. I upgraded from 0.27 to 0.28 last year with no issues at all:
Code:
[ebuild     U #] media-tv/mythtv-0.28:0/0.28::x-portage [0.27.6_p20160318:0/0.27.6_p20160318::x-portage] USE="alsa dvd hls lirc perl python theora vdpau vorbis xml xvid (-altivec) -autostart -avahi -bluray -cec -crystalhd -debug -dvb -egl -fftw -ieee1394 -jack -lcd -libass -mythlogserver% -pulseaudio -systemd% -vaapi -wrapper -xmltv" INPUT_DEVICES="-joystick" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 101,919 KiB

...then recently to 0.28.1:
Code:
[ebuild     U ~] media-tv/mythtv-0.28.1-r1:0/0.28.1::x-portage [0.28:0/0.28::x-portage] USE="alsa dvd hls libass lirc perl python theora vdpau vorbis xml xvid (-altivec) -autostart -bluray -cec -crystalhd -debug -dvb -egl -fftw -ieee1394 -jack -lcd -mythlogserver -pulseaudio -systemd -vaapi -wrapper -xmltv -zeroconf% (-avahi%)" INPUT_DEVICES="-joystick" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 0 KiB

Note that I've been running versions of both of them out of my local overlay, simply to eliminate the need for udisks2 and bdus/QtDbus:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=580856

eccerr0r: That stuff like missing recording rules really sounds like a failed database schema update. Are you sure that finished correctly? While I'm not sure this guarantees that it finished correctly, the schema in the mythconverg database should be 1344 for 0.28 or 0.28.1:
Code:
mysql> select * from settings where value='DBSchemaVer';
--------------
select * from settings where value='DBSchemaVer'
--------------

+-------------+------+----------+
| value       | data | hostname |
| DBSchemaVer | 1344 | NULL     |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Really odd. Like I said, my updates were flawless. I use mythtv-setup on the backend before starting the backend when I need to update the database and tee the output to a file just in case:
Code:
mythtv-setup --geometry 640x480 | tee update.log
EDIT: Obviously I didn't finish reading that you're OK now.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side note: I have to agree that the 0.28.1 upgrade is well worth it. I noticed several fixes / improvements. For one thing it has the audio support for a lot videos downloaded via youtube-dl that didn't work before. Also, issues I used to run into when inadvertently trying to jump past the end of a video (where it would hang on the "Searching" message for a long time) now work great. There were a lot of other things I can't think of at the moment.

Tom
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed my local portage overlay, so I can delay upgrading for a few weeks. It's happily on 7 of 48 packages, simply staying at the old MythTV and getting some updates that have been deferred because of that upgrade. (zlib in particular is forcing a lot of rebuilds.)
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld: Are you using 127.0.0.1 as your "master backend" server for your master backend mythtv-setup, or are you using the network IP address of your machine?

I should have marked this "Solved" but I didn't because what I did to fix it ... does not make any sense to me!!!

Anyway it looks like my database is up to date, I didn't have to do anything? The auto-update seems to have worked but the backend was having all sorts of issues until I used the network IP address instead of localhost.
Code:
mysql> use mythconverg;
Reading table information for completion of table and column names
You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A

Database changed
mysql> select * from settings where value='DBSchemaVer';
| value       | data | hostname |
| DBSchemaVer | 1344 | NULL     |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

Incidentally, my setup should have been virtually completely default setup... it's even using systemd, polkit, dbus, and the whole 9 yards, yet it still failed with 'localhost'. I suspect in the long run it might be best to specify network IP addresses so that it's consistent among other frontends or backends I may set up.

BTW, anyone using manual tuning (as with an external cable or satellite box) or perhaps even using a VCR with mythtv?
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding zlib (and bzip2, which has the same problem, for the same reason, though nobody mentioned it here), that's a completely spurious rebuild caused by Soap gratuitously changing the subslot on both packages even though the generated files did not change. You can ignore that rebuild without breaking anything (other than fighting Portage to suppress it). If you're feeling brave and want to do something unsupported (in another thread I called it a complete hack, and no one disputed it ;)), you could modify the Portage package database to tell it the installed package is already on the right subslot (without actually rebuilding anything). I did this on one of my slower machines to avoid some big and unnecessary rebuilds.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
tld: Are you using 127.0.0.1 as your "master backend" server for your master backend mythtv-setup, or are you using the network IP address of your machine?

I should have marked this "Solved" but I didn't because what I did to fix it ... does not make any sense to me!!!
I agree that sounds like an odd thing to have to do. I have a standalone backend (not serving as a frontend at all) and one separate frontend, and the backend is setup with the machine's 192.168.1.xxx address everywhere I can find.

eccerr0r wrote:
Anyway it looks like my database is up to date, I didn't have to do anything?

The database schema will update if needed either when you run mythtv-setup or when you start the backend (the former is recommended). I'm sure yours completed. Whatever program was performing that should have just quit if the update failed as far as I know.

Tom
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall whether the dedicated backend required mythtv-setup as well (seems kind of wrong that it would require a GUI to setup; did you edit it directly in the mysql database or was there some tool to do this) but you have your single backend's master correctly set as itself at the LAN address, versus setting it as localhost. I suppose that is exactly why your setup upgraded without a hitch and mine exploded despite it making no sense why it wouldn't work.

I hope this stays working in future upgrades...

Oh btw, I got my other frontend working sharing the backend of the first machine after finishing the disk cleanup. The remote frontend works a lot better now on 0.28.1-r1, then again it may also be due to the localhost issue. I also saw in the mythtv-setup description hints as I tabbed through each setting that it now warns you against putting 127.0.0.1 for some fields... so perhaps that's it, that was the sole issue.

I do have to mention the remote frontend is a P4-3.4GHz amd64 with ATI Radeon 9250 graphics. It has trouble keeping up X11 and decoding the data from the backend. It skips once in a while and pegs the CPU (dual thread CPU) at 100%. HDTV recordings (1080i) seems to take up to about 1.5MB/sec through Ethernet.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: