PHP/CodeIgniter debugger
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: PHP/CodeIgniter debugger Reply with quote

Hi.

I am not much into web applications, I was wondering how do you, people, debug PHP stuff in Linux. Is there anything similar to traditional debuggers (such as GDB or the debug functions you can find in most IDEs such as qtcreator) but for PHP/JS stuff?

I am looking for applications that'll fill the niche, but tutorials or howtos will also come in handy.

I truly have no idea, so, please, assume I am an inteligent as a cactus when answering :P

Thanks for any suggestion you can lend me. :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use xdebug back in the mid-2000s. IIRC it had a remote debugger protocol that worked in vim, so there may be plugins for other IDEs.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's what I found. I just wanted to check whether there's something more actual.

Some kind of IDE or something like that with an integrated debug feature.

I can find my way around with vim. It used to be my editor of choice in my college years.

Thank you for your help.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: PHP/CodeIgniter debugger Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
I am not much into web applications, I was wondering how do you, people, debug PHP stuff in Linux. Is there anything similar to traditional debuggers (such as GDB or the debug functions you can find in most IDEs such as qtcreator) but for PHP/JS stuff?

I am looking for applications that'll fill the niche, but tutorials or howtos will also come in handy.

I truly have no idea, so, please, assume I am an inteligent as a cactus when answering :P
heh, on that basis, I'd just pull back a little, and state that when I coded PHP a lot, back in the early noughties like Ant. P, a clean KDE desktop with kwrite and konqui, was well-known as the best "IDE".
Your local webserver is running the development site with a local db, so round-trip isn't an issue, and you have the (html + js) output right in front of you. You're testing the site like a bored user, as your mind is more on the code than the mouse.
Didn't really need any sort of debugger in that situation, personally. (though ofc the standard debug output pattern always applies.)

If you're stuck on windoze, say in the office, "programmer's notepad" (pnotepad iirc) and WinSCP (putty, that comes with it, over ssh) are the best combi for working on a remote server.
For Linux, it used to be kioslaves "fish://" in the konqui address bar.. damn, it's a shame how KDE was hobbled by externals.

I'd take a look at geany if you prefer gtk; it's a nice editor. (Sorry, you're a vim user; my bad.)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not much into vim, nowadays. It was just the tool I had at hand at my college, so I was bound to use it.

Today, I do most of my editing in bluefish or whatever editor with syntax highlight I have at hand. I am only considering vim because of the xdebug plugin I found yesterday.

I am not much into modern web applications. I did my good lot of html and css in my days, and also used php quite a bit, but by that time things were much simpler and we hadn't stuff like codeigniter and all those heavy frameworks in the middle. I can't see what's happening behind the scenes that easily, that this point. Or maybe it's just that I am not looking at the right place.

Time is something I can rarely spare these days, that's another reason for being in search of a shortcut :)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I used to use kate a lot in the past. I also was a big fan of kioslaves. For some reason I can't really get the hang of the new desktop paradigms. Maybe it's just the dinosaur in me.

I migrated from kate to bluefish just because I find the autocompletion it does more to my liking. But that might very well have changed in these few years. Haven't tested since early 4.x releases, probably.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
I am not much into modern web applications. I did my good lot of html and css in my days, and also used php quite a bit, but by that time things were much simpler and we hadn't stuff like codeigniter and all those heavy frameworks in the middle. I can't see what's happening behind the scenes that easily, that this point. Or maybe it's just that I am not looking at the right place.
Yeah. There is a lot of kludge, with layer upon layer wrapping for convenience, and obfuscating what's happening.
Should not be necessary with html5, really.
i92guboj wrote:
By the way, I used to use kate a lot in the past. I also was a big fan of kioslaves. For some reason I can't really get the hang of the new desktop paradigms. Maybe it's just the dinosaur in me.
I know how you feel. Though I go a bit further, and decry any idiot trying to modify the desktop metaphor, since the whole point of the metaphor in HCI or design terms, is that it's a fixed frame of reference.
Don't change it: come up with a different metaphor altogether. Perhaps incrementally, like "phone"; just don't try to mix metaphors, or you get the idiot-school we see so much of these days.
Quote:
I migrated from kate to bluefish just because I find the autocompletion it does more to my liking. But that might very well have changed in these few years. Haven't tested since early 4.x releases, probably.
Yeah, I love kate. More recently I've got back into command-line editing, in nano no less. I experimented a couple of years ago, and found that I write code much more concisely, with much less extraneous commentary (that I'd only end up deleting later, anyhow.)
Hardly surprising, but it does lead to cleaner code. The awkwardness of the interface brings back the old days, and forces me to think before I start hacking; and "thinking is 70% of the game."

tmux and virtual consoles mean running in terminal is flexible enough.

OFC, I'm not working on webapps, where a desktop would be required.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: