Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[split] steveL & mv 2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: [split] steveL & mv 2 Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Please, stop disparaging people

The gentoo forum trolls have arrived and start their usual ad-hominem attacks. This finishes the discussion, at least for me.

EDIT: split from /usr/lib/modules-load.d systemd affecting openrc [solved] --pjp
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Please, stop disparaging people who disagree with you, using arguments you have made up and assigned to them.
mv wrote:
The gentoo forum trolls have arrived and start their usual ad-hominem attacks.

How dare you? You have just made a blatant ad-hominem attack, then accused me of the same, all in one breath.
Note well that I was describing a behaviour, not the person, which you are clearly disparaging here.

I am perfectly willing to back that description of your behaviour up: twice in one post, you attributed ludicrous notions to krinn.
Firstly that he must not want an /etc or /var, equating whatever you were on about as the new "standard" with those locations.

Secondly, that /etc/modules/autoload.d "is a standard location" then assigning to him the made-up, specious position of wanting a system that does have the concept of hostname. (Along the way you somehow decided that udev is another "standard".)

This is what you did. That is simple fact. You assigned to him, "strawmen" positions that you then used disparagingly, as if he were a fool (and ofc you the wise "developer" by contrast.)
Quote:
This finishes the discussion, at least for me.
You are clearly unable to distinguish technical and social criticism from personal, so no argument there.
I am sorry you have so little self-insight.

The only silver-lining is that you have shown your true colours, by which I mean the awful lack of manners.
Secondly, you are clearly not the technical genius you make out (with all the talk of being a "developer" who knows better than sysadmins), by any means: if you were, you'd be used to making mistakes, taking them back, and apologising.
You'd have had the self-insight not to presume correctness, and ask yourself what I meant, when I said what I said (as explained again above, for the hard-of-thinking), and reviewed your own posts to see if there were any grain of truth that might help you to improve.

Just like an academic, to think "winning" the argument matters more than the result.

(No, that's not an "ad-hominem", either. Again, it's about a specific discussion, and the content thereof.)
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, one reply:
steveL wrote:
How dare you?

In case you really do not see: Your entering of the discussion consisted once again of lies and insults. And you continue this way.
Quote:
you attributed ludicrous notions to krinn

In contrast to your claim, I had not commented any person. I had commented a debatable advice, showing that it corresponds to (and has exactly the problems of) a radical viewpoint I had just described before. This context is important, of course.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
In case you really do not see: Your entering of the discussion consisted once again of lies and insults. And you continue this way.
You really are incredibly thin-skinned.
Please be precise, and specify exactly where I "lied", and exactly where I "insulted".

It shouldn't be hard if you are speaking truthfully.

Note ofc the "once again"; you are insulting me on an ongoing basis.
Quote:
In contrast to your claim, I had not commented any person.
Labelling someone a "forum troll" is commenting on the person.
That you did so just because they ask you to stop putting up strawmen, shows there is something else going on here; something personal.
Quote:
I had commented a debatable advice, showing that it corresponds to (and has exactly the problems of) a radical viewpoint I had just described before. This context is important, of course.
You attributed those notions to the person disagreeing with you, then acted as if they were pushing for such stupid notions, to which you were "kindly" advising that they patch the software. (a notoriously favoured tactic of systemdbust.)

In the same way, you attribute insults to me, simply for picking you up on the above.

Pleasant, it is not. Nor does it have a grain of community spirit, imo.

Since you've been reported, perhaps you could take up the rest of your "defence" there.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: