View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Applying patches to x11-terms/st [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I'm having only marginal success trying to apply patches supplied by upstream to x11-terms/st. Specifically I'm trying to add both keyboard and mouse scrolling from these:

http://st.suckless.org/patches/scrollback/

Note that the do in fact have a version 0.7 patch for the keyboard scrolling. I tried adding that to my /etc/portage/patches and it compiled but failed:
Code:
>>> Preparing source in /disk2/var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-0.7/work/st-0.7 ...
 * Applying patches from /etc/portage/patches/x11-terms/st-0.7 ...
 *   st-scrollback-0.7.diff ...                                                                                                                [ ok ]
 * User patches applied.
 * Checking existence of //etc/portage/savedconfig//x11-terms/st-0.7 ...
 * found //etc/portage/savedconfig//x11-terms/st-0.7
 * Building using saved configfile //etc/portage/savedconfig//x11-terms/st-0.7
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /disk2/var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-0.7/work/st-0.7 ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /disk2/var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-0.7/work/st-0.7 ...
make -j2
st build options:
CC st.c
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -c -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-stack-protector -g -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wvariadic-macros -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/X11 `pkg-config --cflags fontconfig` `pkg-config --cflags freetype2` -DVERSION=\"0.7\" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 st.c
CFLAGS   = -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-stack-protector -g -std=c99 -pedantic -Wall -Wvariadic-macros -I. -I/usr/include -I/usr/include/X11 -I/usr/include/freetype2  -I/usr/include/freetype2  -DVERSION="0.7" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600
LDFLAGS  = -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -g -L/usr/lib -lc -L/usr/lib/X11 -lm -lrt -lX11 -lutil -lXft -lfontconfig -lfreetype  -lfreetype
CC       = i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
st.c:333:12: error: ‘histsize’ undeclared here (not in a function)
  Line hist[histsize]; /* history buffer */
            ^
st.c: In function ‘selsnap’:
st.c:796:18: warning: variable ‘xt’ set but not used [-Wunused-but-set-variable]
  int newx, newy, xt, yt;
                  ^
st.c: At top level:
st.c:1724:1: warning: ‘kscrollup’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
 kscrollup(const Arg* a)

Then I unmasked the st-9999 version, and was able to apply the current keyboard patch (st-scrollback-20170329-149c0d3.diff), and that worked fine. However when I tried to add the mouse patch (st-scrollback-mouse-20170427-5a10aca.diff), both applied, but again the compile failed:
Code:
>>> Preparing source in /disk2/var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-9999/work/st-9999 ...
 * Applying patches from /etc/portage/patches/x11-terms/st-9999 ...
 *   01-st-scrollback-20170329-149c0d3.diff ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
 *   02-st-scrollback-mouse-20170427-5a10aca.diff ...                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * User patches applied.
 * Checking existence of //etc/portage/savedconfig//x11-terms/st-9999 ...
 * found //etc/portage/savedconfig//x11-terms/st-9999
 * Building using saved configfile //etc/portage/savedconfig//x11-terms/st-9999
>>> Source prepared.
>>> Configuring source in /disk2/var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-9999/work/st-9999 ...
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /disk2/var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-9999/work/st-9999 ...
make -j2
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I/usr/include/X11  `pkg-config --cflags fontconfig`  `pkg-config --cflags freetype2` -DVERSION=\"0.7\" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-stack-protector -c st.c
st build options:
CFLAGS  = -I/usr/include/X11  -I/usr/include/freetype2   -I/usr/include/freetype2  -DVERSION="0.7" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-stack-protector
LDFLAGS = -L/usr/lib/X11 -lm -lrt -lX11 -lutil -lXft  -lfontconfig -lfreetype   -lfreetype  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed
CC      = i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -I/usr/include/X11  `pkg-config --cflags fontconfig`  `pkg-config --cflags freetype2` -DVERSION=\"0.7\" -D_XOPEN_SOURCE=600 -march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-stack-protector -c x.c
In file included from st.c:37:0:
st.h:10:25: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘MouseKey[] {aka struct <anonymous>[]}’
 #define LEN(a)   (sizeof(a) / sizeof(a)[0])
                         ^
st.c:240:19: note: in expansion of macro ‘LEN’
 size_t mkeyslen = LEN(mkeys);
                   ^
make: *** [Makefile:22: st.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

So getting closer. Anyone had success doing this?

Thanks!
Tom

Last edited by tld on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cd /usr/portage/x11-terms/st
ebuild st-9999.ebuild clean unpack
cd /var/tmp/portage/x11-terms/st-9999/work/st-9999
git log --oneline

Find the lines starting with 149c0d3 and 5a10aca

Modify st-9999.ebuild adding EGIT_COMMIT="5a10ca"
ebuild st-9999.ebuild manifest

Then try again
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, just tried
Code:
ebuild /usr/portage//x11-terms/st/st-9999.ebuild clean install

Result in https://paste.pound-python.org/show/QSmYMdG38Ji8VcUca2fE/, lines 14 to 19.
There should be no problem to emerge the 9999 version using those two patches. Without adding EGIT_COMMIT.

Edit:
I am having the patches in /etc/portage/patches/x11-terms/
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P had the answer in the thread where this first came up here. Many of the patches change the default config.h and having the savedconfig USE flag on when adding a patch can break things. What I had to do was this:

1. Make a copy of my customized /etc/portage/savedconfig/x11-terms/st-9999.
2. Disable the savedconfig USE flag.
3. Add the second patch under /etc/portage/patches and emerge st (which worked perfectly this time).
4. Enable the savedconfig USE flag and emerge again.
5. Port my config customizations to the new /etc/portage/savedconfig/x11-terms/st-9999 and emerge again.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks Ant P!

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: