Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Thunar does not show usb thumbdrives or external drives.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Thunar does not show usb thumbdrives or external drives. Reply with quote

I'm building an amd64 gentoo installation. Many small issues, but there is a biggie.

I installed xfce4 and thunar. They seemed to work. But when I put in a usb thumbdrive or external drive, nothing shows up under DEVICES.

-> My account is a member of cdrom cdrw usb wheel, etc.

-> I installed gvfs, xfce4-volman, but not gvfs-acl.

-> I rebooted.

-> The drives come and go from lsblk when plugged/unplugged.

-> I enabled volume management in thunar/advanced settings.

-> I ran startxfce4 from the root account with the same problem.

-> Thunar docs say the device will always show up as a DEVICE at the very least.

-> X is giving errors like: GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor warning dbus org.gtk.vfs.UDISK2VolumeMonitor is not supported.

-> There is surprisingly little coherent information about this scattered about. A lot of do this-do that advice, but nothing works for me.

Does anybody have any ideas here?

Thanks
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left out an important detail.

-> The same thing happens if thunar doesn't seem to be running. I'm talking about the drive icons on the desktop. I didn't think to check there before. I don't know if this makes it an xfce issue or a thunar issue.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment: If you're trying to avoid the usual seat mechanism and going for straight unixisms, these will not work properly (and the groups/chmods should not matter as they're deeply embedded in udisks if you want automounting). The default is to use udisks(and therefore dbus) to mount disks, coupled with consolekit (or systemd) and policykit.

Lots of questions beyond the above:

What is your make.profile linked to (and/or
$ emerge --info
)?

Are you using systemd/consolekit or not? If so, are you getting a session:

systemd (honestly, if you built with systemd, it should just "work" as if you have USE=systemd your login will automatically get updated for a session):
$ loginctl

or

consolekit:
$ ck-list-sessions

If you're not getting a session with consolekit you'll need to make sure you get one. Either use a display manager that supports consolekit or get a session before starting xfce -
$ startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

---

Also, make sure your drives do NOT show up in /etc/fstab. Udisks will not handle drives there.
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response. I want to read up on some of the things you mentioned before going any further. I'll get on it tomorrow.

-> I'm not running systemd. Just OpenRc.

-> My profile is amd64 desktop.

By the way, systemd is the best selling point for Gentoo. As in no systemd.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. mentioned "your drives" - but I meant "your removable drives" ...

Since you didn't mention what console session you were using and the fact that most DE's depend on it now, I had to ask, as it's necessary most of the times now for DE mounting (i.e. click to mount). The "old fashioned" way has gone by the wayside and just wanted to make sure you're not expecting it to work without at least consolekit/udisks/dbus - you're on your own there. As you're using the desktop profile, you should be using Consolekit and suspect that getting a session may be your problem if you're just startx'ing into your GUI. But it won't work if you have your removable media /dev/sdXXX in /etc/fstab as user mount or whatnot.

I have both xfce4 on systemd and openrc machines, they work fine, disks show up in Thunar and the desktop - but I am using a display manager (gdm for the systemd boxes, lightdm for the openrc boxes.
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sys-fs/udev installed, also sys-fs/eudev.

I have udisks, consolekit, and dbus installed.

Code:
$ ck-list-sessions
** Message: Failed to connect to the D-Bus daemon: Could not connect: No such file or directory

$ startxfce4 --with-ck-launch
-> It didn't work.

dmesg and /var/log/messages: say nothing about dbus.

Code:
$ ps aux | grep -i dbus
me        6168  0.0  0.0  33148   308 tty6     S    14:09   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session xfce4-session
me        6169  0.0  0.0  19700  2404 ?        Ss   14:09   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
me        6245  0.0  0.0  19464  2364 ?        S    14:09   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/usr/share/defaults/at-spi2/accessibility.conf --nofork --print-address 3

Code:
set | grep DBUS
DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-xR0OQTsc6C,guid=5cd5abb9c6b761e48adf1f6e59887489

/etc/fstab has no removables.

It looks as if dbus is running, but consolekit won't talk to it.

Any ideas? I don't know what to do.

Thanks.

Code:
emerge --info
Portage 2.3.6 (python 3.4.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop, gcc-5.4.0, glibc-2.23-r4, 4.9.34-gentoo_2017-08-04 x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.9.34-gentoo_2017-08-04-x86_64-AMD_Athlon-tm-_64_X2_Dual_Core_Processor_6000+-with-gentoo-2.3
KiB Mem:     2949092 total,   1218176 free
KiB Swap:    8388604 total,   8388604 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 14:00:01 +0000
sh bash 4.3_p48-r1
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.28 p1.2) 2.28
app-shells/bash:          4.3_p48-r1::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.24.1-r2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.12::gentoo, 3.4.5::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.7.2::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.3::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.28::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.10-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.28-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            5.4.0-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r3::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.4::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.23-r4::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms split-log strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/pub/linux/gentoo http://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/ ftp://lug.mtu.edu/gentoo/ ftp://mirrors.rit.edu/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.iawnet.sandia.gov/pub/gentoo/"
LANG="en_US"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa amd64 bash-completion berkdb bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk hddtemp iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify lm-sensors mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg multilib ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf perl php png policykit postscript ppds python qt3support qt4 raw readline ruby sdl seccomp session sockets sound spell sqlite ssl startup-notification svg symlink syslog tcpd tiff tokenizer truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 xattr xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_4" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_4" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby21 ruby22" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="radeon" XFCE_PLUGINS="brightness clock trash" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your system dbus (started by root) isn't running (you don't want a regular user fscking with dbus, need a root-owned dbus.) The consolekit service will start dbus for you as well as start the console-kit-daemon.

# rc-update add consolekit default
# service consolekit start # if no reboot

You won't need to do this if you use openrc xdm, which will call consolekit for you.
JustAnother
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - consolekit was not running as a service. I fixed that.

-> How did that sneak past me during the installation? I would have thought that the desktop install would have set up consolekit.

I ran ck-list-sessions from within xfce4, but there was no output. My other Gentoo machine (laptop) does have output. So I restarted xfce using "startxfce4 --with-ck-launch" and ck-list-sessions did show output, and the usb drive showed up, and I could mount it with a mouse click.

-> Why do I have to use --with-ck-launch? On the other Gentoo machine, I don't need to. I'm still doing something wrong.

Also, I have /etc/fstab entries for another partition on my main disk. It showed up before on the desktop & thunar, but now it is gone as you said it would be.

-> Is there a simple way to bring it back? It still shows up in lsblk.

Thanks. What I'm thinking here is that somebody should write a procedure that takes someone on a grand tour of xfce, sniffing out all these details about dbus, consolekit, automounting/permissions, etc. This is a good way to unbreak a broken DE while learning the system. There are a lot of unhappy people out there who keep bumping up against these issues.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think by default any emerge will automatically add rc services ... with good reason. I would hope anything that's automatically started should be controlled by the person installing. Same goes for

emerge openssh

or

emerge mysql

Both of these have services involved that though maybe at first glance would be helpful if they were automatically started, may actually have some configuration involved before they should be started.

--

Now the other issue is that I don't know how your other machine is setup. If you have a graphical login, most of these have consolekit support built-in and thus will give you a consolekit session immediately.

It seems pam now has support for sessions, so perhaps you have outstanding updates in /etc/pam.d that etc-update or dispatch-conf needs cleanup? Perhaps after that you won't need --with-ck-launch further.

--

You should have /etc/fstab entries only for disks that should be statically available and should not be messed with by a user. Note too that disks mounted by the user may not have all the usual permissions as these disks should not be normally be "trusted".

So yes you should put /etc/fstab entries for any disks that:

1. Everyone should always be able to see at all times, mounted on bootup, and thus not need click to mount (normal mounts like / (root) filesystem)
2. Nobody should be able to see, just have an entry and stick in "noauto" in the flags.

Else it should be fine just to leave out all other entries, you'll see the unmounted disks in your GUI, and you can mount them as needed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: