Ksmserver gone, no progress bars in dolphin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Ksmserver gone, no progress bars in dolphin Reply with quote

Not surprised. I know the rationale behind this so I am not asking why this happened.

Quick question. Is there a way to continue using dolphin outside kde?

Having no feedback about several gb copy operations other than top-like tools is no option.

Thanks for any insight you can provide :)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, then I will change my question to: what other file manager do you know that can display thumbnails that are not tiny in a screen that is not from 20th century?

Since dolphin stopped being usable I will be looking for alternatives. Thunar and pcmanfm won't work since they have a hardcoded limit of 128 pix for thumbnails (thunar can display huge icons however, but thumbs still look tiny).

Thanks for any suggestion.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found by chance that ksmserver is now part of plasma-workspace. You just need 40 packages as dependencies to get all the functionality back. I guess this is part of the new oh-even-much-more-modular approach they were talking about :)

I'm ditching this whole thing altogether, since it's becoming more gnomish than gnome. But here's the bit of info, in case someone cares/find it useful.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's not really a change by upstream here. ksmserver along with a lot of other packages has always been part of the kde-workspace (nowadays plasma-workspace) tarball, and to be able to ship split packages at the source level Gentoo was jumping through countless hoops, changing upstream buildsystem beyond recognition. We are not doing that anymore with Plasma-5.

A very positive example where upstream made considerable efforts to split up a monolithic repository (with lots of interdependencies) and rendered our own efforts obsolete actually is KDE PIM. But now people complain about the 'amount' of packages (stability aside...)

The same can not be said about Plasma upstream unfortunately.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Well, there's not really a change by upstream here. ksmserver along with a lot of other packages has always been part of the kde-workspace (nowadays plasma-workspace) tarball, and to be able to ship split packages at the source level Gentoo was jumping through countless hoops, changing upstream buildsystem beyond recognition. We are not doing that anymore with Plasma-5.

A very positive example where upstream made considerable efforts to split up a monolithic repository (with lots of interdependencies) and rendered our own efforts obsolete actually is KDE PIM. But now people complain about the 'amount' of packages (stability aside...)

The same can not be said about Plasma upstream unfortunately.

I know people like to complain because number of packages without taking into account the actual source code that's being compiled.

It's not the case actually. Ksmserver worked fine up to a few weeks ago, standalone. And it did not need this whole plasma thing. I can understand dolphin needing that because of some notification stuff that hooks into the plasma panels or because of a desktop widget for I don't know what purpose.

But I certainly don't know what you need plasma for when you can't even run it outside that desktop. As said, it worked just fine weeks ago
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
It's not the case actually. Ksmserver worked fine up to a few weeks ago, standalone.

May I ask about your upgrade cycle? ksmserver:4 was removed last February, and the last dolphin:4 version was removed more than a year ago. And since then, there was no use for ksmserver:4 at all in dolphin.

I *think* dolphin should still fallback to a regular progress dialog when outside of a Plasma desktop session but I haven't had any DE/WM beside Plasma-5/kwin in a long time...
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
i92guboj wrote:
It's not the case actually. Ksmserver worked fine up to a few weeks ago, standalone.

May I ask about your upgrade cycle? ksmserver:4 was removed last February, and the last dolphin:4 version was removed more than a year ago. And since then, there was no use for ksmserver:4 at all in dolphin.

Well, maybe it's been a bit longer than I said. Still, not much longer.

As for the rest, I don't really know what to say. It's entirely possible that dolphin5 was using ksmserver4 to display the progress dialog. It wouldn't be the only kde4 component kde5 users have been using for years in the mix anyway. I don't know how dolphin and ksmserver interface, so I might be saying something perfectly stupid here, but that's my (wild) guess.

In any case, and since crying won't help me at all, I'll just say that I think that dolphin is broken without a dependency on plasma-workspace, or that's my understanding at least. A file manager which doesn't inform you when it has finished copying a file is as good as an unsecured gun in the trousers of a rookie. You will sooner or later lose something important because of that. So, if dolphin requires forty packages for the progress dialog, so be it. Thumbnailing can be an optional use flag, but feedback when copying files is not. You can throw that into a "minimal" use flag, which is the use flag we use to break things knowingly, but other than that, I'd make that a mandatory dependency.

:lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: