Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
The OP wanted to recreate #gentoo just for women.

I am not sure if I am able to fully agree with that statement. But let me elaborate some things I observed on IRC and daily life: Men are dealing way easier with insults. Phrases like
Quote:
Only an idiot woud do....
or even more personal insults are part of their daily speech. As a reference, try to read chatlogs carefully or watch your environment. Men don't take such things that personal. - But Women are often driven away by exactly that kind of behavior.

Another example? Here you go: try to be at a Linux con doing stuff like setting up networking (I am a member of the core team doing networking). In my personal experience, people automatically assume that you are there for decoration purposes and cannot even spell the word 'network'. It really feels weird and it has the tendency to drive us away.

Even if someone tries to tell me that sexism/chauvinism is dead, this is my experience and the main reasons for this thread. Sorry guys if I stepped on someone's ego.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei,

Full disclosure, I'm a 64 year old male.

Sexism/chauvinism is far from dead. Its both inbred and taught from birth.
Girls are dressed in pink, boys in blue.
Girls play with dolls, boys play war games.
Mothers go to mother and toddler groups. House husbands trying to join in with their toddler experience what you describe from the mothers.
I suspect that its reinforced by the mothers husbands (who don't go).

It takes a very determined girl to break into a male dominated field and stay there.
Likewise, the other way round. - Its not a girl only problem in our wider society.

Legislation against sexism/chauvinism only serves to drive it underground, much as Homosexuals were driven underground by the law in the UK.
(Lesbians were not persecuted this way because nobody would explain Lesbianism to Queen Victoria.)

The fix starts at birth, treating boys and girls equally but then it takes 20 years or so to see the effects in IRC.
The hardest part of that is persuading new parents that the stereotypes they were brought up with need to be changed.

I agree that men and women communicate differently and its a problem.
The way I say something rather than what I say seems more important to the women I interact with.
I still don't get it right every time, even face to face. Text only media is much harder.

I agree a separate #gentoo-women would provide a 'safe space' for women but populating it will be difficult until society fixes its gender stereotypes.
If that were to happen it may no longer be needed.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
Phrases like
Quote:
Only an idiot woud do....
or even more personal insults are part of their daily speech.
I know this happens in some channels, but in #gentoo too? :(
Sure I could cope with somebody talking to me like that, but I'd be very tempted to ask for more polite way to discuss about the topic we were in.

I know Arch Linux suffered from this in forums and in their IRC channel. Maybe because they were fed of help vampires.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full disclosure: I'm a 36 year old woman, fighting my way through IT since I am able to think back due to having some nerd friends dragging me to university computer clubs when I was 6 for playing pacman. I even participated in kernel development and various other projects but I have to admit, the environment provided - no matter where - is made to drive women away. Dealing with sexism and "women and tech" chauvinism is an every day struggle.

Look at the LKML, look at other male dominated stuff - look how many women are leaving because of the communication problem or because of they feel that they stepped on a man's toes just by their presence.
devilheart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
Surely it's possible that IT jobs are less attractive to women due to some fact of their gender, although I have no idea what it would be. Personally I think it as likely that a woman would want a career in IT as it is that a man would. I see no reason why women can't do the job as well as men do. The same thing goes for Linux/Gentoo/whatever other grouping you could come up with.
Maybe they don't want to, or maybe it is a cultural thing (culture as culture-of-country). Recently, I was browsing the statistics of the ministry of education of my country (Italy) and, when considering scientific and engineering degrees, male students are many more. Situation seems more balanced just across the border

ToeiRei wrote:
Another example? Here you go: try to be at a Linux con doing stuff like setting up networking (I am a member of the core team doing networking). In my personal experience, people automatically assume that you are there for decoration purposes and cannot even spell the word 'network'. It really feels weird and it has the tendency to drive us away.
Well... they assume women are there for decorating the environment because it is an assumption driven by experience. For them, seeing a woman setting up networking, is an out-of-ordinary experience. It is true that this behaviour drives women away, but sticking around is the only way to change the situation. At least, I cannot think of a different approach

Last edited by devilheart on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like this thread is going off topic into the direction of "why do we have not many women around" instead of "how can we support the ones being here instead of driving them away"...
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo-Women - Take Three Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
Hi guys,

after some IRC conversations with some like-minded folks (read: female nerds) I found the old #gentoo-women channel and some old stuff from back in 2005 and I am wondering why the project itself is dead.

From my personal point of view I found out that we actually have different needs than male users - our forms of communication differ (#gentoo main chat can be rough!) and our ways of looking at things. Look at other projects having women groups: debian, kde,...

This shouldn't be something to discriminate men - in my opinion it should be an attempt to pull in more women into the community and support them. I mean, we're quite outnumbered in here but I feel like reaching out could at least be worth a try.

It died because people didn't keep it going.
A few of us created #gentoo-chat years ago as a place to chat Gentoo (rather than getting kicked from #gentoo). We also created #gentoo-uk because us Brits think differently.
#g-chat is self sustaining now while #g-uk has a couple of idlers simply because it is on our auto-join list.

So the question is.... What are you and other like-minded individuals going todo to create a self-sustaining ecosystem. The majority cannot answer this because as you pointed out "think differently"
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

I agree that men and women communicate differently and its a problem.
The way I say something rather than what I say seems more important to the women I interact with.
I still don't get it right every time, even face to face. Text only media is much harder.

Neddy... It's not as black and white as that. Training and upbringing has a bigger impact as oppose to sex... Nature Vs nurture

A Scot communication with a west country will be novel and independent of sex. An engineer communicating with a manager is independent of sex. A french manager communication (in English) to a British engineer is beyond frustrating (no language barrier). A scientist communicating with HR is independent of sex. A low-income individual communicating with a solicitor is independent of sex. Every single one has massive commutation style bumps.

Within a set of like-minded individuals other differing communication bumps may start to become ... Interesting but with Gentoo being an international project national differences will be more dominant than sex/gender specifics

This is not a binary consideration and as long as it is treated as a binary issue any means to improve communications will be slowed
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei,

"why do we have not many women around"
"how can we support the ones being here instead of driving them away"

are both questions that need to be addressed.

Answering the former may provide some insights to address root causes.
Addressing the latter is a sticking plaster which will stop things getting worse but not reverse the trend.

The answers to both need to come from the women in the Gentoo community.
Those men that are interested can only support.

I did join #gentoo-women briefly ... it was just me and channel server.
chanserv won't show me the flags so I can't see who owns it.

If you are interested in the #gentoo-women IRC channel to revive the project, I can probably organise regaining control.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib,

Naib wrote:
A Scot communication with a west country will be novel and independent of sex. An engineer communicating with a manager is independent of sex. A french manager communication (in English) to a British engineer is beyond frustrating (no language barrier).

I have first hand experience of all of those, you are correct. However, you need to start somewhere, so some simplification is justified.
Once there is progress, the model can be adjusted so it better matches reality.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Why focus on making a rule out of those exceptions, particularly when the objects are more into high heels than high tech?
More questioning of the basis (which always amounts to: "is there really a problem?".)
Naib wrote:
The OP wanted to recreate #gentoo just for women.
IDK where you got that from; you seem to be reading a different thread.
The atmosphere in many channels can be unwelcoming; this is hardly news. It does not imply the person describing it wishes to "recreate" it (and I am at a loss to see how you could draw that inference.)
Might not want to mix OTW and regular forum traffic so much.
Quote:
Only women can do that
Shame you've put them off before they even get started.

Seriously: read "How not to be an asshole"; because you're ticking all the boxes (and you keep coming back to tick them again, with no apparent insight into what you are doing.)
ToeiRei
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
I did join #gentoo-women briefly ... it was just me and channel server.
chanserv won't show me the flags so I can't see who owns it.

If you are interested in the #gentoo-women IRC channel to revive the project, I can probably organise regaining control.

Sounds like a plan. Btw here's the info ChanServ spits out:

Code:
[ChanServ] Information on #gentoo-women:
[ChanServ] Founder    : freenode-staff, christel
[ChanServ] Registered : Jun 23 01:18:46 2006 (11y 4w 0d ago)
[ChanServ] Last used  : Nov 02 14:24:15 2006 (10y 37w 1d ago)

I'd welcome the plan to revive the channel but only if it's part of something bigger - to do more into that direction.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW each and every human on the planet was raised with gender bias built-in, and it's not the same thing for every culture. Those of us who have married outside of our culture face this every day, with differences (sometimes subtle, sometimes not) interfering with each person's idea of how the relationship should work. This gender bias is so deep that we have no idea when we make assumptions about genders. My wife assumes things about men that American women don't assume about men, and gets angry when I don't comply to some assumed role that Colombian men all comply with. When we talk about it, she sometimes admits that she hates that quality in Colombian men. But she still gets angry.

How about that?

The same thing I said about my wife applies to me, assuming things about her. We've been married almost 5 years, it's still very much a work in progress and I expect it to be until one of us dies, or longer.

IMO we shouldn't be trying to define what the differences are. We should accept that there are differences, and I for one celebrate those differences. How uninteresting would the world be if we all had the same expectations?

@steveL, Yes there is really a problem. Looking at the IT industry the bell curve of women in the field does not look like the one for men. The number of women staying the long term is much lower than the number of entry-level workers would suggest, when compared to men in the field. As I mentioned before, if you see a woman in IT -- particularly something like programming or networking or [not replacing mice and keyboards] something difficult -- who has been in it a long time, she's probably extremely good at the job. There may be a non-discriminatory reason why fewer women enter into IT, but the ratio we see in the real world is very obviously lower than anyone would expect. The number of women who quit IT after only a year or three indicates that there is a problem.

For all I know I'm part of that problem, but I try not to be. I've trained and worked with a lot of new programmers over the years, and I've tried to make sure everyone had everything they needed to do the job. I've tried especially hard to make sure the women were taken care of. Maybe that's part of the problem?

Re: The atmosphere of many channels can be unwelcoming. Yes, and over the years a whole lot of mailing lists, newsgroups, IRC channels and forums have been abrupt, rude and even hostile to almost anyone. Thankfully not this forum.

Re: How to not be an asshole. I spend a good part of every day pondering this. Some days I think I got it, sort of. Other days I'm 100% sure I don't.

Re: Only women can do that. This is true. But men can support the idea, possibly in more than philosophical terms. The rub is, I have no idea how men can do that.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
I feel like this thread is going off topic into the direction of "why do we have not many women around" instead of "how can we support the ones being here instead of driving them away"...

The two questions are fundamentally intertwined if we assert that not many other women are around because we get driven away.

Ultimately, it comes down to the culture of the community and Gentoo has two distinct, separate communities - the devs and the users.

I, personally, have found the dev community to be largely insular and unwelcoming to everyone, not just women. There are just too many egos and too many younger men with a lot of free time looking to make a resume for themselves or stroke their own egos, and, thus, they're going to push their agenda regardless of who gets in the way, and they refuse to be challenged even when they're wrong. Again, it doesn't matter if it's a man or a woman challenging them, the dev will always win and their fellow devs will encircle them to make sure they win.

When it comes to users, there are a lot of people that are very helpful and there are some with personality disorders and social friction issues that are a problem for everyone, not just women.

In the end, I don't think there needs to be a separate, segregated area for women to rally for some cause within Gentoo. Even if we all agree that something is broken, who is going to then take it to the guys and deal with them, if the entire purpose is "we need a separate channel because guys are mean?" If you're looking to start a channel of female Gentoo users just to chat about "OMGZ, my shoes run Gentoo!", I think you're going to find a very limited audience. So, in the end, I guess I just don't see the point, which is probably why the channel died to begin with. I'd rather be discussing things in the larger group, where something may actually get done. Then there's also the fact that I don't just hang out on IRC - if I'm there, I'm there for a purpose and I leave when I'm done. Maybe that's because I get the vast of my social time in by interacting face to face these days - it's been 20 years since I was a regular on IRC.
proteusx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready for your Transgender Sensitivity Training!
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
I think people are trying to tell you they think atmosphere is already as supportive as they can reasonably make it. That there are no women just means none appear to be interested.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
That there are no women just means none appear to be interested.

But that's not true - I've come across more than one in #gentoo-* channels, and there's a few devs as well.
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
R0b0t1 wrote:
That there are no women just means none appear to be interested.

But that's not true - I've come across more than one in #gentoo-* channels, and there's a few devs as well.
Right, none at all is an exaggeration.

There's also women distributed in other Freenode channels, they just don't seem to go out of their way to advertise the fact they are women. I'm not sure it's so much due to problems with harassment as it is that mentioning you're a woman is not relevant to the majority of discussions.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:

There's also women distributed in other Freenode channels, they just don't seem to go out of their way to advertise the fact they are women. I'm not sure it's so much due to problems with harassment as it is that mentioning you're a woman is not relevant to the majority of discussions.

In my case, it's 75% that it's not relevant (my work is my work and stands for itself) and the other 25% is not wanting to be hit on constantly just because I'm a girl that groks tech.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
More questioning of the basis (which always amounts to: "is there really a problem?".)

It goes more along the lines:
1) I'm different than the majority
2) In my opinion majority sucks
3) Let's create a law that says the majority must accept me as a baseline
No, it does not work this way. I too think that majority sucks. Still, majority is majority. By sheer force of numbers that majority is what shapes our experience and then our personal bias.
Techie wearing skirts is very uncommon, so it's only natural that other people are distrustful. They are also distrustful about male nannies. One notable example barely avoided being sent to a jail (because a male nanny _must_ be a pedophile).
There is nothing inherently wrong about girls doing clever things or men working at baby's care, but they are extremely rare and we, humans, are pattern recognition machines.
We depend on spotting correlations and using this knowledge to our advantage. We _need_ stereotypes, we'd starve without them. There is no time for studying every single case, so we only study new cases or those we are stuck with (they're not going away for a long time or we are desperate). Thus, we all suffer from bias originating from our previous experience, and this is _not_ going to change. Ever.
The cost of rejecting an opportunity without consideration is much lower than cost of rejecting it after thinking it through.

Quote:
I'm not sure it's so much due to problems with harassment as it is that mentioning you're a woman is not relevant to the majority of discussions.
Yes, gender is irrelevant to problem solving. It would be sometimes nice to know who can you drink a beer with and whom to invite for a coffee, but "life support" is a bit out of scope*.

*I'm consiously using a stereotype here to make a joke. Not necessarily a good joke, but you wouldn't understand it without prior knowledge.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox,

Its not that black and white.
There are all sorts of subgroups within that 'majority'.
Individuals don't join the majority by jumping in either - its learned over the course of many years. Think of it as learning to swim. Very few swimmers learn by jumping into the deep end of the pool and just swimming. They start at the shallow end, where they feel safer.

I see Gentoo women in a similar way to learning to swim. Some will stay in the shallow end, others will learn that you only swim in the top 18 inches of water anyway and will move to join the majority.
Its not a 'safe haven' exclusive group, its about building confidence. Change will come too.
With increasing numbers moving into the majority grouping, the norm (in the statistical sense) will move.

There are two problems. Getting the swimming instructors (the core group to kick it off)
Keeping up a stream of learners.

It will take a lifetime to effect that sort of change, for all practical purposes, that's the same as never for most people alive today.
I can remember things from over 50 years ago that were forecast then to never change ... but change is the only thing that's certain.

Stereotypes change too. Examples I can recall would be considered offensive today.
If you want a rich pool of out of date stereotypes, watch the TV series of Monty Python. Viewers under 20 WILL BE offended.
I remember the original broadcasts.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToeiRei wrote:
Sounds like a plan. Btw here's the info ChanServ spits out:
Code:
[ChanServ] Information on #gentoo-women:
[ChanServ] Founder    : freenode-staff, christel
[ChanServ] Registered : Jun 23 01:18:46 2006 (11y 4w 0d ago)
[ChanServ] Last used  : Nov 02 14:24:15 2006 (10y 37w 1d ago)
I'd welcome the plan to revive the channel but only if it's part of something bigger - to do more into that direction.
Ah that's who I meant above, christel (not musikc - I always got the 'c's mixed up.) Sorry about that.
As to "something bigger", I'd start small, personally; bigger sounds like you want some backing across the board, which means a campaign on dev, which will get even worse nit-picking about irrelevance ("I wonder if that really is the issue, or whether it's.."), before dying with "well, if women aren't interested, what can we do about it?" as the "position statement."

Whereas if you can point to a fairly successful[1] channel, you have more weight when you do approach the bigger campaign; really you want it to be a shoe-in.
Starting a discussion on gentoo-user, once you have the channel re-registered, would be a good move: even if someone doesn't want to post, they might well turn up on IRC.

And seriously, see if you can get a moment on IRC with christel, if you haven't already; she's lovely. :-)

--
[1] meaning friendly, with regulars; it does not need to be that big in terms of numbers
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
szatox wrote:
It goes more along the lines:
No, it really doesn't. You appear to be describing some stereotype in your head about "minorities" (vs "the majority"), then going on to assert god knows what; I couldn't parse it.

Let's face it, you're doing exactly the same thing: questioning the basis, as if anyone needed it reconfirmed; and what a surprise, you've found a way in your mind to blame the victim ^W^W^W say there really isn't a problem.

"Don't let the one who thinks there is no problem, interrupt the person fixing it."
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL, I'm not blaming the victim. I'm not blaming _anyone_ here, and it's not even a matter of guilt. Every single system follows some rules. Somehow people look at rules of physics, test them, and write them down turning them into laws, and then look at the rules of society, test them, say they are unfair, write laws against those rules, and hope the rules would change.

If we were to double check every single case before making decisions, we would all starve.
Heuristics can fail, but we use them because they are very efficient when they work. We do need generalizations, which results in stereotypes. You can replace their content by providing other people with new experience, but the stereotypes are not going away, because there will always be some experience, and we will always need generalizations.
Hence: if you want people to take female techies seriously, there must be much more female techies than there are now, and they better be really good.

Unfortunately, even those girls brave enough to try becoming techies often lack some useful traits. Say, I was stunned to discover how bad imagination women have. I imagine women are stunned when they discover how bad man are with tracking anniversaries. Of course, they can make up for it in other areas, like putting extra effort into task at hand, but that extra effort often mean they could pick an easier path instead, which brings as back to the start:
You pick some path, and your choice contributes to experience gained by people around you, which in turn either contributes to stereotypes or undermines them.
Unfortunately for minorities of all kinds, those stereotypes make a positive feedback loop. Yes, it is unfair. So is gravity when it breaks your leg. But we don't outlaw gravity, we just struggle against it every morning, then use it to our advantage, and we don't jump out the window. Safe for those few who have put extra effort and now can actually do that.

Quote:
Individuals don't join the majority by jumping in either - its learned over the course of many years. Think of it as learning to swim
I thought it was more about "making majority more like me" rather than "making myself more like majority". I like your idea of swimming lesson though.
You are comfortable with water, but the majority is afraid and they hold you back in the shallows. So you have to escape them first and then show them how it's done. I can swim too, but - being a fish - I'm too different to make an example.
At least ain't gonna kick you out of water.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox,

Gravity is a good example. You jump off of a skyscraper, you and the earth fall towards one another.
You don't notice the earth accelerate towards you because its much more massive than you are.
Thus with any minority influencing a majority.

Homework ... do the maths.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: