Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[manbearpig] Paris Agreement Unnessary
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Syria is one area you mentioned. That seems more of a civil war than terrorism.

ISIS does not seem at all interested in climate matters. Am I forgetting any major events? The club attacks don't seem related to climate, neither did the Boston marathon bombing. Nor any similar events I can recall in recent years throughout Europe.

Are any of those incidents ones you're claiming are related to climate change? I've heard nothing about the terrorists using climate change as an excuse. Does this go back to the 70s? Earlier?


are you kidding me?

In Crippled Afghanistan, a Torturing Drought

Quote:
But rainfall has been a rare visitor to Afghanistan for three years running, and even the best of the desert dwellers have been humbled. The Kuchis of the Registan have fled north only to find that the snow-melt from the mountains has failed to refresh the rivers below. Their customary refuges have become a broken thread of narrow, vanishing ponds.

Some 20,000 of them can now be found in places like Nalgham in the parched Arghandab Valley, a spot ordinarily lush with grapes, apricots and pomegranates. They pitch their tents in depleted pastures, where they watch the last of their livestock die.


article is from 2000.

All social conflict (terrorism included) is class conflict. I'm not saying that all terrorism is rooted in drought, but thanks to the Soviets and then the Taliban, by 2000, Afghanistan had been reliant on foreign aid for food for 10 years because it's infrastructure was non-existent, and the drought from 1995-2002 was the perfect breeding ground for dissent and anger.

The more extreme weather events, the more resources are strained, the more likelyhood we will see terrorist activity.
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor bin Laden. Being a multi-millionaire, I never realized how strapped for resources he was. That explains 9/11.

Thank you, sugar. And here I thought that Islamic terrorism was routed in the commands from the Islamic holy book demanding terrorism be carried out in the name of Islam.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hypothesize that 75% of terrorists could be sedated by simply having a beer. Like what I'm doing right now. Except, I'm having multiple.

Sorry, this whole thread is so nutty I think it just deserves to be turned into a drinking discussion.

EDIT: Or, we could talk about Korean. For instance, the term "drunkard" is rendered as "주정뱅이." So to say, "I am a drunkard," that would be rendered as, "나는 주정뱅이이다." But note that this only makes use of plain conjugation.

EDIT: "나는" implies a level of familiarity with whoever you are talking to. If you want to convey respect while explaining that you are a fucking alcoholic, use "저는."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Poor bin Laden. Being a multi-millionaire, I never realized how strapped for resources he was. That explains 9/11.

Thank you, sugar. And here I thought that Islamic terrorism was routed in the commands from the Islamic holy book demanding terrorism be carried out in the name of Islam.


the Saudi goal is to spread Wahhabism across the Muslim world. This strain of Wahhabism justifies the absolute power of the Saudi Royal Family. The Saudi royal families interests align with the interests of the USA. ISIS are also Wahhabi, but do not recognize the absolute power of the king.

This is a class conflict between the poor and the wealthy, with religion being used as a tool on both sides. "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed".
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed".

I am a Christian. Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior.

I also live by myself in a 3 bed, 2 bath house (that's mine) and drive a recent truck in excellent condition (3/5 paid off).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar, pro-tip : Stop looking at the world through a Marxist lens and start thinking for yourself.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that everyone in this thread has been here for well over ten years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I just realized that everyone in this thread has been here for well over ten years.


:D

Cheers, leatherneck!
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:

:D

Cheers, leatherneck!

Thank you for not calling me a jarhead. No Marine, since the big bang, has ever called another Marine a jarhead.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Muso wrote:

:D

Cheers, leatherneck!

Thank you for not calling me a jarhead. No Marine, since the big bang, has ever called another Marine a jarhead.


I know ;)

I find the term nearly as distasteful as the n-word.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
sugar wrote:
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed".

I am a Christian. Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior.

I also live by myself in a 3 bed, 2 bath house (that's mine) and drive a recent truck in excellent condition (3/5 paid off).


In the US, middle class incomes have stagnated since the 70s despite a tripling in productivity.

but you've got Jesus and a truck, so you're happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-class_squeeze#/media/File:Productivity_and_Real_Median_Family_Income_Growth_1947-2009.png
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petulant. Bravo :roll:
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Petulant. Bravo :roll:


the recent election is evidence that the middle classes are begining to wake up to this, and they're angry, really angry, they're just not sure what they are angry at. The tea party and the occupy movement were both angry for the same reasons, they just didn't really understand why they were angry.
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Muso wrote:
Petulant. Bravo :roll:


the recent election is evidence that the middle classes are begining to wake up to this, and they're angry, really angry, they're just not sure what they are angry at. The tea party and the occupy movement were both angry for the same reasons, they just didn't really understand why they were angry.


Thank Allah you're here to teach them how they should understand their own feelings.

Trotsky, /leftypol is that way ->
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
sugar wrote:
Muso wrote:
Petulant. Bravo :roll:


the recent election is evidence that the middle classes are begining to wake up to this, and they're angry, really angry, they're just not sure what they are angry at. The tea party and the occupy movement were both angry for the same reasons, they just didn't really understand why they were angry.


Thank Allah you're here to teach them how they should understand their own feelings.

Trotsky, /leftypol is that way ->


:roll:
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 151

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
sugar wrote:
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed".

I am a Christian. Jesus Christ is my personal Lord and Savior.

I also live by myself in a 3 bed, 2 bath house (that's mine) and drive a recent truck in excellent condition (3/5 paid off).


In the US, middle class incomes have stagnated since the 70s despite a tripling in productivity.

but you've got Jesus and a truck, so you're happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-class_squeeze#/media/File:Productivity_and_Real_Median_Family_Income_Growth_1947-2009.png


Not everyone feels your righteous sense of altruism. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle-class_squeeze#/media/File:U.S._Change_in_real_income_versus_selected_goods_and_services_v1.png If they did, higher education would more affordable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Muso wrote:
Poor bin Laden. Being a multi-millionaire, I never realized how strapped for resources he was. That explains 9/11.

Thank you, sugar. And here I thought that Islamic terrorism was routed in the commands from the Islamic holy book demanding terrorism be carried out in the name of Islam.


the Saudi goal is to spread Wahhabism across the Muslim world. This strain of Wahhabism justifies the absolute power of the Saudi Royal Family. The Saudi royal families interests align with the interests of the USA. ISIS are also Wahhabi, but do not recognize the absolute power of the king.

This is a class conflict between the poor and the wealthy, with religion being used as a tool on both sides. "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed".
So not climate change.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugar wrote:
Old School wrote:
You are hopeless. Your first feeling is to look to the authoritarian state for all your solutions and answers.

What about people just doing the right thing without people like you threatening us with a gun to our heads to force conformity to the regressive left's newest fad. Once people looked to family and neighbors. Now the beta males have taken over, everyone must look to the authoritarian state.

Pitiful.


*facepalm*

how is it authoritarian if there's no mechanism for enforcement?
I'm speaking of your whole mindset. You look to the authoritarian state for all of your solutions in life.

Mommy and Daddy will provide. One must just live by their rules, or one will be cut off.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Muso wrote:

:D

Cheers, leatherneck!

Thank you for not calling me a jarhead. No Marine, since the big bang, has ever called another Marine a jarhead.


I know ;)

I find the term nearly as distasteful as the n-word.
Huh. I'd never heard or perceived it to be any more or less derogatory than leatherneck.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Muso wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
Muso wrote:

:D

Cheers, leatherneck!

Thank you for not calling me a jarhead. No Marine, since the big bang, has ever called another Marine a jarhead.


I know ;)

I find the term nearly as distasteful as the n-word.
Huh. I'd never heard or perceived it to be any more or less derogatory than leatherneck.


You were in the Chair Force though, right?

I've heard Marines call each other Marine, Leatherneck, Devil Dog, Buddy, also whatever rank they are (e.g. Corporal, Top, etc), and of course "Sir" for officers (or Ma'am for WM's*)

I've heard Sailors, Airmen, and Soldiers call marines Jarhead.



*WM is wrongly thought to mean "Woman Marine", but it actually means "Worthless Marine". BAM (Big Ass Marine) is also acceptable for the Marines of the XX variety.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy


Last edited by Muso on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Army.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 753
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Army.


Edited more info above.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like sequels?

They're usually good for some bank and maybe a few laughs for the audience:

Al Gore: ‘There’s still time to avoid catastrophe’


And speaking of laughs...

Twenty-Five Years Since The Ozone Hole Killed Us All
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I'm speaking of your whole mindset. You look to the authoritarian state for all of your solutions in life.

Mommy and Daddy will provide. One must just live by their rules, or one will be cut off.


if your house was burning down, you wouldn't call the government funded fire service, because that's too authoritarian, but rather just wait for the fire to correct itself by running out of fuel? maybe it might rain?
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 23 Mar 2004
Posts: 1246
Location: Idaho, USA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
*WM is wrongly thought to mean "Woman Marine", but it actually means "Worthless Marine".

Everyone in the 2nd Marine Logistics Group thought it meant "Woman Marine." So I guess there it's "true."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum