[SOLVED almost] kde focus without raising window
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
netjiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED almost] kde focus without raising window Reply with quote

Hi.

How to set focus to a window without raising it?
I'd rather not have focus-follow-mouse.

It used to be (ancient) that scrolling set keyboard input focus without raising the window, but the current behaviour (scrolling without raising or focus) is actually better for me. However, I would still like to be able to set focus for keyboard input without raising windows in some cases.

? suggestions

Last edited by netjiro on Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:54 am; edited 2 times in total
sokhapkin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sytem settings/Window Behavior/Focus tab - move "Activating Winows" slide to " Focus Follows Mouse".
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know with KDE4 there were definitely separate settings for "activate and pass click" and "activate, pass click and raise window" for the first three mouse buttons near the window frame settings. Try looking there?
netjiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, found a solution:

What I wanted was a way to activate a window for keyboard input without raising it, and I prefer to not have focus follow mouse (the even older solaris defaults?). The old (ancient) style was to have mouse scroll wheel do : activate (kb focus) + pass scroll + do not raise.

But I like the new way of being able to scroll without focus or raise, so I'm keeping that. It's very handy when typing away while looking at reference material. That way I don't have to tab-switch (annoying when I have multiple windows in shifting use order) or move the mouse (always annoying).

Systems Settings > Window Behaviour > Focus
> click to focus
> click raises active window

Systems Settings > Window Behaviour > Window Actions
> inactive inner window:
> > right button : activate (don't raise or pass right click)
> > wheel : scroll (don't activate or raise)

Even better would have been if I could have been able to assign a keyboard key + mouse to perform the focus but don't raise, but just "activate" is not available from the drop down lists.

Anyone who knows what config files these settings end up in? Perhaps it's possible to change the behaviour config without gui support?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kind of a left field solution for you, but you might want to consider giving i3 (or awesomewm) a try. Tiling window managers are the perfect tool for what you describe. They will automatically fill the screen with both windows occupying 50%. You can also have three with all of them occupying a third or one half and two quarters.

I tried it a few years ago and got hooked. I never realized how much time I wasted managing windows until I didn't have to. (That sentence could be taken another way that is also true.)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
netjiro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a potentially great solution. I've been (postponing) checking it out for years now :)
If I ever get time to hunt down a new little typewriter-laptop this will for sure be the way to go. I had a friend demo his tiling setup a few years ago and it really looked handy.

For my multimonitor office setup the kde window rules handler is (almost) good enough to always force (most) apps to keep/start the windows positioned and sized the way I want it. And I have quite a few of these rules set up. Spending a few minutes extra on the first couple of launches of an app after a new install is sooo beneficial to my mental health when I never have to move or resize the windows ever again (!).

One of my customers a few years ago had an all MS shop and it was needles-in-my-brain annoying that things never stuck where I left it on their machines. I suggested I'd write a small tool to actually measure how much time (and work flow interruptions) his guys were spending on "nonsense" such as desktop fiddling and document formatting, but he didn't want to know... (or at least not pay to find out).

If anyone has a good suggestion for a small laptop/netbook with an excellent keyboard and >12h battery life please let me know. Small (10-11"-ish), light weight, low power (passive cooling?), matte screen >=1024x768 resolution. My ancient Fujitsu T4220 with dockable extra batteries lasted for almost a decade but now it has sadly accumulated too much decreptitude to be practical.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: