[SOLVED] Plasma 5, TrueType fonts ruined after system update
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TLoD_Snake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Plasma 5, TrueType fonts ruined after system update Reply with quote

Hello.

I've recently updated my system using `emerge -uDNav @world` and got TrueType fonts rendering totally ruined. I was using non-antialiased Verdana as my common font for whole DE and now it's utter pain to look at it.

Picture of the disaster: http://oi67.tinypic.com/2zjmih3.jpg

Profile: default/linux/amd64/13.0
My config files are in this gist: https://gist.github.com/TLoD-Snake/58368dd927da6cbdfdf085398b1d1a22
uname -a: Linux localhost 4.9.16-gentoo #1 SMP Wed Jun 21 23:43:30 MSK 2017 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Kernel compiled using genkernel
equery l nvidia-drivers: [IP-] [ ] x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-381.22-r1:0/381 (Nvidia 980ti)
KDE Plasma 5.8.6
KDE Frameworks 5.34.0
QT 5.6.2

What I've tried to do to solve problem:
- Tried to switch profile to plasma one, update the system according Plasma 5 article in Gentoo wiki.
- Tried to remove ~/.config, .~/cache folders
- Tried to remove my /etc/fonts/local.conf
- Tried to upgrade my Plasma to testing branch 5.7.2, which end up with broken kwin and didn't solve the problem with fonts. Got some hard time while downgrading it back to stable one
- I've rebuild x11-libs/libXft, media-libs/freetype, media-libs/fontconfig, tried to build system without egl/wayland
- Tried to enable Infinality
- Did `emerge -e world`

Now I'm a little bit lost and unsure what to do next, I'd highly appreciate any help. Thank you.

Last edited by TLoD_Snake on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
TLoD_Snake
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of struggle I've finally figured out how to solve the problem and bring my beloved non-antialiased Verdana back to life.
There is a new (at least for me cause I didn't update my system for a long time) use flag in media-libs/freetype called "cleartype_hinting" and it's enabled by default. One shall disable it to get clear and sexy non-antialiased ttf fonts.

Marking topic as solved.

P.S. That's how it looks now. The title of the window is not updated yet (will be after relogin) so you can see the difference between title of the window (with clear type hinting) and text inside (without it). http://oi64.tinypic.com/330e651.jpg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: