NVIDIA Optimus fails after revdep-rebuild
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CPUFan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: NVIDIA Optimus fails after revdep-rebuild Reply with quote

Hello,

I had NVIDIA Optimus working without issues, then (because of ABI changes) I did the suggested revdep-rebuild

Code:
revdep-rebuild --library 'libstdc++.so.6 -- --exclude gcc'

and after that, it did not work anymore (more exactly, I don't get the graphic SDDM login stuff anymore, but only a text based login, and "/etc/init.d/xdm status" returns "crashed").

The same symptoms are described here. The eclean-solution proposed did not help. What I have not tried is switching "eselect opengl" to xorg-x11 and running another revdep-rebuild (300 packets!), but from gentoo IRC chat, people have suggested no to try it (mainly because that solution is too old).

Things I've tried and infos:

• It does not look like the emerging might have overwritten important config flies (at least, I can not see any candidates that don't have CONFIG_PROTECT).
  • I rebuilt the kernel and then the nvidia-drivers without success.
  • Xorg.0.log
  • dmesg
  • The PCI bus ID matches the one from "lspci -k" , so it's correct.

Can someone please help?

Last edited by CPUFan on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 3 times in total
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you running your programs? Does optirun or anything else produce output? Are you in the bumblebee group?
Code:
optirun glxinfo
CPUFan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an optirun command. I use modesetting, like described in the NVIDIA/Optimus wiki page, not bumblebee.
CPUFan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that I had xorg-server 1.19.3 installed, and the NVIDIA/Optimus wiki page recommends a more simplified version of xorg.conf. I changed xorg.conf and it worked.

Lesson: When something on your Gentoo system does not work read the full article about the topic carefully (even stuff that looks like it would never change or would not matter) and check carefully that your system still complies with everything. No criticism about Gentoo, it just seems to be a practical rule.

One open question: The whole thing worked before the revdep-rebuild, which means that my xorg-server version might have changed by the revdep-rebuild. Can revdep-rebuild - under some circumstances - emerge newer versions of packages, even though you didn't do an "emerge --sync"?
firasuke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Try the instructions in the following article Reply with quote

[url]I've written an article on how to configure bumblebee on gentoo linux on my website and I'm constantly updating it (hopefully will add it to the gentoo wiki once I confirm it's 100% working), you may want to check it out:

https://www.dotslashlinux.com/2017/06/04/setting-up-bumblebee-on-gentoo-linux/

A couple of users have found it helpful, give it a shot and tell me what went wrong :P

Good Luck
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: