XDG_RUNTIME_DIR foolishness with startkde
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR foolishness with startkde Reply with quote

I had stayed back with good ole kdm for as long as I could but eventually had to look at alternatives. In every alternative (sddm, lightdm, lxdm) that I tried, I would get an immediate cycle back to the dm when trying to start a plasma session. It would appear that this is what is biting me:

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=129815

The comment from the KDE developer is particular annoying since it seems that they assume that pam_systemd is taking care of this. Since I doubt I will ever let that thing get near my system is there something a little more openrc appropriate that can be done in the pam stack so that I don't have to keep hacking /usr/bin/startkde everytime it gets re-emerged?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since systemd sets it in conjunction with pam, I suspect consolekit should set it for non-systemd boxes.

1. Is your consolekit working and you getting a consolekit session.
2. Is your /etc/pam.d up to date with etc-update or dispatch-conf ?

If you're not using consolekit either... uh... okay... time to hack your displaymanager to workaround ... ?
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a workaround (even a relatively ugly one) based on modifying a startup script (such as startkde), you could use a Portage user patch to ensure that your workaround is applied automatically each time you rebuild that script. It's no cleaner than what you have now, but it is less manual effort long term.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have plenty of users with non-systemd setups starting Plasma-5 just fine. I don't think the linked thread is your problem. Although I haven't tried with_out any session tracking (we now have the choice of systemd, elogind or consolekit)...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: