luks zfs initramfs and crypt_root
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustfinger
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: luks zfs initramfs and crypt_root Reply with quote

I use genkernel to create an initramfs that supports luks and zfs
Code:
genkernel --install --luks --zfs initramfs

The --luks parameter provides support for a kernel parameter called crypt_root and real_root. The problem is that I have more then one encrypted device that makes up the root. How can I express this fact with the crypt_root and real_root kernel params?

I have two drives that are luks encrypted using the same passphrase. /dev/sda1 and /dev/nvme0n1p2.

Code:

livecd / # lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0 931.5G  0 disk 
└─sda1        8:1    0 931.5G  0 part 
  └─crypt2  252:1    0 931.5G  0 crypt
sdb           8:16   1   7.2G  0 disk 
└─sdb1        8:17   1   7.2G  0 part 
loop0         7:0    0     2G  0 loop 
nvme0n1     259:0    0   477G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1    0   512M  0 part  /boot
└─nvme0n1p2 259:2    0 476.4G  0 part 
  └─crypt1  252:0    0 476.4G  0 crypt

Once decrypted the devices are striped vdevs and can be imported into a zpool called tank.

Code:
livecd / # zpool status
  pool: tank
 state: ONLINE
  scan: none requested
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        tank        ONLINE       0     0     0
          crypt1    ONLINE       0     0     0
          crypt2    ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I would like to be able to configure grub2 so that the fact that there are multiple encrypted root devices is properly expressed and handled. For example:
Code:
linux   /vmlinuz-4.9.16-gentoo dozfs crypt_root=/dev/nvme0n1p2 real_root=/dev/mapper/crypt1 crypt_root=/dev/sda2 real_root=/dev/mapper/crypt2 root=ZFS=tank/root ro

I don't think that passing crypt_root twice is the answer of course. How can this be achieved?

-- EDIT #1 --
Is it possible to do what I want to do with device mapper multipath? I did not know about device mapper multipath when I wrote the above, but if I could somehow pass to the initramfs the multipath device then maybe it would know to scan the increments of the device.
Given that I have the following multi path device mapped
/dev/mapper/crypt1 and /dev/mapper/crypt2

would it be possible to set crypt_root=/dev/mapper/crypt perhaps? Or maybe even crypt_root=/dev/mapper/crypt{1,2}

I was told by someone on irc that with zfs I do not want to use real_root, just crypt_root and root params. So by using device mapper I might end up with something like this:
Code:
linux   /vmlinuz-4.9.16-gentoo dozfs crypt_root=/dev/mapper/crypt{1,2} root=ZFS=tank/root ro

But the above does not actually work, but I am wondering if something similar to that might be supported. There is no documentation on this that I can find.
---------------
zino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't insist on using genkernel to create the initramfs you could use sys-kernel/bliss-initramfs. An initramfs created with it is capable of decrypting multiple devices.

For instance, the cmdline for my raidz2 with 6 LUKS encrypted hard drives looks like this:

Code:
BOOT_IMAGE=/bzImage-zfs triggers=luks,zfs enc_drives=ID=ata-TOSHIBA_DT01ACA100_24E0V05MS,ID=ata-TOSHIBA_DT01ACA100_24E0A5YMS,ID=ata-TOSHIBA_DT01ACA100_24E0TBAMS,ID=ata-TOSHIBA_DT01ACA100_24E0KJLMS,ID=ata-Hitachi_HDT721010SLA360_STF607MH1HH7MW,ID=ata-TOSHIBA_DT01ACA100_24E0UE1MS enc_type=pass root=tresor/OS/rootvol usr=tresor/OS/usr initrd=/initrd-zfs

When the system boots up bliss-initramfs asks for your LUKS passphrase and then applies it to all drives indicated by the enc_drives option.
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use genkernel or genkernel-next then instead of passing crypt_root use crypt_roots as follows:
Code:
crypt_roots=/dev/sda2 crypt_roots=/dev/sdb2

You can have only one real_root, but if you use software raid, then the two partitions will be opened and ready to be assembled by the raid software.
msst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also use btrfs - nowadays a pretty reasonable replacement for zfs - and then multi disk root is possible by including the btrfs utility and running a btrfs device scan in the initramfs.

After that you don't need to pass multiple devices any more by kernel command line.

I personally have better experiences with better-initramfs than with genkernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: