sddm - buggy and high cpu load
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: sddm - buggy and high cpu load Reply with quote

Good evening,

with KDE5 KDM was replaced by SDDM. KDM worked quite well in the past, but SDDM has some annoying problems. I wonder, why I didn't find anything about SDDM here in the forum. Am I the only one, who is using that thing? Or does it seem to unimportant for this short time from starting X until the Desktop Manager?

1. High CPU load
Code:
17888 sddm      20   0  847468 206304  91340 S  48,5  2,6   7:41.62 sddm-greet+

My notebook with KDE4 needed about 3 seconds from switching on (UEFI) into KDM. With sddm it hangs for about 2 seconds. Typing the password gives me a feeling of lagging. After KDE or e16 has been started everything is normal again.

This problem has been addressed here:
https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/323
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1165857
I the first link the explain it as an problem of qtdeclarative and OpenGL.

2. Window-/Desktop-Manager
This is the second problem. KDE5 is installed, but mostly I use e16. The relation is quite strange, but looking into the themes:
  • Maledives: The only theme, which is working correctly. The font is quite huge on my HiDPI display except the button labels, which appear very tiny. I'm able to start both KDE and e16. CPU-Load about 50%.
  • Breeze: Starts with an error message box: Configuration file "/var/lib/sddm/.config/sddm-greeterrc" not available. Please contact your system administrator. (Should be me). Nevertheless it starts. The font is consistently very tiny (nothing scaled). CPU-load is about 30%.
  • Elarun: Overall font is quite huge. CPU-load is about 50%. And I can start e16, independent if I choose e16 or Plasma as Session. No chance to start KDE.

What's wrong about this thing? Or is it my (unmodified) config. I'm facing this problems on 2 different computers. At least on the non-HiDPI display the fonts have the correct size.
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Workarounded" the problem with the Breeze theme:

Created an empty sddm-greeterrc in /var/lib/sddm/.config and changed the owner of .config directory to sddm:sddm. With it the error message has been vanished.

The tiny font size of the Breeze theme I could correct with:
/etc/sddm.conf:
ServerArguments=-nolisten tcp -dpi 192
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: