i3WM, Plasma 5 won't start any program after I connect toVPN
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
txykumat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: i3WM, Plasma 5 won't start any program after I connect toVPN Reply with quote

Strange thing is happening. All of my gentoo installation (one with i3wm, one with KDE plasma, one with LXDE) can't lunch any program if I connect to VPN through networkmanager. If I connect to VPN using console (i.e., openvpn server.ovpn) then I all of the installation can lunch program after I get connected yo VPN. So far, the work around I found is just connect via command line, but I want to understand why using networkmanager would cause no program to start (including terminal, playing video from dolphin with mpv) after connecting to VPN. I first thought it was i3wm issue but I found out today it happens with all of the Gentoo and Funtoo installations. Please help.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What programs fail to start when you are connected to the VPN via the GUI? What error message(s) are shown when they fail?
txykumat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What programs fail to start when you are connected to the VPN via the GUI? What error message(s) are shown when they fail?

firefox-bin, pcmanfm, mpv launched from pcmanfm, thunderbird-bin, mousepad, networkmanager won't open new dialogbox. In short, anything and everything that has gui component fail to launch. I don't know where to look for the error detail. Is it /var/log/dmesg?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try opening a terminal, connecting, and then starting the programs from said terminal.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
txykumat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Try opening a terminal, connecting, and then starting the programs from said terminal.

I can't open xfce4-terminnal from i3, do you mean like ctl+alt+F2 then login as user then run firefox-bin &?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txykumat wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

I can't open xfce4-terminnal from i3, do you mean like ctl+alt+F2 then login as user then run firefox-bin &?
If you can't open a terminal then your system is really effed up. In i3's default configuration $mod+Return should bring up a terminal. Specifically i3-sensible-terminal which tries several in a specific order. xfce4-terminal is part of that list.

Failing that most i3 installations include dmenu from which you can launch any executable.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
txykumat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK this same problem is now happening in my funtoo installation as well. if i have my terminal open then connect to VPN and I do

Code:
$ firefox-bin

I get error says

Code:
Error. No Screen Found

This hasn't affected my arch Linux installation or *buntu/debian installations, but all of gentoo/funtoo installation seems kapt. start happening scince the last

Code:
emerge -auDN --with-bdeps=y @world
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now we know what the why, but not the how. Honestly Hu would probably understand this problem better than I do.

The why is that the $DISPLAY variable is being overwritten. Try echo $DISPLAY before and after. You can try manually resting it with DISPLAY=":0" or whatever you learned it should be. This is a work around at best.

The real problem is that whatever VPN plugin networkmanager is using overwrites $DISPLAY which is likely a configuration issue. It is likely to be something relating to X forwarding. It might also be possible to fix the problem by using a different plug in as I understand networkmanager doesn't natively handle VPN.

Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$DISPLAY cannot be changed from outside (if we ignore ptrace and similar trickery) once the process starts. As I understand it, OP started the terminal before the VPN connection, so whatever $DISPLAY it had before the VPN connection should be the one it has afterward. My suspicion is that the hostname is being changed, although that is not the error I expected to see for an xauth-based hostname mismatch. In particular, grep -rl 'No Screen Found' /usr/lib/ returned no hits for me, so whatever library is generating that string is entirely absent on my system. This is unfortunate, since it means I cannot readily check the source to see the condition(s) under which that error would be shown.

OP: please do this (as your user, not as root):
Code:
echo $DISPLAY
xauth list
hostname
Then connect to your VPN. Then run those commands again. xauth list output is technically secret, so you should obscure the cookie field before posting, such as by piping the output to gawk '{print $1, $2;}'. However, while you should not show us the cookies, you should verify that xauth list produces the same output before and after the problem. You can also withhold/mask the hostname if you like, but please indicate whether you get the same hostname in both cases.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: