slow performance in i3 wm when compared to gnome
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walterw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:34 am    Post subject: slow performance in i3 wm when compared to gnome Reply with quote

When running firefox or chromium with about 5 - 10 tabs open, my system will become relatively unusable and hang in my i3 session. I'm not running a display manager, I'm simply logging into a console, then running startx which starts an i3 session. Other applications don't have this issue, so I'm thinking it is something graphically related. I see direct rendering is enabled, so at least that is a plus. I like i3 because it is very fast, lightweight, and allows me to streamline my workflow. But, if it becomes unresponsive, then it becomes a pain.

Now, the same system running firefox or chromium with again, between 5 - 10 tabs has no issues in gnome with the standard display manager, etc.

Any ideas as to what else to check? I don't see a terrible amount of disk activity when the slow down occurs in i3, but then again it doesn't refresh quickly so maybe it is still possible the drive is slow, but I'm inclined to think that my video isn't setup properly.

Thanks,

Walter
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running firefox and chromium daily in i3 and I cannot reproduce your issue. Therefore I suspect a configuration issue. Try creating a new user and test both browsers in i3. Does the problem reoccur? If not try loging into gnome to see if that causes the problem.

If it is graphics related, emerge --info might be helpful, as well as emerge -pv firefox chromium

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Juippisi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe you need to exec ck-launch-session and dbus-launch when starting i3?

Cant really reproduce this problem here either...
walterw
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I'm starting my session with ck-launch-session and dbus-launch.

Yes, I was thinking it was configuration related and I'll try that when I'm in front of that computer again.

Thanks,

Walter
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: