Gentoo soc - GSE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Gentoo soc - GSE Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am happy to announce that this summer I have been given the chance to materialize an idea, next to Gentoo. The project's aim is about creating a stateless Gentoo system with functions that will provide an environment for extra control and configuration options for the mentioned system. A detailed introduction for the above is given on the readme file on the github repository below.

https://github.com/ulfox/GSE

At the end, I want to create something that will be worth that time, so any comment/feedback is most welcome.

Christos.K
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulfox,

Welcome to Gentoo and good luck with your project.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ulfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ulfox,

Welcome to Gentoo and good luck with your project.

Thank you :)
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a sort of idea that comes back and again. Apparently many people need something like that but nobody actually reached "production" with his work (yes, including me).
I use different approach though: overlayfs.
I have a few machines running in diskless mode with static system compressed into squashfs (copied to RAM during boot) and an rw ramdisk mounted on top of it, so I can even update or install new software (at cost of increased memory consumption, so it's more of a quick, temporary fix than a way to keep going for years). This approach it extremely simple and works well, so I'm gonna stick with it for some time - possibly changing from switch_root to pivot_root if I need a better backup plan (switch_root after setting up overlay direct access to stored files because the old root in which it was mounted does not exist anymore, so I can't just go there and undo all changes with simple rm -rf *)
ulfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Well, it's a sort of idea that comes back and again. Apparently many people need something like that but nobody actually reached "production" with his work (yes, including me).
I use different approach though: overlayfs.
I have a few machines running in diskless mode with static system compressed into squashfs (copied to RAM during boot) and an rw ramdisk mounted on top of it, so I can even update or install new software (at cost of increased memory consumption, so it's more of a quick, temporary fix than a way to keep going for years). This approach it extremely simple and works well, so I'm gonna stick with it for some time - possibly changing from switch_root to pivot_root if I need a better backup plan (switch_root after setting up overlay direct access to stored files because the old root in which it was mounted does not exist anymore, so I can't just go there and undo all changes with simple rm -rf *)

Hello,

If you make frequent changes to your system and wish to keep it closer to a normal day-to-day computer, then you should try playing a bit with dockers and maybe implement one in your system. I think you will find fascinating how many options and mobility your system will get.

Christos.K
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: