Can No Longer Stop xdm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagdpanther
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Can No Longer Stop xdm Reply with quote

I don't do this often so don't know how long ago this started, but I can no longer stop xdm:

from the console (after a <ctrl><alt><f1> to get out of X)

Code:
# /etc/init.d/xdm stop
 * Caching service dependencies ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       [ ok ] * Stopping xdm ...
 * start-stop-daemon: 1 process refused to stop
 * Error stopping xdm                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     [ !! ] * ERROR: xdm failed to stop

kill <pid of xdm> did not work.

kill -9 <pid of xdm>
and
kill -9 <pid of /usr/bin/X>

appeared to work, so to check untill I pressed
<ctrl><alt-f7> Which locked up my keyboard and mouse on a blank black screen. I have no other system handy to try to ssh into the system so I rebooted.

This issue is consistant. Any ideas?
(I wanted to shutdown X before emerging a newer nvidia-driver.)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't kill -9
saturnalia0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Please don't kill -9

This kills the process /s
Section_8
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you anything in /var/log/Xorg.0.log when it was shutting down?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saturnalia0 wrote:
Naib wrote:
Please don't kill -9

This kills the process /s
It obliterates the process...

it leaves sockets open, files handles open, any children are then inherited by PID1 ...
kill -9 is VERY VERY rarely needed
You try kill -15, then kill -2 then kill -1. If the process is STILL not terminated you submit a bug report upstream because the process is buggy-as. THEN if you know you will be rebooting in the short term (ie next couple of hours) you might consider kill -9

https://turnoff.us/geek/dont-sigkill/
Hu

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not quite accurate. When a process terminates, whether voluntarily or by fatal signal, the kernel will close any open file descriptors. If no surviving process has a reference to the socket/file, then that closes the underlying resource. However, this can still cause data loss, because any application data that was buffered in userspace is lost. There is no need to plan for a reboot after a kill -9, but you may need to perform manual cleanup of any resources that a graceful exit would have cleaned for you (e.g. finalizing journals for database systems, resetting window state if you kill the window manager, resetting the screen if KMS does not clean it for you after you kill X, etc.).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: