grub-install and grub-mkconfig calling: info
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: grub-install and grub-mkconfig calling: info Reply with quote

Hi all, my new Gentoo installation (UEFI, lvm; grub2; os-prober to find other Linux OS installed in my four SSD disks) does perfectly work. Only a problem: when I run " grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi bootloader-id=GENTOO " or " grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg ", I get success, but simultaneously I receive a long sequence of rows saying: " calling: info ". Where do they come from? How to avoid their unpleasant presence? I uninstalled and reinstalled grub:2, searched in our forums and also googled, but didn't find anything useful.
I'm sure some more experienced and kind user will be able to help me. While waiting: many thanks!
Giorgio Cittadini
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I was very fortunate: I found the solution!

I considered that the problem probably was in device detection. Searching in @world I found that virtual-udev-217 and eudev where both installed. So, I tried "emerge -C virtual/udev && emerge sys-fs/eudev", but when I tried "emerge --depclean" I found that many packages required virtual/udev, and in fact updating the system it was automatically reinstalled together with grub:2.

Then I did "emerge -C sys-fs/eudev" (thus removing eudev from @world), and again "emerge -1 sys-fs/eudev". I rebooted, and found that now grub-install and grub-mkconfig did work without the unpleasant "calling: info".

It was a try and repeat solution, but the initial consideration of something involving the udev/eudev interplay was correct. I would be grateful if someone could explain me the difference between virtual/udev and sys-fs/udev.

Anyhow, many thanks, to all the Gentoo users that have considered my problem!
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giocitta wrote:
It was a try and repeat solution, but the initial consideration of something involving the udev/eudev interplay was correct. I would be grateful if someone could explain me the difference between virtual/udev and sys-fs/udev.

giocitta ... virtual/udev doesn't provide any 'udev', it is, as then name suggests, a 'virtual' package that pulls in one of sys-fs/eudev, sys-fs/udev, or sys-apps/systemd as a provider. So, removing the package won't effect the operation of eudev, your issue must have been something that required a rebuild of sys-fs/eudev.

best ... khay
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi khayyam,

thanks for your explanation. In fact, I noticed that as soon as I unmerged virtual/udev (but it was automatically reinstalled after updating), everything took again its correct role: probably "the correct interaction with eudev" was restored. Anyhow, I then unmerged eudev so to pull it out of @world, and then I reemerged it with --oneshot option. Many thanks again.

Giorgio Cittadini
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giocitta wrote:
thanks for your explanation. In fact, I noticed that as soon as I unmerged virtual/udev (but it was automatically reinstalled after updating), everything took again its correct role: probably "the correct interaction with eudev" was restored. Anyhow, I then unmerged eudev so to pull it out of @world, and then I reemerged it with --oneshot option. Many thanks again.

giocitta ... you're welcome. In the future you can use '--deselect' for removing atoms from the world file.

best ... khay
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New PC (more advanced, with Asus Prime Z720-A motherboard, i7-7700K, GeForce GTX 1050ti graphic card), new Gentoo installation in the first SSD, and Debian installation in the second. Both are UEFI.

With Gentoo, the old problem of grub-2.02 [ grub-install and grub-mkconfig repeating many times "calling: info", but at the end working correctly ] is again back.

The preceding solution (de- re-install of virtual/udev and sys-devel/eudev) doesn't work. I tried to reinstall grub-2.02, udev, and eudev (also back- and upgrading): useless.

I'm desperate, also because in Debian and in my other similar PC starring gentoo everything is OK.
I would be much obliged to receive suggestions about what to do to eliminate this unpleasant event.

Giorgio Cittadini
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
how it's easy to understand, I didn't resign myself... I made many experiments, trying and retrying on other PCs with Gentoo but with only HHDs. So I came to the conclusion that the problem is inherent to the presence of the four Samsung 750/850 evo SSDs I have in my PC. I tried to optimize them following the specific Gentoo wiki, but the problem kept itself alive.
Everything is OK when I use Debian 9, so I think there is something incomplete in the way Gentoo handles the SSDs.
Furthermore, if in the PC under consideration I substitute SSDs with HDDs, everything is again OK.
I would like to hear what the gurus do think of my conclusion, and if there are any suggestions on what to do. I am sufficiently free at the moment to go on following carefully their suggestions.
Thanks for the help.
zpah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: grub-install and grub-mkconfig calling: info Reply with quote

You have eudev debug logging enabled by udev_log="debug" (man 5 udev.conf).
Set udev_log="info" in /etc/udev/udev.conf and messages 'calling: info' disappears.

Good luck.
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: grub-install and grub-mkconfig calling: info Reply with quote

zpah wrote:
Set udev_log="info" in /etc/udev/udev.conf and messages 'calling: info' disappears.

Good luck.

OK! Thanks.
regaleali
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: grub-install and grub-mkconfig calling: info Reply with quote

zpah wrote:

I had the same "problem" appearing in a stable amd64 eudev system I'd been upgrading over the years.
Setting udev_log="info" solved it.

Thanks +1
giocitta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: grub-install and grub-mkconfig calling: info Reply with quote

regaleali wrote:
zpah wrote:

I had the same "problem" appearing in a stable amd64 eudev system I'd been upgrading over the years.
Setting udev_log="info" solved it.

Thanks +1

Done and all OK!
Thanks
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: