Gentoo forums is ipv4-only.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Gentoo forums is ipv4-only. Reply with quote

Hi,

Due to an odd error this morning, I discovered that https://forums.gentoo.org is ipv4-only. I wonder if it would be a simple fix to make this not be the case?

This morning my router showed that it had an ipv6 address but not an ipv4 address. I could get to places like facebook and anything google-owned, and mainstream news sites, but not to github or pretty much every site I need access to to do my job. Pretty much EVERY Linux forum I'm a member of was inaccessible from an ipv6-only system.

Thanks.
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can open a bug report at https://bugs.gentoo.org/ under Gentoo Infrastructure / Forums and request IPv6 connectivity for the forums.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. Thanks.
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@1clue: you forgot to link to the bug report you filed... Here is the link: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=617478 :)
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Not sure if this is correct, but it seems that all that would be needed is for an AAAA record to be added to the dns. The ipv6 version of the gentoo forums IP address would be ::204.187.15.12, or ::CCBB:0F0C
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a valid IPv6 address on the public internet (2000::/3).
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine most of the world is still ipv4. I know I don't even get ipv6 service yet. (shakes fist at ISP...)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.subnetonline.com/pages/subnet-calculators/ipv4-to-ipv6-converter.php

Click "ipv6 condensed" for the hexadecimal version, click "ipv6 alternative" for the other. Then type in an ipv4 address you want to convert.

The 2000::/3 range is for IPV6 addresses allocated as IPV6. IPV4 addresses are reachable from ipv6 by right-justifying the bits into an ipv6 address space, zero filled.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
I imagine most of the world is still ipv4. I know I don't even get ipv6 service yet. (shakes fist at ISP...)

If you have a cell phone, you have an ipv6 address. It does not matter if it's a smart phone or not. Go to google, then search on "what's my ip address" while not connected to wifi.

If you're not on a smart phone, text to 466453, which is google. Charges may apply depending on your contract. I have no idea if this still works as I have not had a dumb phone for almost 2 decades now.

If you have a recent model car, you almost certainly have several ipv6 addresses, at least one of which can be reached from the outside.

Your ISP almost certainly uses IPV6 for non-edge routing. Mine denied having IPV6 availability when asked, but I kept seeing IPV6 come up and then drop again, so I knew they were messing with it. I told them I wanted to be an early adopter, and while the tech support denied even having such a program he promised to pass the request up to his superiors. It must have got through, because the allocations started happening much more frequently, along with weirdness with network connectivity associated with their not doing things right. Finally they announced support and I've had it ever since, at least all the times I bothered to check.

IPV6 was actually forced onto most of the world by the USA. IPV4 is managed (or at least it was at the time) by the USA. We (or the @$$#073$ in charge of IP address allocation) played favorites, giving allies larger blocks and being very skimpy with everyone else. Finally east Asia rebelled and started working the kinks out of ipv6. Much of the early HOW-TO documentation on it was in Japanese. Edit: In case it's not already obvious, I feel that the people managing IPV4 addresses did the USA and its allies a disservice by playing favorites. We're the last ones on the boat, so to speak.

As for this bug I found, I suspect now that I had an IPV4 dns server as my "first-in-line" dns, and that may have messed things up. I would think that a properly configured IPV6-only host should make a request to an IPV6-enabled dns, which would first check for ipv6 and then fall back to ipv4, and return an ipv6 equivalent of the ipv4 address. I have not yet found documentation saying that's how it actually works though.
Zucca

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
If you have a cell phone, you have an ipv6 address. It does not matter if it's a smart phone or not. Go to google, then search on "what's my ip address" while not connected to wifi.
My mobile connection is behind my ISPs NAT. And my ISP uses ipv4 on the internet side too.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
IPV4 addresses are reachable from ipv6 by right-justifying the bits into an ipv6 address space, zero filled.

Those are compatibility addresses for userspace APIs. You can see for yourself with wireshark they never leave the kernel as IPv6 packets. Do you actually have a 0::/96 route via your ISP, or even in your local routing table?
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
1clue wrote:
My mobile connection is behind my ISPs NAT. And my ISP uses ipv4 on the internet side too.

Yes, if you're using ipv4-only on your PC then everything appears to be entirely ipv4 all the way through. And if you're using ipv6 you can google "what's my ipv4 address" and get the address it appears you're coming from to ipv4-only remote hosts.

I'm not sure if the way my ISP did it involved a 4-6-4 tunnel, or if it had some other kind of magic, or if it was simply networking gear with the ipv6 features turned on one step at a time. I would have thought the last.

Speaking to the tech support guy during my outage, he said they don't even have a way to turn ipv4 off, but they can turn off ipv6 for a customer if it causes them too much grief. IMO the client can do it at their own firewall, but whatever.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on mobile network too. Natted, IPv4 only.
Quite funny, ppp is the only interface I have where ipv6 is not active. The others (and I do have a bunch of those) come up with link-local ipv6 by default.
Quote:
IMO the client can do it at their own firewall, but whatever.
but people are stupid and it's sometimes easier not to notice. You know what I mean.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
I am on mobile network too. Natted, IPv4 only.
Quite funny, ppp is the only interface I have where ipv6 is not active. The others (and I do have a bunch of those) come up with link-local ipv6 by default.

Curious, are you in the USA? I've tested this in several states in the USA, and in a few places in Colombia. Haven't been elsewhere since I became curious about this. Everyone I've mentioned it to so far has shown what I said to be true for them, in various cities and rural areas. I make a statement about it here and suddenly there are all sorts of exceptions.

Quote:
Quote:
IMO the client can do it at their own firewall, but whatever.
but people are stupid and it's sometimes easier not to notice. You know what I mean.

Yeah. It's especially obvious on the Raspberry Pi group on Facebook.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in central Europe.
The back-bone network developed around the universities could surely handle that kind of traffic, but there is the last mile's problem again.
It's a really strange problem, considering we already have wires we could reuse.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last mile: Depends on what speed your current network is at IMO.

I think that ISPs replace their equipment at least every 5 years or so. With lightning strikes, construction, flooding (underground), storm damage (above ground) and the rest, and then add capacity increases and speed increases, that last mile where I live is obsolete and in rough shape anyway. My switches and routers take surges or lightning hits and die in no longer than about 4 years I think, and that's with a pretty heavy-duty battery backup just for the network gear.

Obviously ipv6 cares not one bit what sort of wires it uses, but bandwidth does. And the routers I've had for the last 10 years or so have all been ipv6-enabled, and every computer currently in use in my house had ipv6 enabled automatically. Exceptions:

1. Printer
  2. TVs
  3. Blu-rays
  4. Video streaming set-top boxes (roku, etc) I'm not sure about.

FWIW I'm surprised that anything here would still be ipv4-only, the stuff isn't that old. Frankly I've been hoping to make the house single-stack sometime soon, if I can get it to work. Unfortunately that probably means a dual stack router with a bridge on it. That said I've actively looked for ipv6-compatible network gear since it started rolling out, so there's probably still switch/router equipment being sold that's ipv4-only.

I wish they'd get it over with already.
Aiken
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
Zucca wrote:
1clue wrote:

Yes, if you're using ipv4-only on your PC then everything appears to be entirely ipv4 all the way through. And if you're using ipv6 you can google "what's my ipv4 address" and get the address it appears you're coming from to ipv4-only remote hosts.

What Zucca said sounds like what happens in Australia. When using data on my mobile phone I get allocated a 10.x.x.x address from the telco and any what is my ip service will only show the ipv4 address of which ever telco run NAT server I am going through at the time. Exactly the same behaviour when using back up mobile phone which is on another carrier. This is both Telstra and Optus.

The only time I have seen an ipv6 address on my mobile phone when connected to my home network which has been dual stack for many years.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: