Deniable Encryption using Luks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irenicus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Deniable Encryption using Luks Reply with quote

I've heard in the past that it is possible to have a setup using luks where the header would reside on a removable media along with the boot partition and the hard drive would make use of full disk encryption with not even the luks header residing in it..thus giving the option of plausible deniability.

How can I get a setup like that, to be more specific..how do I move luksHeader onto a removable media and patch grub in a way so that they work as expected.

Thanks
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When creating a new luks mapping, you can simply pass the '--header /path/to/luks-header' option to cryptsetup, I hate to 'RTFM' you, but I do suggest reading the cryptsetup manual, pretty much everything you need to know about it is in there.

As for grub, no patching is necessary, you can simply follow the standard bootloader install guide in the handbook, the differences being /boot will be on a usb device, the same device you'll want to install the boatloader itself onto, with / still being on your old hard drive.

Grub can work, syslinux is another bootloader more often used for booting from usb.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: