View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: general question on kde-apps stability Reply with quote

I'm still in the process of migrating from KDE4 to Frameworks and Plasma. Much of it was held back for me due to one app (kmymoney) which required the old kdepimlibs until very recently. I've finally managed to get rid of all the old kdepim related stuff, and have started emerging the new apps. However, I thought I had reached the point where I could stick mostly to stable (amd64) apps, and need a decreasing number of testing versions. However, for several kde-apps (kcontacts, kidentitymanagement, kontactinterface, for example) the previous stable 16.12.3 ebuilds have been removed from portaged, and only the 17.04.0 testing versions (not counting 9999 versions) are available. Is there any general explanation for why the previous stable versions were removed before the next versions are marked stable? I'm trying not to complain, but to understand. For now, I'm just leaving the older stable versions installed, but if there is some particular reason those ebuilds were pulled, I'd like to know about it. (If the problem is simply that my search skills are missing something which should be obvious, please just point me in the right direction. Thanks.)

Jack
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has never been a stable version of those packages that you listed. Stable KDE PIM in Gentoo is still at slot 4: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/KDE#Available_versions_3

genterminl wrote:
Much of it was held back for me due to one app (kmymoney) which required the old kdepimlibs until very recently.

Using kmymoney was perfectly possible all the time though, see the wiki link.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - I suppose that once the old ebuild is removed, if I've also removed any entry from package.keywords, then I can't tell if the previous version was stable or not, at least without digging into portage's cached data. Oh well, I'll just either put up with more keywording, or wait a bit longer for some more packages.

Regarding kmymoney, I've always had it installed (if not several versions installed in various corners to test). My point was that its hard dependency on kdepimlibs was only recently removed for the 4.8 line, so I at least have a chance of trying the frameworks versions of calendar and contact list. The frameworks version of kmymoney is coming along, but is not quite ready for formal release.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, either you are on stable - then kmymoney's kdepimlibs dependency has never been a problem.
Or you use unstable packages - then I don't understand the purpose of this thread. ;) 4.8.0 with optional USE=pim was added on 25 Nov 2016.

If you want to add KDE PIM 17.04.0 to package.keywords and keep the rest at stable, then you could pick the kde overlay's kdepim-17.04 set file and create a package.keywords file out of it.

genterminl wrote:
Hmm - I suppose that once the old ebuild is removed, if I've also removed any entry from package.keywords, then I can't tell if the previous version was stable or not, at least without digging into portage's cached data.

No stable version would be removed before a newer version has been stabilised.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you suspect, I am indeed mixing stable (most of the system) and testing (more than just a few.) I do understand that I get to pick up the pieces - I've been getting lots of practice with that....

For KMyMoney, I've been using it since KDE3. After using versions prior to pim being optional, I tested without pim from git when it became possible, then used the -pim flag. While I sometimes use the available ebuilds, I more commonly compile from git, to test both the 4.8 branch and the 5.0 (Frameworks) progress. I also have a way to have both versions installed (but not running) at the same time.

You are also correct, I started this thread based on misreading/misunderstanding/misremembering. "eix package" does not show the "~" on the "Installed versions:" line, so if that vesrion is no longer in portage, it's not immediately obvious whether it is stable or testing. I posted before taking the time to figure it out correctly.

Thanks for the responses, and sorry for the noise.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genterminl wrote:
Thanks for the responses, and sorry for the noise.

No need to, I bet more users will be confused about 16.12.3 apps vs. 17.04.0 PIM, so that information is recorded for them in here.

Thanks to Google, a vanilla kmail-17.04.0 wouldn't even be able to imap sync anymore from their servers (already patched in Gentoo), makes the decision to drop 16.12.3 early even more sweet. At some point though one will have to give in, and accept 'that's it' what we get declared as stable.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: