Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] mate-terminal won't start, due to ancient cruft?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:25 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] mate-terminal won't start, due to ancient cruft? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been having a problem getting mate-terminal to run. Even thought I have the latest version available for ~amd64 (mate-terminal-1.16.1-r2), mate-terminal seems to be looking for what should be ancient libraries, and when it can't find them, refuses to start. For instance:
Code:
djhyland@araucaria ~ $ mate-terminal
mate-terminal: error while loading shared libraries: libvte.so.9: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Obviously, no current builds in the Portage tree provide such an old library. In what is at best a foolish move, I downloaded a RHEL6-era .rpm that provides the library in question, extracted the libvte.so.9* files, and moved them to my /usr/lib64/ directory. (Don't worry, I backed up my computer before doing so, and I removed them afterwards.) When I tried running mate-terminal again, I got a similar message, only this time it was looking for libmateconf-2.so.4. After downloading two more .rpms (for libmateconf-2.so.4 and libMateCORBA-2.so.0), I no longer got a shared libraries error, but this instead:
Code:
Failed to summon the MateConf demon; exiting.  Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for MateCORBA, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/docs:mate-conf for information. (Details -  1: GetIOR failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.mate.MateConf was not provided by any .service files)

As I've found, MateConf is no longer a part of the current versions of the Mate desktop, and that it was dropped in Mate 1.6. (The link in the error message is no help, it just describes what MateConf was.) Mate-terminal shouldn't need this package to start, nor should it need any of the far-out-of-date libraries that I hacked into my system. I have been running Mate since the earliest days of the project, starting with version 1.2 or so and updating to the current version, but these old requirements should have disappeared during the updates. As far as I can tell, mate-terminal is the only application this affects; the rest of my Mate programs work fine.

Really, this is more of a nagging frustration than a real inconvenience: all of the other terminal emulators I've tried work fine and serve well for my needs. It's just a problem I've been attempting to solve from time to time through the years but have never actually solved. Other than the ill-advised .rpm method, I've tried re-emerging all of the Mate components (including using the -e and the --noconfmem options) and deleting all the mate-terminal configuration files I can find on my system, but nothing's fixed it yet. Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by djhyland on Wed May 03, 2017 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally this is what

Code:
# revdep-rebuild # in app-portage/gentoolkit

is meant to try to fix. However recent versions of portage should not have let this break... which is quite odd.

So you haven't tried to re-emerge x11-terms/mate-terminal? Also make sure you're running the system installed copy and not in /usr/local/bin or something else you may have copied binaries to?

Code:
$ which mate-terminal

You might also want to re-merge
Code:
# emerge -1 x11-libs/vte
as well. Particularly look at vte-0.29.2-r208 since that still seems to provide libvte.so.9.
djhyland
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Also make sure you're running the system installed copy and not in /usr/local/bin or something else you may have copied binaries to?

Code:
$ which mate-terminal

That's it!
Code:
djhyland@araucaria ~ $ which mate-terminal
/usr/local/bin/mate-terminal

It looks like somewhere along the line, the package got installed there and my system's been looking there ever since. Upon deleting it, I get:
Code:
djhyland@araucaria ~ $ which mate-terminal
/usr/bin/mate-terminal

This looks good. Unfortunately, when I try to start mate-terminal, I get:
Code:
/usr/local/bin/mate-terminal: No such file or directory

However, when I put a link in /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin/mate-terminal, the program starts up properly. I'll take it!

Thank you so much, eccerr0r!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Also keep note that /usr/bin should already be in your path:
Code:
$ echo $PATH

and it shouldn't be necessary to link /usr/bin/mate-terminal to /usr/local/bin/mate-terminal. But you probably didn't restart your terminal session and your shell interpreter (bash) cached the location in /usr/local/bin to save CPU cycles back when path walks were "expensive" -- to fix this you just need to run:
Code:
$ hash -r

and it should now pick up the new location in the path. You could also restart the shell, or logout and log back in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: