Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
AM4 Mobos used for Ryzen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What AM4 motherboard do you use. Actually use, not want.
Asus
40%
 40%  [ 48 ]
MSI
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Gigabyte
21%
 21%  [ 25 ]
Asrock
16%
 16%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 118

Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Torn between the ASUS Prime X570-Pro and the ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus
The gaming board has more features but is $100 cheaper, but I look at that all black board and can't see much. Bad cataracts. It would be a bear finding were to plug things in. I have an older all black board but it has red connectors. Easy to find.
Anyone owning either of these care to comment?

My latest box has the TUF Gaming board. I haven't see the other board, so I can't compare, but I'd guess the main issue someone with restricted vision would have is with the small plugs - extra USB, sound and LEDs and the like - the printing is very small, and the diagrams in the book that comes with the board aren't very good, though they are comprehensive. I found the first chapter is essentially a reference telling you where each connector is on the MB, but the second chapter is the one that gives the logical sequence to put the components and connectors in place. At least, that's my memory - I don't have the book to hand now. It's a typical work that was written in a foreign language and then translated to English - as I say, comprehensive, but not always clear.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the prime x570-pro, good board, as far as plugging stuff in ... I cheat, I lay the case on it's side and have a lamp shining from above :lol:
I also have several pairs of "reading glasses" with increasing strength, helps for things like this.
sdauth
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poe_1957 wrote:
@ sdauth
I cannot speak about Chrome but firefox and Libreoffice (10min) are VERY fast on Ryzen 9 12 cores (1TB M2 and 32GB RAM) so it will even faster on 16 real cores. It takes more time to configure it for compiling than the compiling time itself. I used to compile libreoffice 2 days on my old intel core i5 Lenovo laptop with ssd.
So if you can afford it go for it ! it is faster than any intel processor I know. And no below zero temp cooling as with Intel. It runs at 60°C But do not forget to update your BIOS. The build bios is faulty on ALL motherboards: so UPDATE!

Thanks. Well anyway, I don't use chromium. (even Firefox as it depends on rust, nodejs..)
I'm surprised when you say two days to compile Libreoffice on a i5, I need 4 hours on my AMD A10.. Even my old Xeon X5460 (released in 2007!) needs around 7 hours.. :o
That said, I'm still looking to upgrade but there isn't a single good X570 Micro-ATX board available. Last time I checked the only choice (with X570 chipset) was an Asrock one.
So I hope that with the new Ryzen 4000 series, there will be more choice.

Last edited by sdauth on Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
My Asus Prime X570-Pro has been rock solid since I got it at launch... and despite the cheaper price, it has more room for expansion than the TUF board, though the TUF board has some more built-ins (wifi, bluetooth, etc).

And I assume that every component is supported by some kernel. Going with the prime X570-Pro. Ordered a case yesterday, two came into stock.
Planning on Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600, is that what you are using? I don't game but I want those emerge's to fly.
CPU will be 3900X
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

Edit to add: I bought the G.Skill ripjaws f4-3600C16D32gvkc (amd says they work with the ryzen) and it's been rock solid, I don't do any overclocking though.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
It's a typical work that was written in a foreign language and then translated to English - as I say, comprehensive, but not always clear.

I don't understand why these companies don't just hire an American born second generation college student to translate documentation. The ones I know seem fluent in both and being from technical families understand what is being translated. Of course I only understand the the English part, but when I hear them speaking with their parents it certain sounds fluent. Alas, I don't understand a word. I asked a friend from Shanghai to teach me how to say "Good Morning" in Mandarin. She tried but would giggle whenever I said it. She told me, "I understand what you are trying to say, but no one else would."
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
https://www.amd.com/en/products/ryzen-compatible-memory/ready-for-3rd-gen-amd-ryzen

Edit to add: I bought the G.Skill ripjaws f4-3600C16D32gvkc (amd says they work with the ryzen) and it's been rock solid, I don't do any overclocking though.
Hmmm. The Corsair 2x8 kit is there but not the 2x16. I'll have to take another look at G. Skill

EDIT:
G. Skill is hynix, Corsair is samsung. Have to delve into that farther.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:

Hmmm. The Corsair 2x8 kit is there but not the 2x16. I'll have to take another look at G. Skill

When looking at the number f4-3600c16 is a speed/cl descriptor and the rest is pkg/size of memory

For me, the qvc listed a 4 pack of 16 as good, but where I bought them got 2 (2 pack 16) which is effectively the same thing and the timings are the same.

Edit to add: Over time you will see that G.Skill will use different vendors for their memory chips, the same for all others, it's common in the industry.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Edit to add: Over time you will see that G.Skill will use different vendors for their memory chips, the same for all others, it's common in the industry.
Except Crucial uses their own. I've almost always had Crucial (or Ballistix which is Crucial) but they don't seem to quite match the others on Ryzen. And 'm furious with them right now. I ordered some memory to upgrade a old laptop. They shipped it promptly but used UPS. It took a week for them to get it from Texas to the Chicago suburbs, and then UPS turned it over to the Postal service (when they had it ten miles from me) and informed me it will take another 3 to 7 days for delivery. I've had shipments direct from China and south Korea take less time. The Chicago suburbs aren't exactly off in the wilderness. Crucial won't even let me log in now, claiming my e-mail address is "not a valid e-mail address". If it's not here by next Wednesday, I'm complaining to Paypal.

EDIT: Arrived today. Packaging said DDR4 32Gig kit. I was d3elighted but didn't know if they would work because the mobo takes DDR3.
Inserted them. Speccy (Windows) identified it as DDR3 8G as ordered. Sysrescued showed 7.9G free. Rebooted into MEMtest which also shows DDR3 8G

So just in the wrong box. What has happened to Crucial? At least one hour into memtest temperature has stabilized at 64C and no errors logged.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit the bullet and ordered all the parts: Asus x570-Prime Pro (most expensive mobo I ever bought!), Asus Strix 550W PS, WD Gold 6TB hard drive, WD 1TB NVME with heat sink (wavered between this and Samsung EVO, decided on this because the board had has two NVME slots anyway), the Phanteks case, a Gigabyte GT 1030 video card (at the last minute the cheap Radeon went out of stock) and a last minute switch to G.Skill Trident 2x16G kit because it was on the list that Anon-a-moose kindly posted. I have lots of wireless mice around, but I need either a KVM switch or to steal the old Microsoft keyboard and the new nice 25" monitor from the old computer. Think I might get a KVM switch and still get a new keyboard. If not, I have a 22" television with both DVI and HDMI inputs from my brother-in-law. I could use that for the old computer, but I'm thinking of co-locating them as I have some video editing software that won't work on wine OR virtualbox. Too embedded in Windows innards i guess.

I hadn't considered the Asus power supply but the Tom's hardware review says it's the Seasonic Focus Gold (a good supply) with beefed-up heat sinks (always good) and a second 8-pin mobo connector. On-line debates about whether the second connector is really needed if you aren't overclocking with some saying it won't boot without it. Whatever. I got the Asus PS to go with the Asus mobo. it's got the right connections, Seasonics' web calculator says my max power draw is 349W so a 550W supply is ideal. (have I mentioned that I don't game and can barely see SD television?) I paid $40 more than the EVGA or Seasonics, but two were in stock and c'est la vie!
The Asus and Seasonics are both only semi-modular but the only permanent cables are the 24 pin and (both for Asus) the 8 pin CPU connector(s). I need them anyway. What I didn't want is a non-modular like my Phom build that has a mess of PCIe power cables attached that I don't use. BTW, that is a 500W supply for a 125W TDP CPU and three hard drives, two 7200 and one 10,000, plus two television cards. BTW, that's another reason to keep the old computer. I have to use XP to run the video card that takes direct video/audio inputs as the software that ran it on Gentoo has left the tree and it needs a old version of perl that left the tree plus maybe other old software. The XP software is still running.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
saellaven wrote:
My Asus Prime X570-Pro has been rock solid since I got it at launch... and despite the cheaper price, it has more room for expansion than the TUF board, though the TUF board has some more built-ins (wifi, bluetooth, etc).

And I assume that every component is supported by some kernel. Going with the prime X570-Pro. Ordered a case yesterday, two came into stock.
Planning on Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600, is that what you are using? I don't game but I want those emerge's to fly.
CPU will be 3900X

Everything works on the board...

I've got an overclocked 3700X with 32GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz CL16 DDR4 DRAM (Ryzen chips and RAM availability when I bought it last summer was tight).

The speed is insane compared to my old FX-8350, I've had no system stability issues, and I'm using the stock cooler (the wraith prism) with the CPU barely breaking a sweat during heavy compiles.

I'm currently on the 1405 BIOS (just too lazy to bother with 1407 right now).
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

CPU will be 3900X

That's what I have.

I use the supplied cpu cooler - when running make -j24 against the kernel sources, I see 24 cores running at 4 GHz using the BIOS default speed settings, no heat problems.
The kit's in a Phantex case; that came with some device to couple loads of fans in, also water-cooling mounting brackets. I use none of them, just the two supplied fans plugged into the appropriate MB sockets. It tends to "whoosh" a bit as bigger bits of work come through, but not to any bad degree.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When getting a case (especially for the prime x570-pro) a case with a hole for a side fan is very important, if you want to use an nvme in nvme slot 1 (near the cpu).
Having the side fan drops the temps on the samsung nvme and the cpu ~5C (all in the same area)

saellaven, I have the 1405 and it works perfectly fine, ie rock solid, so I doubt I'll upgrade, at least for now.
The description for the 1407 only mentions stability and a couple of bios options, that seem to be more geared towards those overclocking their systems, I've left mine stock, for now and I also just use the wraith prism.

I moved up from an fx8320, so a little more than twice the performance (4/8 vs 8/16) and slightly higher base clock rate.

Overall I'm pretty impressed with amd this time.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
The kit's in a Phantex case; that came with some device to couple loads of fans in, also water-cooling mounting brackets. I use none of them, just the two supplied fans plugged into the appropriate MB sockets. It tends to "whoosh" a bit as bigger bits of work come through, but not to any bad degree.
PH-ES614P_WT which doesn't seem to be on their web site anymore.
Anon-E-moose wrote:
I moved up from an fx8320, so a little more than twice the performance (4/8 vs 8/16) and slightly higher base clock rate.
Moving up from Phenom II x6 so even greater boost. I see it's CPU rating is double that of my 2700X that I bought last year.
Case has no side fans but an open top with fan mounts. I had planned to cover that but might mount a fan if I have too. I'll watch for that problem, thanks.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

I have those (4x16G). They only run stable at 3400 but that might be the mobo's fault; it keeps getting BIOS updates for "memory compatibility". I'm mostly CPU-bottlenecked regardless.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:

I have those (4x16G). They only run stable at 3400 but that might be the mobo's fault; it keeps getting BIOS updates for "memory compatibility". I'm mostly CPU-bottlenecked regardless.

Are you using the XMP setting or manually setting the memory parms?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Ant P. wrote:
Tony0945 wrote:

Are you using the XMP setting or manually setting the memory parms?

Both, I turn XMP on then lower the multiplier from auto (36x) to 34x. It works at 3466 too but given the reliability problem I prefer some safety margin.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the parts came yesterday. Was disappointed that the DVD drive was OEM, not boxed. Last time I bought it for that price $19.95 it was boxed with screws and the flaps on the side. I think I don't need them for the Phanteks case. What a big bruiser it is!
My XP died the day before and I spent most of a day trying to repair it. Finally did a repair install. But none of my software was installed and there were no saved restore points. I know I had several.
On the good side my files are still there. I offloaded the e-mails and next I have to move to the real directory of "My Documents" and move it to another partition for retrieval into Linux. Spaces in file names will be the big problem there. The XP printing software was better than the Linux software, but I'll live with it. I haven't tried printing from Virtualbox XP yet. I'll probably have to switch from USB to wireless. The HP printers have two MAC addresses that try to connect to the network. I haven't figured out how to block them from internet access so I have wireless shut off. It wou;d be handier to print on either printer from any machine. The latest version of Virtualbox runs my video editing software, VideoRedo, previous versions just had a black viewing screen.
When the new machine is built I'll replace the upstairs dual-boot machine with single UEFI boot Gentoo running Virtual box. Oh, my MsMoney with 20 years of data was moved to the Gentoo server months ago. Oh! I just remembered, I have my brother-in-laws data file on the old machine. Have to move that off too.

The new machine will be handy for running Gemntoo and Virtual XP side by side with no dual booting. I'll start by cloning the 2700X box sans /home/tony and copy home/tony from the box it's replacing. It should work, right? As long as "tony" is the same numerical ID on both machines.

EDIT: That 3900X box is ginormous! I think it's bugger than the 2700X heatsink that barely fit. Hopefully, the X570 Prime mobo with accept it. if not, I have a bulldozer heatsink around somewhere.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't skimp on the cpu cooling, if the included cooler doesn't work (won't fit), I'd probably look at the water cooling options.
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

EDIT: That 3900X box is ginormous! I think it's bugger than the 2700X heatsink that barely fit. Hopefully, the X570 Prime mobo with accept it. if not, I have a bulldozer heatsink around somewhere.

Assuming you have the wraith prism cooler, like what came with my 3700X, it'll fit on the X570 Prime Pro... it didn't even really take much persuading.

It definitely is massive though.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:

The box is bigger than it need be; like all purveyors of very expensive small things, they put them in a very flashy box so you don't feel cheated.
As for cooling, my X570 TUF mobo has plenty of space for it, so I presume the Prime one will also fit the cpu range it was designed for :-). Water cooling? the 3900X consumes only a little over 100W. Mine sustains running 24 cpus at 4.1 GHz on air cooling, no problems - indeed the fans so far have only once, fleetingly, hit full speed. (It stops at 4.1 GHz 'cos I've not tried overclocking, not 'cos of any heating issue). 'Tis a bit noisy when they do.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp,
What CFLAGS do you use? The Phanteks case has three 140mm fans and an open top. However I'd like to close the top. I'd hate for someone to spill coffee on that expensive mobo!
I'm running the Phenom II (125W) with three hard drives, a top mounted Power Supply and two 80mm fans in the back. I had another 80mm fan in the front pulling air over the drive cage but it started screeching and I took it out.

Regarding the CFLAGS, someone in this thread (Anon-E-Moose?) posted some -mo<??> settings to keep the instruction set compatible with the 2700X. Or maybe instead of -march=native, I should set -march=znver1. It seems like heresy to not run native, but I'd like to be be to swap executables between the systems.

Lazy to not read the thread to but I just came in from a long time outside at 95 degrees (F of course, I wasn't roasting on a spit. I just felt that way!)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
Water cooling? the 3900X consumes only a little over 100W. Mine sustains running 24 cpus at 4.1 GHz on air cooling, no problems - indeed the fans so far have only once, fleetingly, hit full speed. (It stops at 4.1 GHz 'cos I've not tried overclocking, not 'cos of any heating issue). 'Tis a bit noisy when they do.

I've had mine get up to around 85°C running prime95, which is a bit too scary for my liking. With turbo mode disabled (and doing "normal" things, like make -j24) it's a lot more reasonable - around 60-70°.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my mb (Prime x570-pro) there are a few settings that affect how hot the cpu gets.

1st is what they call precision boost overdrive (turbo boost)
2nd is a tpu setting (allows for automatic overclocking, not as much as turbo boost, but it will raise the temps)
3rd is performance bias (again another overclock option, sort of).

For me turbo boost, off, tpu set to keep current settings and performance bias off my temps stay low,
At idle, cpu runs ~10C over the room temp. And at full throttle runs no more than ~60C, usually in the mid 50's.

Before I set the above I would see the cpu being driven over the max freq (occasionally) and the temps spiking and this was sometimes happening at idle.
I don't like that. So I adjusted the system for stability and stable temps.
I haven't noticed any performance hit from what I did and with normal usage, I don't think that most would.

Edit to add: The above might work on many of the asus mb's (x570 based ones anyway)
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to build a new system soon, a Zen-3 arch, at the moment I'm thinking Ryzen-7 3700X.

Finding the right motherboard is the problem. I've usually bought ASUS, long ago Tyan, and my most recent mobo is Asrock. But more recently I've seen that IT-87 is no longer in the regular kernel, and someone had suggested a different brand in order to avoid IT87. I just checked my cart on Newegg and see that I have an Asrock board there, so I must have given up on that advice.

Anyway on this thread I saw something about an out-of-tree IT87 driver, but don't find anything like that in the portage tree. That and searching also jogged a memory about an "asus_atk0110" driver, so I'm not sure how that fits in.

Can anyone comment about getting lm-sensors working with Ryzen boards, and if this should be driving my decision away from Asrock?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: