[SOLVED] ~/.config doesn't exist
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cerkan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] ~/.config doesn't exist Reply with quote

Hello

After I managed to finish my first gentoo installation. I decided to try other variations: different cflags systemd and wayland. Everything went fine but when I try to access weston.ini or sway.ini with "nano ~/.config/weston.ini" It says /root/.config directory does not exist. Things I did different from the first install are different kernel configuration, different USE flags and CFLAGS, I also did not install systemlogger and displaymanager.
Could anyone help me with this? I am fairly new to linux also I am not a native english speaker so go easy please.
Let me know if make.conf or kernel config is needed.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by cerkan on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
cboldt
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .config you are looking for has nothing to do with the kernel. The .config you are looking for is a directory that is used to contain various display/Wayland/Weston (and many other) configuration files.

The kernel .config file will be at /usr/src/[some_version]/.config

The Wayland/Weston config files will be at the users home directory, which for a regular user is /home/$USER, but for root is /root

The user "root" shouldn't be running X-Windows, which is, I believe, the platform where Wayland/Weston are most often used. Not that he (or she) can't, just shouldn't. If you have had a user other than "root" run X-Windows, that user's .config directory is at /home/$USER/.config
cerkan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I checked but it is not there either. and when I run "ls /home/myusername" there is nothing there.
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a hidden directory (starts with a dot). To "see" it you need to pass -a switch to ls for example.
sh:
ls -lhaF /home/$USER/
cboldt
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Files and directories that start with a dot are not shown by `ls`, but are shown by `ls -a`

Not saying your /home/myusername directory has a .config directory, just that `ls /home/myusername` would not show it even if it did exist.

I don't use Wayland/Weston, so I don't know what actions cause it to "naturally" make the entries in .config for those packages. This is the results of running `ls .config` from my /home/cboldt directory

Code:
cboldt@hypoid-2 [5] 55 /home/cboldt > ls .config
blueman                  gtk-2.0  htop         mc   piorekf  RibbonSoft  smplayer
google-googletalkplugin  gtk-3.0  libreoffice  ODA  psi      Skype       Trolltech.conf

You can see that several programs establish their configuration under the .config branch of my home directory.

What makes you want to edit weston.ini and/or sway.ini? I ask because I think your "problem" is something other than ability to find and edit a config file. What are you trying to run, that isn't running, or isn't running the way that you want it to?
cerkan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
ls -lhaF /home/ceyhun/
toplam 28K
drwxr-xr-x 3 ceyhun ceyhun 4,0K Nis 25 04:09 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root   root   4,0K Nis 24 22:50 ../
-rw------- 1 ceyhun ceyhun 1,8K Nis 26 01:44 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 ceyhun ceyhun  127 Nis 24 01:42 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r-- 1 ceyhun ceyhun  434 Nis 25 23:59 .bash_profile
-rw-r--r-- 1 ceyhun ceyhun  551 Nis 24 01:42 .bashrc
drwx------ 2 ceyhun ceyhun 4,0K Nis 18 20:53 .ssh/

.config still not there.

I launch weston and all I get is a black screen. mouse touchpad or keyboard shortcuts don't work. I can't quit so I have to poweroff manually.
I launch sway and I get a black screen with an arrow but I can't move the mouse and keyboard doesn't work.
I figured I could set/enable kb layouts, evdev, panel or other things.

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
marax_faraii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp /cat/proc/config.gz ~/ && gunzip ~/config.gz

This will only work if you have that enabled in the kernel but it's a default selected option so it most likely will be enabled.

<EDIT>
Apologies, I misread the OP and thought it was the kernel config that was missing

Last edited by marax_faraii on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
cboldt
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could be more help, but no Wayland/Weston/Sway experience here.

A few parting thoughts though: maybe there is a default *.ini file in /usr/share/doc/wayland*, that you just copy to a newly created /home/ceyhun/.config directory, and then edit to suit.

I suspect you can get out of what you think is a lockup - Ctl-Alt-F1 or Ctl-Alt-Esc

Wayland likely leaves some tracks in /var/log

Edit to add, I'd look for default config files in /usr/share/doc/weston* and /usr/share/doc/sway* too
Further, maybe some default config files in the /etc branch

Code:
find /etc -iname "*.ini"

Check man pages for default location of any global config/ini files

Edit to correct: Ctl-Alt-backspace is the combo to exit Weston

The little bit of research I've accomplished so far tells me that if `weston-launch` doesn't make .config and put in a weston.ini file, then you make all of that yourself. Easy enough to create the empty spaces, `mkdir /home/$USER/.config; nano /home/$USER/.config/weston.ini`

I don't know how much of that is done by the weston, wayland and sway ebuilds - sounds like none of it, and you, the user, is left to follow instructions.

Last edited by cboldt on Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: ~/.config doesn't exist Reply with quote

cerkan wrote:
Everything went fine but when I try to access weston.ini or sway.ini with "nano ~/.config/weston.ini" It says /root/.config directory does not exist.
Do not edit your user settings as root. ;)
~ there translates current user's home directory. And if it says it cannot find /root/.config, you're propably logged in as root.

Also use mkdir command to create the directory if it's missing.
cerkan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,
thank you all for all your help.
I created the directories needed, I found example sway config file through sway readme and copied it. I also copied example weston.ini from archwiki.

I haven't restarted yet but for the purposes of this thread I think the problem is solved.
Whether it works or not I decided to put my experience with wayland on hold until I learn more about linux in general.

So there is only one question left: How do I mark this solved?
Zucca
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerkan wrote:
So there is only one question left: How do I mark this solved?
Edit the first post's title. Put [SOLVED] there for example. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: