Install all fonts with one command line
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 am    Post subject: Install all fonts with one command line Reply with quote

Hello, i have question, is ti possible to install all fonts of media-fonts package category ? Or does it exist package containing all fonts ?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try with (not personally tested)
Code:
# emerge $(EIX_LIMIT=0 eix -# media-fonts/*)

khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
You can try with (not personally tested)
Code:
# emerge $(EIX_LIMIT=0 eix -# media-fonts/*)

fedeliallalinea, Fulgurance, et al ... I'm not sure that's such a good idea as it will also include packages such as media-fonts/infinality-ultimate-meta (and you probably want to use the 'truetype:interpreter-version=40' ... the default in =media-libs/freetype-2.7.x). You will also get a whole bunch of files in /etc/fonts/* that might prove difficult to manage, and/or provide conflicting font substitions. Also, you can't possibly need all those fonts ... given that some exist for the purposes of having a Urdu, Nepali, etc, localisation (whereas something like media-fonts/noto would be sufficent for any pdf, webpage, etc).

best ... khay
Fulgurance
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, media-fonts/noto would are be sufficient ?

I would like to install all fonts because i search specific font, but i don't remember names. I search console and terminal type fonts. And i would like to install many fonts for have large choice for write or make game ...
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulgurance wrote:
I would like to install all fonts because i search specific font, but i don't remember names. I search console and terminal type fonts. And i would like to install many fonts for have large choice for write or make game ...

If you have an image of the font, you can try to use one of online tool for match (e.g. this)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulgurance wrote:
Okay, media-fonts/noto would are be sufficient ?

Fulgurance ... media-fonts/noto would provide a font for situations in which, say, you have a pdf, or webpage, that uses Greek, Russian, or some other non-latin script language. So, for instance, if you go to wikipedia, on the left there is a section "languages" pointing to language specific portals, with a font like noto you should see all of these displayed correctly. Other unicode fonts may work also, but noto is, I think, more comprehensive. It does not provide all the fonts a document might expect (like common Adobe/MS fonts) for these you need something like media-fonts/corefonts or media-fonts/liberation-fonts ... see the section picking fonts in the gentoo wiki font page.

Fulgurance wrote:

Note that your "install many fonts for have large choice for write or make game[s]" is not how it works, fonts in a document (and I assume games are similar ITR) are generally descriptions and the font is then provided by the system. Some documents may have embeded fonts, or the system provides 'aliases' for font substitution, so having more fonts doesn't necessarily translate to a wider choice.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: