gentoo-sources 4.10.10 and crypto loop device
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbrezner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: gentoo-sources 4.10.10 and crypto loop device Reply with quote

hi!

i upgraded my kernel to gentoo-sources-4.10.10 from -4.9.5 and now i'm unable to mount my crypto loop device. the command

Code:
loop-aes-losetup -e aes-256 /dev/loop0 /dev/md1

still works, i.e. leads to the prompt for password and creates the loop-device. but a subsequent mount attempt

Code:
mount /dev/loop0 /home

fails in hanging and leading to an error message saying sth like the device is not ok.

when i boot with my old gentoo-sources-4.9.5-kernel, everything works just fine.

i already updated to the latest util-linux and loop-aes-losetup versions but that didn't fix it.

what's new in kernel-4.10.x concerning loop/crypto/softwareraid what i didn't recognize so far?

any ideas?

thanks a lot in advance!
drbrezner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe to provide some useful information, here's the output from e2fsck (after i interrupt, first it hangs):

Code:
root ~ # /sbin/fsck.ext2 -C0 -y /dev/loop0
e2fsck 1.43.3 (04-Sep-2016)
^C[  555.080231] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 0, async page read
[  555.080252] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 1, async page read
[  555.080264] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 2, async page read
[  555.080276] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 3, async page read
[  557.232231] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 0, async page read
[  557.232236] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 1, async page read
[  557.232238] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 2, async page read
[  557.232239] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 3, async page read
^C/sbin/fsck.ext2: Der Versuch, einen Block vom Dateisystem zu lesen, endete in kurzem Lesen beim Versuch, /dev/loop0 zu öffnen
Könnte es eine Partion der Länge Null sein?

which says in german "...that the attempt to read a block from the file system ended in a short reading attempt while trying to open /dev/loop0. could it be a partition of size zero?"

The output of a mount attempt is as follows (again, first hangs, then after interruption):
Code:

root ~ # mount /dev/loop0 /home
^C[  723.661626] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 976758720, async page read
[  723.661900] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 976758721, async page read
[  723.662171] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 976758722, async page read
[  723.662485] Buffer I/O error on dev loop0, logical block 976758723, async page read

What do i need to change so that it also works with the new kernel gentoo-sources-4.10.x? with gentoo-sources-4.9.x and all versions below the commands work just fine.

Thanks again in advance!
drbrezner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with gentoo-sources-4.11.* -- does anyone have a clue how to solve this problem?
loeb-it
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in kernel crypto loop seems really to be broken. I have tried gentoo-sources-4.9.16 and gentoo-sources-4.12.12. I also have not found out (yet) what is causing this issue.

Well if it is just for accessing your data you can always disable the loopback device support in your kernel configuration. After rebuilding the kernel emerge sys-fs/loop-aes (you might have to add "sys-fs/loop-aes ~amd64" or similar to your package.keywords to do so). Then ensure that the module gets loaded (i.e. adding it to "/etc/modules-load.d/...") and use your cryptoloop images as usual.

Linux galadriel 4.12.12-gentoo #4 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 3 00:09:29 CET 2017 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QM CPU @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Visit www.mygnu.de
salahx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crytoloop driver is deprecated (and likely obsolete) anyway. Fortunately, Linux supports mounting existing cryptoloop volume via the device manager. Doing it directly via the device mapper, however, is far too painful. Fortunately we don't have to, the cryptsetup utility will handle it ( its part of sys-fs/cryptsetup )

To mount it:
Code:

cryptsetup open /dev/md1 --type loopaes home --key-file home-key.gpg

In reality, it'll probably give you an error an suggest an alternate syntax
Code:

gpg --decrypt home-key.gpg | cryptsetup open /dev/md1 --type loopaes home --key-file=-

Unfortunately, this will probably fail too, because gpg can't invoke the agent when you're runnning as root and the X seession isn't owned by root.
So, for the win:
Code:

sudo -v
gpg --decrypt home-key.gpg | sudo cryptsetup open /dev/md1 --type loopaes home --key-file=-

This requires the user who owns the X session have access to the keyfile, and access to sudo.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historically, gpg had no problems running from a root shell in a non-root Xorg server. You might have a problem if non-root environment variables leaked through and confused gpg-agent into thinking it would have GUI access. The fix for that is to invoke the root shell as a login shell, so that such variables do not leak in.
drbrezner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hint to use cryptsetup was the key to the solution. I made a bash script which is called by a systemd service. Since I dont't use a key file but a passphrase I added the prompt for the password:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

while [[ ! `/bin/mount | /bin/grep "/dev/mapper/home"` ]]; do

# home not mounted

# check if mapper exists and close mapper
        while [ -e "/dev/mapper/home" ]; do
                /sbin/cryptsetup close home
        done

# read passphrase
        read -s -p "Enter passphrase: " passphrase 

# create mapper
        echo $passphrase | /sbin/cryptsetup open /dev/md1 --type loopaes home --key-file=-

# cleanup passphrase
        unset passphrase

# file system check
        /sbin/fsck.ext2 -C0 -y /dev/mapper/home

# mount
        /bin/mount /dev/mapper/home /home

done

Works perfectly on gentoo-sources-4.13.12.

Thanks a lot!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: