Desktop security?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddragon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Desktop security? Reply with quote

what's a sensible level of security for a desktop configured with performance in mind?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lock down your web browser as far as you can tolerate. You can expect most Linux malware to target Ubuntu users, so be wary of random websites that only offer .debs. Don't run heavy GUI apps as root, and avoid like the plague anything that uses a web browser as a GUI (there's a growing number of them), because none of your normal browser's protection will apply there. And if you care about performance, those things are kryptonite anyway.

That should cover everything bar a targeted attack.
dpaddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: sandbox Reply with quote

I can't claim to understand whether this might make anything better, but I came across
Code:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Simple_sandbox
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume a smaller well tested desctop environment is the better use case. e.g. i3wm
when you look at kde you will see how many "open" bugs are in the open world. plasma this or that, this and that. especially kde has a high impact on this forum.

use only a few packages as possible.

do not carelessly start / enable daemons. configure all of those

use only well known software. not exotic, which have a smaller user base

my hdd is encrypted. so there is less a chance of someone tempering the disc when I am away

80 percent of gnome2 was not really needed for my desctop needs

--

Quote:
uses a web browser

The issue is more users not blocking known bad hosts. I add on a daily basis several hosts to the bad host file
known bad hosts => e.g. .online, .eu, .xyz (I never saw anything else as bad content on those endings), any facebook related host,

the issue is guys do not using plugins which restrict
*) media playback => annoying advertisements
*) flash is dangerous, there is a plugin which allows you to see it when you want it, click to run
*) scriptblocker
*) advanced adblocker
*) pop up blocker
*) auto download disable

--

i use 4 different browsers.

each browser for a different task. so there is still a profile, but less obvious linkable
dpaddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago I was of particular interest to some (people/bots/whatever), so looked into net-firewall/iptables...
saturnalia0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Don't run heavy GUI apps as root

I'd say don't run them as your regular user... https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Simple_sandbox

Don't run anything as root unless it's really necessary.
reddragon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks promising

https://github.com/projectatomic/bubblewrap

its available here

https://gpo.zugaina.org/sys-apps/bubblewrap
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Lock down your web browser as far as you can tolerate.

Could you elaborate a little? I use Firefox with noscript & ublock origin, I tend to watch video via mpv. This is more for aesthetics than lockdown, but curious as to the levels of lockdown.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NoScript is a good start. You might also want Policeman, which lets you define on a whitelist basis which domains can use content from other domains, including specifying on a per-content type basis (e.g. may include styles, but not embed images). Much like with NoScript, you should expect to do some work preparing a whitelist when you first activate it. Once you have the whitelists for your preferred sites done, you can mostly forget about it.

For anti-tracking, Self Destructing Cookies can arrange for cookies to be deleted when you close all the tabs associated with the cookie origin.
fcl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
NoScript is a good start. You might also want Policeman, which lets you define on a whitelist basis which domains can use content from other domains, including specifying on a per-content type basis (e.g. may include styles, but not embed images). Much like with NoScript, you should expect to do some work preparing a whitelist when you first activate it. Once you have the whitelists for your preferred sites done, you can mostly forget about it.

For anti-tracking, Self Destructing Cookies can arrange for cookies to be deleted when you close all the tabs associated with the cookie origin.

Policeman: Last Updated: January 18, 2015
I think uMatrix does everything Policeman does and better. I actually used Policeman until uMatrix became available to Firefox. An easier choise is to use just uBlock Origin and block 3rd party frames and scripts with it (advanced mode). It requires way less manual configuring.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using separate Firefox profiles for separate groups of websites, uMatrix in whitelist-only mode, SDC, and one other extension "Consistent HTTPS". I used to use HTTPS Everywhere but it's too bloated, RAM-hungry and slow to start - it would let http links slip through when the browser first starts.
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to try running it in a sandbox starting from scratch. Got SDC, Consistent HTTPS, NoScript, uMatrix, Watch with MPV & Vimperator, still need to set up my other profiles. Everything is peachy at the moment but I suspect only being able to save to /home/ff could become tiresome, time will tell.

Thanks for the tips guys.
fcl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to allow access to ~/Downloads for the sandboxed Firefox, depending on the sandbox implemention used
saturnalia0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proinsias wrote:
Decided to try running it in a sandbox starting from scratch. Got SDC, Consistent HTTPS, NoScript, uMatrix, Watch with MPV & Vimperator, still need to set up my other profiles. Everything is peachy at the moment but I suspect only being able to save to /home/ff could become tiresome, time will tell.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I usually save things to /tmp, though saving them to /home/ff + `chown -R ff:youruser /home/ff` + `find /home/ff | xargs -I'{}' chmod g+rwx "{}"` should work as well. The problem with saving to /tmp is that it has the sticky bit set, and even if you do `chmod -t /tmp` you'd have to do it every time you reboot.

PS If by any chance you're not happy with Vimperator I suggest taking a look at pentadactly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: