A 20 year Democrat gets actually woke: #WalkAway movement
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: A 20 year Democrat gets actually woke: #WalkAway movement Reply with quote

Quote:
You see, I was one of those Democrats who considered anyone who voted for Trump a racist. I thought they were horrible (yes, even deplorable) and worked very hard to eliminate their voices from my spaces by unfriending or blocking people who spoke about their support of him, however minor their comments. I watched a lot of MSNBC, was convinced that everything he had done was horrible, that he hated anyone who wasn’t a straight white man, and that he had no redeeming qualities.

But when I witnessed the amount of hate coming from the left in this small, niche knitting community, I started to question everything. I started making a proactive effort to break my echo chamber by listening to voices I thought I would disagree with. I wanted to understand their perspective, believing it would confirm that they were filled with hate for anyone who wasn’t like them.

That turned out not to be the case. The more voices outside the left that I listened to, the more I realized that these were not bad people. They were not racists, nazis, or white supremacists. We had differences of opinions on social and economic issues, but a difference of opinion does not make your opponent inherently evil. And they could justify their opinions using arguments, rather than the shouting and ranting I saw coming from my side of the aisle.

I started to discover (or perhaps rediscover) the #WalkAway movement. I had heard about #WalkAway when MSNBC told me it was fake and a bunch of Russian bots. But then I started to meet real people who had been Democrats and made the decision to leave because they could not stand the way the left was behaving. I watched town halls they held with different minority communities (all available in their entirety on YouTube), and I saw sane, rational discussion from people of all different races, backgrounds, orientations, and experiences.

I joined the Facebook group for the community and saw stories popping up daily of people sharing why they are leaving the Democratic Party. This wasn’t fake. These people are not Russian bots. Moreover, it felt like a breath of fresh air. There was not universal agreement in this group — some were Trump supporters, some weren’t — but they talked and shared their perspective without shouting or rage or trying to cancel each other.

I started to question everything. How many stories had I been sold that weren’t true? What if my perception of the other side is wrong? How is it possible that half the country is overtly racist? Is it possible that Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing, and had I been suffering from it for the past three years?

And the biggest question of all was this: Did I hate Trump so much that I wanted to see my country fail just to spite him and everyone who voted for him?

https://gen.medium.com/ive-been-a-democrat-for-20-years-here-s-what-i-experienced-at-trump-s-rally-in-new-hampshire-c69ddaaf6d07
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Bones McCracker
now you have 3 times the casualties of Vietnam.
Karlyn Borysenko wrote his opinion on Feb 11.
Please ask this guy again, because he wrote in February:

Quote:
As I left the rally—walking past thousands of people who were watching it on a giant monitor outside the arena because they couldn’t get in—I knew there was no way Trump would lose in November. Absolutely no way. I truly believe that it doesn’t matter who the Democrats nominate: Trump is going to trounce them.
Now, the most lame candidate of the Democrats is making Trump a looser?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That number is high in the U.S. entirely because of politically-motivated inflation of it. For example, if somebody had two months to live because of cancer, old age, diabetes or whatever, and pneumonia from covid-19 is the straw that broke the camel's back, is that really a covid-19 death?

Besides, blaming Trump for that is much like blaming Obama for the BP oil spill or something and is nothing but a red herring to try to distract from the fact that the economy is still thriving, ISIS has been rendered ineffective, and nobody's crying about the US invading or bombing the shit out of anybody lately. Futhermore, no, the Democrat candidate does not make Trump look like a fool: the Democrat candidate is demonstrably senile and and a notorious sex predator according to the very woman he chose to be his VP candidate, who herself is widely known to have fucked her way to success in her political career, a fact that has plagued her the entire time. That clown car of a shit show does not make ANYBODY look foolish except themselves.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just asking why you have to search for a 6 month old opinion piece ...
And yes I would blame Obama for the BP oil spill, like I make Trump accountable that ISIS is capturing Africa now - yesterday a town in Mozambique

That piece of feeling good you brought us here is your contribution to the Trump campaign?

PS: American fatallities of CoVid-19 loose 20y of their life in average.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't "search" for it; I just happened across this and hadn't heard of that #walkaway movement before.
o'bogamol
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/c/DrKarlynBorysenko

She hasn't really deviated from her opinion since February.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related to a recent video on her channel. I had to search and verify there was more than one reference:

Employees need masks even for at-home Zoom calls, Wisconsin agency says. Here’s why
Quote:
Some Wisconsin state officials aren’t fooling around when it comes to the spread of COVID-19.

In an email to employees sent out on July 31, the head of Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources not only reminded employees of Gov. Tony Evers’ mask order going into effect on Aug. 1, he also said that every DNR employee must wear a mask ... even while on a teleconference.

“Also, wear your mask, even if you are home, to participate in a virtual meeting that involves being seen — such as on Zoom or another video-conferencing platform — by non-DNR staff,” Preston Cole said, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”

Evers’ executive order said that face coverings are required to be worn whenever a person is in an enclosed space — other than a private residence. Some Wisconsin state officials aren’t fooling around when it comes to the spread of COVID-19.

In an email to employees sent out on July 31, the head of Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources not only reminded employees of Gov. Tony Evers’ mask order going into effect on Aug. 1, he also said that every DNR employee must wear a mask ... even while on a teleconference.

“Also, wear your mask, even if you are home, to participate in a virtual meeting that involves being seen — such as on Zoom or another video-conferencing platform — by non-DNR staff,” Preston Cole said, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “Set the safety example which shows you as a DNR public service employee care about the safety and health of others.”

Evers’ executive order said that face coverings are required to be worn whenever a person is in an enclosed space — other than a private residence.

Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I command my dog to "sit!" just so he can practice obeying me.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Related to a recent video on her channel. I had to search and verify there was more than one reference:
Quote:
Employees need masks even for at-home Zoom calls, Wisconsin agency says. ...

Is this really so scandalous? They want state employees to model good behavior.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the article:
(1) I don't get the impression that she is a Trump supporter, even now. I could be wrong, but at least in the article, she doesn't say she plans to vote for Trump - just that she thinks Trump will win, and that the people at the rally think Trump will fight for them.
(2) She doesn't make any policy based argument for why Trump or Republicans are better than Democrats. She just says that Trump rallies have energy and are unified around a singular goal (winning?). If you decide who to vote for based on just trying to pick the wining team, than perhaps this is useful. If you vote for a candidate who will enact policies that you support, there is nothing at all to see here.
(3) She seems shocked that most of the people going to Trump rallies are decent people. If true, and not just an affectation, then it really says more about her than about Republicans. I have a general rule that people who make a drastic change in political orientation are usually idiots who should not be listened to (i.e. David Brock) - the fact that you can suddenly change your conclusions significantly proves that your previous conclusions were not well thought out - which proves that you are the kind of person that holds strongly to poorly-thought-out opinions. She seems to be pretty close to this categorization.

Bottom line: this is the type of political advocacy I hate the most: policy free, emotional appeals.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like walking around indoors all day with a bicycle helmet on "to promote safe recreational activities". Its kind of retarded, whether some idiot thinks otherwise or not.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Regarding the article:
(1) I don't get the impression that she is a Trump supporter, even now. I could be wrong, but at least in the article, she doesn't say she plans to vote for Trump - just that she thinks Trump will win, and that the people at the rally think Trump will fight for them.
(2) She doesn't make any policy based argument for why Trump or Republicans are better than Democrats. She just says that Trump rallies have energy and are unified around a singular goal (winning?). If you decide who to vote for based on just trying to pick the wining team, than perhaps this is useful. If you vote for a candidate who will enact policies that you support, there is nothing at all to see here.
(3) She seems shocked that most of the people going to Trump rallies are decent people. If true, and not just an affectation, then it really says more about her than about Republicans. I have a general rule that people who make a drastic change in political orientation are usually idiots who should not be listened to (i.e. David Brock) - the fact that you can suddenly change your conclusions significantly proves that your previous conclusions were not well thought out - which proves that you are the kind of person that holds strongly to poorly-thought-out opinions. She seems to be pretty close to this categorization.

Bottom line: this is the type of political advocacy I hate the most: policy free, emotional appeals.

Maybe you missed the part where she said most of the people she sees on the left are acting like hateful babies emotionally screaming lies and nonsense. If you want policy, how about a policy to have policy instead of emotionally screaming lies and hateful nonsense?

She basically is saying she is disgusted by the policy-free emotional politics of the left. And yet here you are accusing her of that. it seems pretty obvious to me that you not only missed the point but went off into another dimension of reality distortion.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Maybe you missed the part where she said most of the people she sees on the left are acting like hateful babies screaming lies and nonsense. If you want policy, how about a policy to have policy instead of screaming lies and hateful nonsense?

Yea, I must have missed that. Can you quote it for me?

Quote:
She basically is saying she hates policy-free emotional politics. And you're accusing her of that. it seems pretty obvious to me that you not only missed the point but went off into another dimension of reality distortion.

So like when Sally says "I hate drama" just before telling you about how Andrea called Melissa a bitch, because she found out that Melissa had been talking about Andrea's outfits for weeks, and ...

People that actually hate drama don't spend time bitching about drama.

People that actually hate emotional politics don't write entire articles based on emotional feelings about politics.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... Yeah, they do, if "based on" means complaining about. Think about what you just said. And stop quibbling. Orange Man Bad is not policy any more than Hope and Change was a strategy.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Sally, I’m not interested.
richk449
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:

Read this instead:
https://airmail.news/issues/2020-8-15/taking-and-making-liberties
(It's okay, it's got plenty of drama to keep you interested.)
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:

Take the red pill bruh,
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richk449 wrote:
Is this really so scandalous? They want state employees to model good behavior.
When there's a confirmed case of transmission via Zoom, then it might be a reasonable expectation.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: