GNOME butchers all programs when I log out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: GNOME butchers all programs when I log out Reply with quote

I mean to say, it just kills them immediately. Is there a way to tell GNOME to be more gentle? For example, send them a SIGTERM, wait a few seconds, then send a SIGKILL?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's a vicious little gnome...

Are there any specific applications you're worried about?

Most DEs don't actually send a term or kill your applications. It stops the controlling thread of your X server, and X subsequently quits, and then your applications will notice the X server pipe closed and then die when that happens. Ideally the applications should notice when the pipe closes and cleans up itself.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Most DEs don't actually send a term or kill your applications.

Actually for GNOME under systemd (as I assume) it is probably rather different: All applications are started in the same cgroup, and the whole cgroup is destroyed when the session is left. This even applies to things like "screen", "tmux", "nohup", etc, which are normally not killed when a DE is left.
IIRC, there is some option in some file from /etc/systemd/*.conf which controls this behavior.
Alternatively, if you have root permissions, you can also echo the PIDs of the jobs you want to keep to /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd/user.slice/tasks
Without root permissions and without the adminstrator setting the systemd options, it is not possible to keep jobs in the background running: This is so, because this might be undesired in some machine pools.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gawd, logind plus those cgroups, forgot about that. That's sure annoying. I don't know, then again I've heard of annoying sysadmins that absolutely do not want people leaving "unapproved" nohup jobs on any machines in the server farm and thus would love this functionality instead of running a cronjob that kills everything... Oh no... a bastard sysadmin who would like systemd cgroups? *shiver*

Also I don't have any idea what wayland does when its control thread quits. I suspect something needs to signal to all applications and chances are, just like traditional X, the kernel will signal.
Monq
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't got a clue about the intricacies of the system, but what I do know is that applications are forcefully killed.

When I log back in, Firefox often shows me its "oops I've crashed, let's try and restore your tabs" screen. I also use an IRC client and instead of showing my quit message when I log out, it shows a message that clearly implies the application was killed.

So I was wondering if I was missing a package, or maybe a USE flag, or some configuration option, because this behaviour is not sane.

Yes I use systemd, but without wayland.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a note to self, to tell the difference between systemd killing versus X killing, try running firefox like this:

$ systemd-run --user --scope firefox

Then logout and see if the behavior is different.

I just tried logging out with firefox running on xfce4 (systemd) without the above, and firefox actually remembered the session without indicating it died... Hmm...was unexpected (to me) behavior...
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ususal behaviour is to kill everything when you log out, or the X server dies

I do not get your point.

Why should the "apps " keep on running / consume power / consume hardware memory.

log out vs switch user (which afaik gnome 2 supported at some point)

you have to start it differently when you want to keep your processes regardless of the x-server
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP wants each individual app to get a chance to save state and/or do self cleanup if it wants to trap the signal to die.

Right now, the combination of gnome+systemd (most likely) is simply kill -SIGKILL the programs and thus disallow the save termination of the programs. Theoretically the suggested run will tell systemd to NOT kill firefox -- but firefox will still die because it will lose connection to the terminating X server. However it may trap that and save state properly.

I don't know if this is common knowledge that programs should never be given SIGKILL unless the program is doing harm and not otherwise responding due to traps (SIGTERM can be trapped). Thus I don't know why systemd is doing this...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: