[SOLVED] No graphs in my KDE Plasma 5 monitor widgets
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] No graphs in my KDE Plasma 5 monitor widgets Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just installed KDE Plasma 5 on Gentoo Linux with systemd as my init system for the first time. Everything is working far better than I expected, except my KDE system (Network, CPU Load, Memory Status) monitor widgets (i.e., they're on the KDE Plasma panel across the bottom of the screen) which while they show the percentage of their respective resource used they do not show the blue graph they usually display showing their respective resource usage against time. This screenshot shows what's being shown on Gentoo atm https://goo.gl/photos/eA4DF1m1bhGSggri9 (I would show it in this post via the img BBCode tags, but atm I can't seem to upload images to imgur, although I can upload them to Google Photos but I can't seem to get a straight, simple image link for Google Photos pics so I must direct you to the Google Photos website instead where the picture is). While this (https://goo.gl/photos/tyQ7aMDczoS2MN6b6) is what was showed on another OS with the graphs in the system monitors that I want. What do I need to do to get the graphs shown in these system monitor widgets? If what I mean by system monitor widgets is unclear I have labelled them in this screenshot https://goo.gl/photos/6d3nisTstJt6P7FcA.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

Last edited by fusion809 on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install KDE Plasma and what USE flags did you manually enable or disable?
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge kde-plasma/plasma-meta I used to install KDE Plasma. The rest, well feel free to see for yourself, I've got my Portage config settings (including package.use, package.keywords, make.conf, etc.) in this repository https://github.com/fusion809/gentoo-config. My profile (if you're wondering if I messed that up, as it is a fair assumption it is my first successful time using Gentoo outside a VM) is:

Code:

default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop/plasma/systemd
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing specific to spot here, but a couple things:

You're using nvidia-drivers - don't set egl, gles and gles2 globally, it will only make you unhappy for all we have seen in here. Some packages may require it on mesa, which you can fix in package.use, but in Qt packages it means that gles2 would be chosen _instead_ of full opengl. That may or may not affect your widgets, right now I'm surprised you're not actually getting a black screen instead of a desktop.

make.conf:
- You may also want to configure your INPUT_DEVICES so you don't build unnecessary drivers you don't use.

package.use:
- webkit-gtk comes last in the list, which makes it a dumping ground for your extensive use of --autounmask-write. A big part in there seems to be the result of installing wine and its need for 32-bit dependencies so you may want to put that in a different file to keep it organised, but I can also see a bunch of other stuff at the end.
- iputils - similar observations
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly set the OpenGL-related USE flags globally because without that setting it seemed like every package drawn in by kde-plasma/plasma-meta needed me to adjust its USE flags adding in gles2, gles, egl, etc. What can I say USE flag setting is not my favourite way of passing the time :P. I'll give your suggestions a go though, as I do have a desire for as much speed as possible on my system. By-the-way INPUT_DEVICES I haven't seen an example usage of it on the Wiki or elsewhere is it similar to the USE setting in negatives are also accepted (to say that support for the particular INPUT_DEVICE should not be provided)?

e.g., INPUT_DEVICES="-input_devices_joystick" would build packages WITHOUT input_devices_joystick support

Last edited by fusion809 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it behaves just as VIDEO_CARDS, so as long as you don't set it all drivers are selected, you can't deselect stuff in there. See also https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#make.conf

gles2 USE flag really shouldn't bother you much using plasma profile, it only gets messy when it is selectively switched on (some packages will fail to build, some will then also force gles2= on dependencies - that means the setting needs to be simultaneously switched on or off on a string of deps), with the exception being mesa where it is only an additional support flag, not disabling anything.

Last edited by asturm on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally doubt these settings will affect my widgets. I've built with the same config settings (except without Wayland support) on Funtoo Linux and for Funtoo the widgets work perfectly. That screenshot of the graphs working was from Funtoo, rofl.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it as well, I don't have an instant solution for you there. But Funtoo does many things differently these days and they fork plenty of ebuilds.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah this is odd adding this line:

INPUT_DEVICES="input_devices_mouse"

to /etc/portage/package.use causing xorg-drivers to be rebuilt with these changes:

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.19  INPUT_DEVICES="-keyboard* -libinput* -mouse*"

Call me crazy but this seems like an error after all I explicited said in the INPUT_DEVICES field to have mouse support.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rofl sorry, was meant to have just mouse in the INPUT_DEVICES field.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, mouse driver is deprecated for years. You likely have either evdev or libinput active.

Second, that's not how you do it. USE=input_devices_mouse in package.use translates to INPUT_DEVICES=mouse in make.conf.
fusion809
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done the whole recompilation with those GLOBAL USE flags related to OpenGL disabled and only enabled on a per-application basis. Thought it hadn't made a difference until after I pressed Alt+F2 and ran:

Code:

killall plasmashell && plasmashell

and now this issue is fixed. Bizarre given that on Funtoo it made no difference.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: